Tire Size Matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodgeman

We have been searching for some time for motorhomes, trying to find a newer, 34', 2003 or up with relatively low miles. We have found 3 that are equipped and priced about the same, except one has the 22 inch tires rather than the 19 inch: (I am not sure of the exact sizes, they may be 19.5 and 22.5)
'03 National SeaBreeze with 22 inch tires
'04 Fleetwood Southwind with 19 inch tires
'04 Itasca Sunrise with 19 inch tires.
The question is, does this tire size make a significant difference in driving, handling, ride, etc?
I would appreciate any input in this matter,
Regards,
Dodgeman

Don't know for sure on a MH, but some of my friends have 'upgraded' their cars and it seemed that the ride was a bit harsher due to less sidewall flex. For the next few years, I would imagine your biggest difference will be what you will have to shell out if you have to replace replace them (I believe 19.5's are more common than 22.5's).

A few years back, I thought I was the cat's meow when I got a new truck that 17" tires. That is until I had to replace one of them that came apart at 70MPH --- ouch and double ouch -- no one was hurt including the truck, the backend just got awfully squirlly (sp). Sure glad that it was determined to be mfg defect and only had to shell out $20 to cover the wear. At the time (June 2000) they were $150 each, and there was only 1 available in the entire Denver area. Just before I traded up, we had to replace all 4 and it was a bit better (only $125 each).

Larry

You probably won't notice the difference between 19's and 22.5's.  I wouldn't bother considering the tire size difference when selecting among those motorhomes, unless you are gung ho for the "diesel look".  The larger 22.5's will make some folks think you have a diesel pusher.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom