What do you see out your window? (April 2013)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Bluebonnets are in bloom, the air conditioning was turned on this afternoon and the sun was shining.  A beautiful day in the Hill Country.  It's 80F right now at sunset.

Ned said:
The Bluebonnets are in bloom, the air conditioning was turned on this afternoon and the sun was shining.  A beautiful day in the Hill Country.  It's 80F right now at sunset.

As I recall last year we were planting tomatoes about the time Carolyn in the Houston area was starting to pick hers.  We do have a short summer hopefully from about May 15 to Sept. 15.  That is our usual frost free time but don't bet on it as you will likely lose!  :(

We can have snow any month of the year but I don't think we have recorded snow in the valley in August.  Again, no bets on that either!

Jeff,

We do actually!  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
In CA it is illegal to text while driving - but have not read that it's illegal to photograph the Grapevine while driving.  :)

Think Again Bob!!!  http://news.yahoo.com/calif-court-motorist-cant-hand-held-map-215700890.html

captsteve said:
Think Again Bob!!!  http://news.yahoo.com/calif-court-motorist-cant-hand-held-map-215700890.html

Interesting article -- thank you . . .

Both the judge and defendant made some good points on the shortcomings of the law - in terms of what presents a distraction. For example I eat meals all the time while driving, spend time getting a correct radion station, or whatever. Also, the ruling only applies in Fresno county and I totally avoid the 99 freeway south of Stockton. The picture was taken with my smart phone, I had the butts of both hands on the wheel, was looking straight ahead, and the total time involved was only a few seconds.

As mentioned in my post, the texting law contains only a ban on texting - nothing to do with anything else.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23123_5.htm

Anyway - what did you thing of the picture?  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
As mentioned in my post, the texting law contains only a ban on texting - nothing to do with anything else.
Kind of like the fishing permit laws in Missouri.  If you have a fishing pole in your hand at the lake then you are fishing...even if you are just holding it for your grandkid.  So, you better have a valid fishing permit.  Or, in your case, sounds like you'd better not be holding a phone while driving.

I occasionally see a sight I'd like to snap a picture of while driving, but I consciously don't grab my phone or camera. Two thoughts run through my mind, making the decision a no-brainer. Not necessarily in this order:

• Being stopped by a CHP or other LEO, and trying to plead that I wasn't texting or making a voice call.
  • Beinq distracted, even for a few seconds, is a sure recipe for an accident.

If it's convenient and doesn't hinder other drivers, I'll pull over and snap the picture. If not, I'll pass on the Kodak moment and either snap it next time, or forget all about it.

In addition to local landscapes, one of a number of "scenes" I see regularly is one of the dumb folks who insist on parking their car in a location that blocks visibilty of a crossing outside  a local school. I'm already driving slow/cautiously and looking for kids dashing out from behind cars or school buses. But, not having visibility of the crossing has me crawling along, with my foot on the brake pedal.

In the same location, I also get nervous when the "lollipop lady" (aka crossing guard) is too busy talking to friends, paying no attention to oncoming traffic.

The one that probably frustrates me most is seeing young moms drop off or pick up their kids at the school, and drive out onto the street without slowing down or even looking to see if any vehicles are approaching. They do this with a cell phone in one hand, whille they're looking over their shoulder and yelling at &/or whacking the kid(s) in the rear seats.

All of the above scenarios give me the urge to grab my phone or camera, but then I'd be equally guilty and equally likely to cause an accident.

Tom said:
I occasionally see a sight I'd like to snap a picture of while driving, but I consciously don't grab my phone or camera. Two thoughts run through my mind, making the decision a no-brainer. Not necessarily in this order:

• Being stopped by a CHP or other LEO, and trying to plead that I wasn't texting or making a voice call.
  • Beinq distracted, even for a few seconds, is a sure recipe for an accident.

If it's convenient and doesn't hinder other drivers, I'll pull over and snap the picture. If not, I'll pass on the Kodak moment and either snap it next time, or forget all about it.

All good points, Tom - but do you pull over to change the station on your radio, or take a bite of that cookie sitting on the console, or the many other items that take one hand and eyes from the road for less than a second? If so, then you spend more time away from eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel than I did taking that pic.

The smart phone is sitting on the consle all the time as noted in my post. So here is the scenario on the Grapvine,

o Am in the 35mph truck lane. The truck in front is at a safe distance, the truck behind is even farther away. Am actually driving less than 35mph at the time.

o Time to tap the camera app on the phone while it sits on the console = fraction of a second. That makes camera app ready to fire in auto mode.

o Eyes back on road.

o With eyes on the road, pick up smart phone w/one hand. Left hand remains on wheel. Hold SF in right hand with butt of right hand on the wheel. Eyes have never left the road.

o Peripheral vision sufficent to see LCD while looking down the roadway as I would be anyway.

o Tap shutter button image on LCD screen with thumb - no buttons to push.

o Set SF back on console without taking left hand from the wheel or eyes from the road.

Tom, again, your points are well taken, but in this case I spent less time with my right hand off the wheel or my eyes from the road that most anyone reading this post most likely spends on any day driving their RV - or  their toad.

The CA texting law makes sense, and I would never text while driving - or look at a Google map as the fellow from Fresno did. Actually, having driven the Grapevine dozens and dozens of times, I know what gear to be in, what lane to be in - and from then on, it is very slow, safe, and somewhat boring. In the time that you or I would look around away from the road at something we would like a shot of, I had taken the shot.

Photo not in my meadow but could have been all last week ... here's our weather forecast for rest of this week .... Has to end sometime soon..

7-DAY FORECAST
    Tonight A chance of rain showers, snow, freezing rain, and sleet before 10pm, then snow likely, possibly mixed with sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 27. East northeast wind 14 to 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of around an inch possible.
    Thursday Freezing rain and sleet before 1pm, then rain and freezing rain, possibly mixed with sleet. High near 31. East wind 21 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of around a 0.1 of an inch possible. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
    Thursday Night Freezing rain before 10pm, then freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow between 10pm and 1am, then snow after 1am. Low around 26. East northeast wind 14 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
    Friday Periods of snow. High near 34. Northeast wind 7 to 10 mph becoming north northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
    Friday Night A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Northwest wind around 8 mph.
    Saturday A chance of flurries before 1pm, then a chance of sprinkles and flurries. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.
    Saturday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.
    Sunday Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39.

Attachments

• Springs Almost Here.jpg
    Springs Almost Here.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 32
Bob,

No need to explain, as I don't believe I challenged or commented on your ability to multi-task while driving. I also didn't quote any part of your message. OTOH I do know that there's no way I could take a picture without becoming distracted, but I'm a self-confessed long-time photographic neophyte.

do you pull over to change the station on your radio, or take a bite of that cookie sitting on the console

Yes and no:

If I'm driving and I want the radio on, I set the channel before leaving our driveway, and I've been known to pull over on the rare times I change channel. OTOH at least one of our vehicles has all the radio controls on the steering wheel, under the driver's thumbs, so I suppose I could use them if I wanted to channel hop. If Chris drives, as she does 95% of our time in the coach, I set her iPod to play random songs via the Bose system.

I don't believe I've ever had cookies on the dash while driving. Just last evening, at our uke practice, someone tried to give me a box of cookies as a 'thank you' for a favor I'd done. I suggested she share them among band members. Realizing I might have inadvertently offended her by refusing to take them, I subsequently explained that I try to stay away from cookies, because I'm a cookie monster and wouldn't eat just one.

[quote author=Ned]All good reasons for a dash cam.[/quote]

Not for me. Before I buy a dash cam, I'll walk down to the school and snap some pics.

Our view has changed again. We are now in Torrey, UT near Capital Reef N.P. This is our view in the campground.  :)

Attachments

• IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 41
Been there, done that, loved it, miss the opportunity to share it again with you and Pat!

Margi

Jim Dick said:
Our view has changed again. We are now in Torrey, UT near Capital Reef N.P. This is our view in the campground.  :)
Great picture. I just gotta get out of here and back on the road.

Out my front window I see RAIN. Damn, you would think I was in Florida. Oh wait, I am in Florida. I would sure like to meet the clown who named this the "Sunshine State". ::)

This was originally named Mosquito County and changed to Orange county in 1845, we may not have the sunshine but we sure have the mosquitos.

Back
Top Bottom