Avast Internet Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While Avast has ranked well in most tests, I still prefer the free Microsoft Security Essentials.  There are other free products available that work well that I don't think it necessary to pay for a security/ant-virus program.  The Windows firewall is more than sufficient so there is no real need for a second one for most people.  None of the anti-virus programs will catch all malware, so it really doesn't matter much what you use, but do use something.  Some protection is better than none.

most internet providers have free security suite free of charge while some free version are pretty good they dont offer full protection, for spyware i use a free tool called spybot search and destroy is a very good free spyware removal tool. here is the link for cnet http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html also kim kommando offers some really good advise on some free software just do a google search on her name, avg is also a good free antivirus but only antivirus!!

Caught a couple of viruses while using Norton, been using Avast free for several years and never a problem. Can't respond to the
pay for Avast program, never used it.

I have used the free version for several years NO issue with viruses. Now malware whole other issue you will need to run a couple of programs like ned said theres not just one that does it all correctly. Advanced system care has worked very well for me also have the search and destroy program have used it since the early 90's. There is really no reason to have to pay a company directly S&D has a donate option the others can be upgraded for a fee. If your heavy into goinging around the net make sure your firewall is on and anti-virus up to date you should not have to many issues.

One thing to remember is to not run more than one full time AV program, they will conflict and cause you more problems.  You can run multiple stand alone malware scanners like Malwarebytes, Search & Destroy, etc. and that's a good method.  But the best defense is to use common sense when on the internet.  Don't open unexpected email attachments, don't click on links if you don't know where they're going to take you, keep your operating system updated with all security updates, and keep your browser security set high and up to date.

Sorry ::) The scam is if the prince can send you a check to cash and then send him back some of the funds you get to keep some for helping him. Of course BIG SCAM you get a check that will bounce so high it has to file a flight plan.

Then there's the late Prince's widow that needs your help in getting the millions of dollars out of Nigeria.

For consumer level stuff I think Avast is one of the better options.  It is highly configurable and since it is provided by a firm other than the one supplying the operating system I believe it does a better job of providing protection, especially if specialty or vertical market applications are utilized.  For business all my clients use Symantec Endpoint Protection.  I have found most full time IT people have preferences in regards to security software and those preferences will vary based on perspective (techs like what they know and sales like what has more margin).  That said, I am generally familiar with Avast, AVG, Symantec ESET, Panda, McAfee, and Norton products.  I choose Symantec, ESET, and Avast (in that order), however on any given day a bad update may occur or something may slip through regardless of the provider.

Oh yea, the best place for a firewall is between your PC and the internet, not on your PC...  If the firewall on your PC needs to actually do its job you have a major problem.

We support 1000's of users across our customer base and I agree that for home users Microsoft essentials is all you need.  It stays silent and out of your way with no annoying sales and upgrade popups.

As Ned said common sense is your best protection.  None of the antivirus programs catch everything.

And use good passwords and document them somewhere.  I helped an executive this week unravel that someone logged into her email account and was emailing her bank contacts.  She had used the same password on too many other websites.

I have used the free version for years now and loveit.  It has prevented lots of problems.  I also love Malwarebytes and spybot.  When I used Norton it was making my computer go nuts.

Not familiar with Avast but the reviews I have read say it is pretty good! I am an ESET User and very happy with it! It works perfectly is lightweight and uses very little resources which is why I chose it and it is well rated.

I use windows firewall and the Eset basic which also supports my email, which I like...

Good Luck

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom