Basement Compartment door Gas Spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

I am having a problem figuring out what replacement gas spring I need for the basement compartment immediately behind the pax side front wheel on my 03 UA.  This door has only one gas spring while all the others have two each. The parts book says "21"/45 lb" for all. Last year while in Indiana I took the original/failing spring to a surplus parts place. After some analysis of what I had by the guy there I took home an 80lb. (there are no numbers on the original). The new 80lb is worse than the failing original.  There is no way the original is 45lb, but even the factory tells me that's what it is.  When I press it against a scale I get 95lb. With the new 80lb spring I get 91lb. NEITHER of these will hold up the door. Does anyone know what strength I actually need for this door? I can get stronger ones through local auto parts stores but am unsure how strong I should go.  120lb?  140lb?

I'm having a similar problem on my Winn Adventurer (similar size doors).

I ordered 6 new ones from PLCcenter.com (Radwell International). The ones that I received are exactly the same pt# as the ones that are on my coach and the new ones are 1/2 the strength of the old weak ones that I already have. Very frustrating. I am sending them back today, along with a sample of an old one.

Back
Top Bottom