1 st rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thymetraveler

Looking for my 1st rv, it will also be my home.

Question, I initially thought toyhaulers were meant to be driven, with your car inside.  I have a subcompact car.
No way could it pull a lot of weight.

Budget is also an issue, any suggestions would be profoundly appreciated.

Wow, you have a learning curve, if I read your thread correctly. Toyhaulers are 5th wheels pulled by at least a 1 ton truck. Figure out first if you want to drive the RV or pull it. If you want to drive it and pull the compact, look at least at a C Class.  If you want to pull it then you have to look at a MUCH bigger car/truck.
Don't be insulted, this is a great forum with a lot of people wanting to help you.

Toyhaulers come in every configuration.
Hitch-mount trailers, 5th wheels, https://www.google.com/search?q=toy+haulers&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=1dT&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tlpnUeDiFsPiiwL5qYDQCg&ved=0CI8BELAE&biw=1600&bih=707
Class-A Moho ...........http://outlawrv.com/
Class-C Mohos......https://www.google.com/search?q=class+c+toyhauler&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8Ho&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bFpnUeTNCeK0iwLT7oHYAg&ved=0CHAQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=707

Most trailer versions, (either hitch-mount or 5th wheel) can be towed with a 3/4T truck if a very small car is used. The larger trailers would require a 1-ton truck.

However, I get the feeling that you are thinking more along the line of a Class-C or Class-A Moho so that you won't need a truck at all.

All sorts of options you just need to do your homework.

For a touch of class........ check this one out:
http://www.examiner.com/article/the-world-s-ten-best-car-carrying-motorhomes

Start with your budget... what is it?

Then think of uses... what are your plans?  Full-time living obviously.  Do you plan to be on the move a lot, or parked in one place for most of the year?  Motorhomes are meant to be driven, trailers are meant to be towed and are often parked for long periods of time (not always the case, just a trend with full-timers).

Those conditions will rule a LOT of RV's in or out of your realm of possibilities (think "lake" versus "ocean").  ;)

Thank you, yep, got a lot of homework to do.

My goal is summer in nj winter in ala.  Will the class c contain the car during travel?

thymetraveler said:
Thank you, yep, got a lot of homework to do.

My goal is summer in nj winter in ala.  Will the class c contain the car during travel?
It would have to be a very small car. Like a Mini-Cooper or Smart Car.... possibly a VW bug

I might suggest that you find a RV Show to attend, which will give you a firsthand look at a variety of motor homes.

The "toys" that most toyhaulers are designed for are things like ATVs and motorcycles. Only a few have the size and weight capacity for small cars. For most purposes, if you want a car to drive at your destination, plan on towing it behind the motorhome rather than carrying it in the motorhome. Why waste 15-20 feet of the interior on a garage that you use a coupe times a year?

Gary RV Roamer said:
The "toys" that most toyhaulers are designed for are things like ATVs and motorcycles. Only a few have the size and weight capacity for small cars. For most purposes, if you want a car to drive at your destination, plan on towing it behind the motorhome rather than carrying it in the motorhome. Why waste 15-20 feet of the interior on a garage that you use a coupe times a year?
What Gary says is right....... However, I have friends that carry an street legal golf cart type electric car in their toyho. It only has a range of 150 miles though. Sorta depends on what your intentions are and how muck $ you have. I'm with Gary though....... why wast the space, even if it's just 9' that's a lot of living space.

However, I have friends that carry an street legal golf cart type electric car in their toyho.

Hmmm... Interesting idea -- is it street legal anywhere or just in Arizona (for example)? I'm not sure that all states have such.

Larry N. said:
Hmmm... Interesting idea -- is it street legal anywhere or just in Arizona (for example)? I'm not sure that all states have such.

Golf carts on the roadway are more often covered under local ordinances, and not necessarily state law.  Many cities that cater to golfers, campers, and/or retirees will have certain areas/roads/paths where golf carts can be driven.  Certain other rules apply as well (registration, lighting, other visibility markings) depending on where you are.  You'd want to inquire in the areas where you plan to travel.

I guess I should have been more specific..... it was like one of these:

Attachments

• ElectricCar2.jpg
    ElectricCar2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 33
That looks more like an electric car with no doors.  Looks like it is prefixed with registration mounting, lighting, seatbelts, and probably everything else that defines a "motor vehicle" in any given place.  It would need a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) as well, to qualify in most (all?) states.

Back
Top Bottom