Back up camera, Wired vs. Wireless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrivePirates

So, after looking into backup cameras, we're just not sure which way to go. The RV lot we purchased our land yacht from has quoted us a (portable wireless suction cup 5.6" monitor to front windshield with 12V cord for accessory outlet and permanent installed camera to rear. $950 installed) and (The hardwired system 7" monitor/camera is $1650. installed.) They have not specified which brand they are quoting but I see Voyager units from www.rvcams.com at $699 for a wireless 5.6" and $729 for the 7" wired unit. Have any of you out there wired one of these units up? I see it being a bit tricky getting the wire behind all the paneling but if I were to go under the rig to the back it wouldn't be all that difficult. I just don't like the idea of having the wire run up the outside of the rig to the camera. Any tricks? I would love some insight on this. Also, are the infared units worth getting for night driving with the toad?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Look under your coach, there are lots of wires under there. One more is not gonna hurt. Wired is the way to go, you will get a much better picture.

If you have marker lights or any thing else removable on the top of the back, you should be able to fish the cable up to mount the camera.

I will check it out. I wasn't sure if it has markers. So I'm assuming it would be fairly easy to install myself then. I own a fish tape already, I figured it would be about that simple but wasn't sure.

I went wireless with my camera because of the easy install. I still had to run a wire for power from the dash, all the way to the back, then fish it through the end cap.

It works well overall, and I'm about 95% happy with the wireless. It's interesting at times going through town as it will sometimes pick up signals from inside convenience stores. I get flashes of shoppers at the registers and other places. Sometimes the interference is so bad it washes out most of the picture. That seems to happen mostly when I try to back out of my driveway for some reason. But 95% plus of the time when I need it, it works perfect.

HTH

Michael

Joe:

I'm not sure I would run a video cable unprotected either but a small diameter non-metallic conduit is very inexpensive and easy to manage to encase the cables.

We've decided to go wired. I was going to do the install myself but after looking into the rear wall of the coach decided against it. We figured that letting the pros deal with it to have it done professionally would be better if things went wrong. Figured 1200 for a 5.6 color night vision Voyager was not all that bad. Best price on the system alone was 620. So for 580 I'll let someone else deal with the wiring and headache of the install. I'll handle wiring the toad and installing the tow bar system. WAY MORE my fortay. Should be ready in a week or so. ribbet

I replaced my original failed B&W camera and CRT monitor with a Rear View Safety 7" color system with an LCD monitor for $220 from Amazon.com. I ran the camera cable inside the frame rail under the coach, so it's well protected from road hazards. Fishing it up through the rear cap was a bit of a challenge, but perseverance and a good electrician's steel fish tape won out. I'm very pleased with the performance, and the IR lights on the camera are big help for night time backing.

I did the same as NY_DUTCH. The Rear View Safety 7" from Amazon is the way to go. The cost was right and the Customer Service was excellent. I am very pleased with the clarity of the picture.

NY_Dutch said:
I replaced my original failed B&W camera and CRT monitor with a Rear View Safety 7" color system with an LCD monitor for $220 from Amazon.com. I ran the camera cable inside the frame rail under the coach, so it's well protected from road hazards. Fishing it up through the rear cap was a bit of a challenge, but perseverance and a good electrician's steel fish tape won out. I'm very pleased with the performance, and the IR lights on the camera are big help for night time backing.

Where were you a couple of weeks ago when we started this thread? LOL It's a done deal now. Went with the 5.6 for cabin size reasons. Thanks though, if and when this one goes out we will keep this in mind.

It's all good. I'm sure there will be more info we will need that you can help with. Glad to hear you made it back to port safe and sound

Advantages the way you did it:

More resistant to outside interference, and in a motor home or other RV we have lots of electronic "Noise makers" (They make Radio Frequency Noise that can interfere with wireless stuff)..

No dead remote batteries.

If the monitor has dual input (or if you add an inline switch) the monitor can come in  handy for other things too.  Example. slave oen input (Video only) to the Video out on your sat receiver and if you have a roof mount antenna you and change position slowly in a park to get past the evil signal eating tree.  (Even with a dish you can move slowly if you avoid limbs and such)  NOTE Switch to BACK UP CAMERA before you leave site.

On my coach I got a camera that looks a bit like a hotel door peep hole, and mounted it right below (I'd rahter have been above but above was not an option) the fuel filler (Gas cap this being a gasser) now I pull into the station, switch to "B" on the monitor and when the pump is centered on the monitor, I shut down and fill up.

John From Detroit said:
On my coach I got a camera that looks a bit like a hotel door peep hole, and mounted it right below (I'd rahter have been above but above was not an option) the fuel filler (Gas cap this being a gasser) now I pull into the station, switch to "B" on the monitor and when the pump is centered on the monitor, I shut down and fill up.
Very nice. GREAT IDEA!!

Sorry to steal your thread but I also installed a camera and monitor. First I went wireless and the signal was bad, it keep flickering so I called the company I bought it from and they sent me a new camera and wiring. I ran the wiring from the front of the coach and tied into the rear running lights and used the cig. lighter for power to the monitor but still get flickering. Sometime it works and sometime it doesn't. :-( I have a lot of excess wire, could that be my problem or possible the cig lighter power. Should I hard wire the power for the monitor. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey Barry,
Hijack my thread???? TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!!! Hopefully you can get some input as well. I believe the rv place that is installing our camera is going to hard wire the monitor as well as the camera. I will let you know how ours works when it gets done. GOOD LUCK!!!!

one thing to remember when your looking at back up cameras is to buy the one that gives you the most wide angle, some cameras will give you the pic straight back while others will give you a wide angle allowing you to see to the sides and even someone standing to the left or right of the vehicle, i work at a honda dealer and their cameras are great i can see people or cars right next to the car on the left or right, look for the one  that can give you 170 degrees or better it may be hard to find one but well worth the price trust me

Hi,  I have just bought a 29" class C motorhome, and I would like to put a wireless back up camera on it. I found this online ; http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameraKits/7-Monitor-with-Wireless-Mounted-RV-Backup-Camera . Have anyone any experience with this one or any other suggestion?

Was this for a MH?  We just bought a FW and are considering a back-up camera for it, but not sure if/how that would work?  Now that I'm thinking about it - I guess it would HAVE to be wireless. 

Michele

It's for a motorhome, but I'm sure it will work for a 5th wheel/camping trailer also. Just click on link in my previous posting. There is a video there...  :)

nice set up halion however i would look at the cameras that give you the widest angle looking at you link you posted they also have a 170 degrees angle camera i would get that http://www.tadibrothers.com/Catalog/BackupCameraKits/9-Monitor-and-a-170-Bumper-Backup-Camera
cost is about the same and running it would be no big deal dont be afraid to run the 50 foot cable to get a solid signal and you can also hook up the power wire to make the the camera and monitor turn on and off whenever you put it in reverse. running the wires don't necessarily mean you have to run it inside the mh you can get some tubing from any auto parts and then run it from underneath the chassis just put some tape on the video connectors to make it a little water proof other than that its no big deal. im gonna do just that ill post pics if you want to give you an idea. now i would not buy the video cable from them you can buy a 50 ft composite video cable  for about $25 bucks compare to the $35 at that site being in the business i can give you a few links so you can compare and buy. now i am not promoting any business or website i dont work for any of them or any way affiliated  with any business, now if i get a request or pm ill post the links for this websites

Back
Top Bottom