anza borrego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bingberg

Could anyone tell me how to find out which areas of this park allow for boondocking, and is there a time limit for how long you are allowed to boondock there?

Thanks for the links Margi and Sloop.  I should be able to find what I need in one of them.

Beth

Anza Borrego Desert State Park is one of our favorite places. I know that ABFSP allows boondocking but can't find anything about time limits. I do know people who have spent a month boondocking east of Peg Leg Smith. You might want to check the park's website http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638 for info. Please let us know what you find out about time limits for boondocking.

Wendy

OK, I called the park directly and was told the limit for boondocking was 30 days.  By mid-May my husband and I will be fulltimers and anza Borrego is so high up on my priority list, I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait all summer till it gets chilly enough to camp there. Thanks to all of you who responded to my request.

Beth Ingberg

Thanks for sharing that info. Just think how hot it is in Anza Borrego in the summer and how delightful it is in the fall and spring, and not bad in the winter, too.

Wendy

bingberg said:
OK, I called the park directly and was told the limit for boondocking was 30 days.  By mid-May my husband and I will be fulltimers and anza Borrego is so high up on my priority list, I don't know how I'm going to be able to wait all summer till it gets chilly enough to camp there. Thanks to all of you who responded to my request.

Beth Ingberg
Just be aware..... there are horrible sand storms in the Anza Berrego. When they hit, you can't see your hand in front of your face (literally). They are unpredictable and can be so severe as to sand through every coat of paint on a vehicle..... ask me how I know...  :-\

Hi Beth,

We have boondocked in Anza many times. Love the place!!! Never had a problem with weather but we usually did it in the fall or spring. I have some fabulous photos of the desert in bloom in the spring.

The State Park Campground will allow you to dump and take on water for a small fee. Be advised that, on weekends, there will be a lot of ATV type activity in the area. Weekdays are the best for boondocking.

We visit Anza Borrego every year, usually in the fall/winter. We have had 90% great weather. But that 10% with winds can be nasty. One Christmas Eve, the wind got so bad that my parents 5th wheel blew off the stabilizing scissor jacks. Mom said it was just God scrubbing the sky clean. We always looked at those bad windy days as payment for the glorious beautiful days. BTW, the Anza Borrego area just recently suffered the worst winds in its history of weather recording. Glad we weren't there !

Wendy

My ex-wife and I used to attend the Terra-del-sol desert safari, an off-road 4wd event.  We tented back then.  I don't know if that event is still being held but if it is it would be well worth at least seeing the beginning if you are not participating.

When does this off-road event take place?  I figured our first time to visit would probably be sometime this winter, as we'd like to see death valley and Mojave desert, and Joshua tree all during the same visit.  I would also like to experience Quartszite as well.  My husband and I are both friendly outgoing people, but we are a little shy to join in the Quartszite gathering because we don't want to make any one feel like they are put out.  Any way thanks to all the feedback about Anza Borrego, look forward to getting started.

Beth

Beth,

I don't know about the off road gathering but everyone is welcome at QZ. All you have to do is show up. Watch for Bob Buchanan's thread on the rally. He tries to keep a list of who will be attending but , if for some reason you can't make it, it's no big deal.

Beth, please do join us at Quartzsite. We are a friendly group and love having new folks join in. Every year we have a blend of old and new gather and by the time the rally is over, there are no 'new' attendees, we're all old friends.

Wendy

What Wendy said is absolutely true.  There are never any strangers at the RV Forum rally at Quartzsite. 

Margi

Boy,  I'm just itching to get to know some of you.  I just thought it seemed like you are kind of already "hooked up" with the ones you like to do stuff with I wouldn't want to be the awkward 5th wheel, but if you're sure that's not the case then we would love to meet you there.  We are kind of thinking of staying there beyond the big shows to try to save some money.  This will be our first year full time and we are a bit unsure of what the total cost we are looking at with this new life style. And we have to look it as a new lifestyle NOT a permanent vacation. We are jumping in with both feet, yet hopefully with have our mindset right.

bingberg said:
This will be our first year full time and we are a bit unsure of what the total cost we are looking at with this new life style. And we have to look it as a new lifestyle NOT a permanent vacation. We are jumping in with both feet, yet hopefully with have our mindset right.

The RV Forum Quartzsite Rally is definitely the place for you!  You'll be smack dab in the middle of some expert boondockers and other well traveled members who just love to share their knowledge.  My husband and I have hung up our keys, but we have wonderful memories of the yearly QZ rally.  I know you will enjoy the group and I'm more than certain that they will make you feel comfortable from the very first minute after you arrive.

Margi

from reading other entries made during other Q events:  Wendy  I will promise to wear my name at all times.  Cross my Heart ;D

Beth Ingberg

I just thought it seemed like you are kind of already "hooked up" with the ones you like to do stuff with I wouldn't want to be the awkward 5th wheel, but if you're sure that's not the case then we would love to meet you there.  We are kind of thinking of staying there beyond the big shows to try to save some money.

There are no fifth wheels (except for the type with axles) at the Quartzsite rally.  Speaking as one who attended Quartzsite before joining the RV Forum, I can tell you it's much more fun in Quartzsite when you're with a group.  We're only "hooked up" in the sense that we have things in common (computers, traveling and RVs for starters) and enjoy being together so we tend to have rallies in places we like to go, such as Quartzsite and Moab.  Once you get to know us you're bound to find someone who also does something else you like to do, such as photography, quilting, hiking, four-wheeling.  So do be sure to join our RV Forum rally in Quartzsite.

As to staying longer than our rally, you can get various BLM passes for the La Posa Long Term Visitors Area where we camp.  See the following website for rates.  http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/camping/LTVA/laposa.html

See you in Quartzsite!
ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom