free wifi hot spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gia

We are renting an RV for the first time and going on a road trip from Canada down to Arizona.  Where can we find free wifi hot spots?

Thanks!

Some (many?) campgrounds include WiFi in their nightly fee. Various establishments such as McDonalds provide free WiFi.

Here are a few articles in our forum library that also provide some pointers on funding WiFi hotspots, although some of the information is a little dated: Here, here and here.

The most reliable way to find a free WiFi hot spot is to go to the local library. Almost every RV park I stay in offers free WiFi but virtually none of them work good enough to actually use.

McDonald's. Buy a $1 soda with free refills and sit there drinking while you compute.

SeilerBird said:
The most reliable way to find a free WiFi hot spot is to go to the local library. Almost every RV park I stay in offers free WiFi but virtually none of them work good enough to actually use.

Don't know where you have been staying, but I have very rarely had problems with RV parks' wifi.

McDonalds, Starbucks, etc. have worked for me.  If you're using GPS, try the POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/).  I haven't tried the POI (points of interest) file for wifi, but I have loaded others into my Garmin.  It tells you how far & how to get to a nearby wifi place.

Chet18013 said:
If you have an iPhone, there's an app that lists free wifi around you.

Also for Android called WiFi Finder.

BruceinFL said:
Don't know where you have been staying, but I have very rarely had problems with RV parks' wifi.

I think the answer depends on what you are expecting the wifi to be able to do.  If all you are doing is checking your email then almost any connection will do.  If you are actively surfing the web, reading news stories and social media you're going to need a more reliable system with higher throughout.  If you expect to stream video you probably shouldn't even consider it.

We find that most CG wifi's can provide the basics (email) but aren't consistent enough for an hour of web-surfing without experiencing numerous slow-downs.  Some are better than others, but, since we have an unlimited Verizon account, we usually use our own connection rather than deal with wifi.

If you need the really high speed broadband service for streaming video, you can get a Verizon aircard for their 4G service.  Mine was about $50 for 5GB per month.  I think it's about $60 for an unlimited plan.  Their website shows a coverage map for the entire U.S.  I have their unlimited cell service plus the internet service for $100 per month.  Good luck!

This is a very old topic and the original poster has never been back to reply.  Also, Verizon no longer has any unlimited data plans, only unlimited voice and messaging.

Back
Top Bottom