Too short?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ynot

New to RV'ing but family (w 2 kids) has always wanted to give it a try.  We've done hundreds of roadtrips in our van (including a 24 hour drive with 2 drivers switching, with just gas/food/bathroom breaks).

So, is it too much of a challenge to do 50 hours spread across 7 days? That's how long it approx takes to go from one side of the country to the other, with a One-Way rental. 

We have a one-way filght to the Seattle area, and had planned to take a one-way flight back home to the East Coast (North Carolina) at the end of the week, but thought it would be a good opportunity to do a 1-week RV trip.  We don't have any set-in-stone places we "must" visit either, so far (maybe Kentucky in the middle, else Minnesota in the middle, depending on which route we take).

The CruiseAmerica rep(s) is not keen on giving one-way rentals (much less cross-country rentals), so making comments about "why don't you do a roundtrip on just the West Coast" and fly back from your original destination. (sure.... that was the original plan).  We know there is an upcharge for cross-country and one-way (but the cost of gas to do roundtrip AND the extra time also needs to be considered.)

Anyway, is "cross-country in 7 days" too much for a new RV'er (or experienced one)?  The goal being "Try RV'ing and get from WA to NC by the end of the week".

That's over 7 hours of driving per day. It doesn't leave much for sightseeing - and that's a lot of time in the saddle. I think it might end up to be a grind.

Mylo

You WON'T like being in the seat that long ::) It will become more of a JOB that relaxing. I did some hard driving going to TX to get our rig and thought it was going to break my spine when I would stop and try to move.  :(

That is a 3000 mile journey and a lot of it is not on Interstates. That is 440 miles a day. I would think it would take at least 10 hours of driving per day to cover that distance, including pit stops. That leaves you virtually no time to do any sightseeing. And once you get out of Montana there is not much to see along side the roads anyhow. Yes you could do it if that sounds like your idea of fun.

I, too, have done fast, long trips (1,000 miles plus in 16 hours or less), even crossing the country in a less than three days, in my pre-RV (and much younger) days. But in an RV you'll need more concentration while driving, and more thinking about various vehicle-related factors,  than in smaller, more conventional vehicles, so you'll tire more quickly and be more subject to fatigue problems (among other things). In addition, as the others have mentioned above, you won't have a lot of time for enjoying yourselves along the way, and you'll really be generating problems with two kids cooped up all day, every day for a week.

My suggestion is, if you want to RV for a few days, to do as you indicate was your original plan, that is, RV around the west for a few days, keeping driving time to no more than four to five hours a day average, preferably less, and have some time to see the sights in the areas you do cover, then fly back east when you're done sightseeing.

Another option to check into would be taking the train (especially if you can get sleeper berths), where you can see a LOT out the windows and the kids can walk the aisles (you too, for that matter) to quell some of the restlessness, and you won't get nearly as tired. I've also found that you can often meet some rather nice folks on the train

If you do a coast to coast RV trip in seven days to see if you like RVing, let me save you some trouble, you are not going to like it and will probably spoil any future attempt.
That is a little over 7 hours of driving aday. So your entire RV experience is going to consist of; driving, finding a place to spend the night, hooking up, eating diner, going to bed, and doing the exact same thing for the next 6 days. The idea of RVing is just the opposite, traveling to a place to see the sites, relax, meet people, and make new friends.

That is going to be a challenge, there will likely to be fratricide  in the back seat.  ;D I did many of those kamikaze runs but no more. On the road around nine, pee break for the mutts, a leisurely lunch, another pee break then looking for a cg around four. Can't miss happy hour ya know.
Reduce your expectations. Plan a shorter loop where you can stop for a longer stay if you find something that catches your attention.
I am slowly teaching my partner in crime that the journey is more important than the destination. She and her ex would do Vancouver to Reno in a day and a half. :eek: Drove her nuts when we took almost three days but she is getting used to it.

Back
Top Bottom