05' Sunova Roof Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

100plus

This past weekend, we got caught in nasty wind storm out in the So. Cal Desert. The winds were gusting from 50 to 80 MPH. We were in our 2005 Itasca Sunova and it sustained damage to the roof. The wind pulled up and ripped off a section of the top fiberglass layer. Specifically the rear passenger side corner. I was able to stop in a location that was protected from the wind and tape down the edges so that the remaining layer of fiberglass was not ripped off.

I called a shop out here in So Cal. and they we're telling me that this is a known defect on Winnebago's so much so that at the shop they call it a flying roof. Anyway, they are telling me that they will have to replace the entire roof. I can see that makes sense as the roof is one piece. But they are also recommending that we replace it with a rubber roof rather than a fiberglass roof. The reason they recommend rubber is because the fiberglass roof on this model has design flaw in the rear corner that allows air to get under the fiberglass and the potential for the roof tearing off again. I've heard that rubber roofs rot and require a great deal of maintenance and have always heard that fiberglass is the best way to go. But in this case I'm not sure which of the two options to go with. Do any of you have experiences, opinions or suggestions on this subject?

Thanks,

I would take it to a Winnebago or Itasca dealer service that is familiar with the unique Winnebago roof construction.  I DEFINITELY would not replace my fiberglass roof with a rubber roof. The fiberglass roof is pretty much maintenance free except for the sealant. There were a couple of years during which the fiberglass roof sheets were apparently cut a bit short, therefore being more likely to come loose. But the main reason for Winnebago roofs coming loose is lack of maintenance or improper maintenance of the edge sealant.

Hi 100plus - do you have a first name we can call you?  Welcome.

I have heard very occasional reports (maybe a couple in the last seven years) of a roof lifting up and I suspect this might have been attributed to not paying attention to the requirement of inspecting the roof-sidewall joint periodically.  Design flaw?  Hardly.

Replacing it with a rubber roof?  Yikes, that is something that I would not personally consider.

John,

my names Luis and thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on the maintenance requirements for fibreglass roofs? When we bought the motohome used in 07' the dealer told us it was maintenance free. This is our first RV and are learning as we go.

Luis 

I live in SoCal & I know you got caught in some wicked winds.  My nephew bought my '99 Winnie and didn't do any roof seal maintenance & lost about 5 x 2 ft of fiberglass roof by the wind turbines there by Palm Springs.  He had it repaired at Premium RV in La Habra, Ca and they just replaced the missing fiberglass. 

I had some rear end fiberglass damage on my '04 Winnie repaired at "The Paint Department" in Chino, Ca.  They do awesome work there and have 50 amp hookups so you can stay in your rig the whole time during the repair.... except a couple of hours while (if it's) in the paint booth.  While I was there they had over 60 rv's going on in some stage.....very impressive operation.

Good luck,
Bill

PS
Go here for ALL the Winnebago Service Tips, see 2010 for roof seal maintenance.... 
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/servicetips.php

100plus said:
.. Can you elaborate on the maintenance requirements for fibreglass roofs?..
Hi Luis,

The roof-sidewall joint needs to inspected every six months to be sure of the integrity of the sealant that sits between the Filon (your roof material) and the aluminum extrusion that sits on top of the sidewall.

Thank you all for your input, I'll give Winnebago a call on the 10 year roof warranty and feel better about replacing the roof with fiberglass.

I would second that, fiberglass roofs are highly superior to rubber roofs in nearly every way. The only time I can think of that rubber may be a better choice is if the roof is not flat and had various elevation changes from front to back.

The fiberglass roof material has a 10 year warranty (so does rubber or TPO), but the installation of it is covered only by the standard one year RV warranty, so no joy there.

Somehow the joint at the edge of the roof got exposed enough for wind to get under and lift it. There is a mechanical joint there between roof and sidewall, plus sealant over the joint to keep out water. Inspecting the sealant on the joints and replacing or touching-up as needed is an annual maintenance chore that wise owners do to prevent future leaks. I don't think the leak sealant itself would stop wind damage, but if the sealant has failed and water gets into the mechanical joint, I can see how the resultant damage to the joint could make it more vulnerable to wind.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The fiberglass roof material has a 10 year warranty (so does rubber or TPO), but the installation of it is covered only by the standard one year RV warranty, so no joy there.

According to the Winnebago warranty on my last two Winnebago products, the roof is covered by a 10-year standard limited parts-and-labor roof skin warranty. I would assume that a roof that blows off in a wind storm would be covered. Winnebago advertisement makes a big deal out of this 10-year claim. Since I have never had a problem with either coach, I can't say how well they honor the warranty. I would certainly make a claim and see what happens.

R

RLSharp said:
According to the Winnebago warranty on my last two Winnebago products, the roof is covered by a 10-year standard limited parts-and-labor roof skin warranty. I would assume that a roof that blows off in a wind storm would be covered. Winnebago advertisement makes a big deal out of this 10-year claim. Since I have never had a problem with either coach, I can't say how well they honor the warranty. I would certainly make a claim and see what happens.
I have gone thru the battles with the manufacturer of the roof material.  After about 6 yrs, I had a lot of cracks along the full length of both sides where it makes the bend down to the side wall.  I was told by a Winnie dealer and a repair shop that it was defective material.  So I pursued a warranty claim and was denied 3 times.  When I filed in small claim court, they promptly mailed me a check. 

Without some evidence of a material defect, you don't stand a chance of getting warranty coverage.  Because it cracked when the wind bent the material won't be enough.

However, I believe your coach insurance will cover 100% minus your deductible.  AAA covered my nephew's roof repair and a new awning that ripped off too.

Good luck,
Bill 

We have had three instances of the wind lifting the roof in our small 28 member WIT Club in North Dakota. The caulked seal alone does prevent the wind getting under the Filon roof material. In all three instances insurance covered the repair.

Winnebago and dealers don't make enough of a point about this 6 month  to annual maintenance requirement and some dealers are not adept at the caulking, turning it over to the lowest man on the totem pole to do. This typically results in an expensive mess, usually using the wrong sealant. I don't know why they don't do a seminar on it at GNR.

Another thing that is usually never mentioned is the Winnebago requirement to remove the windshield upper trim after a heavy rain to allow the windshield channel to dry out. I think that these two items could have been made maintenance free with proper design

Another thing that I think could be engineered, is an adhesive for the walls that isn't water soluble to prevent delamination.

The ten year warranty is only good if the required inspections are done.

This is a link to a drawing of the roof cross section  HERE

To inspect the joint press the fiberglass toward the roof and look for a small separation.
Winnebago uses a special adhesive sealant. You can get the part number for your coach from the sealant call out on the Winnebago web site HERE . You can also download a complete parts catalog for your particular coach. You may have to call Winnebago with your VIN and ask them to cross it to your coach ID number first.

On mine it is Manus-Bond 75-AM from Manus Products Waconia MN. 952 442 3323

Back
Top Bottom