Looking for GPS recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carbuff34 said:
I sure wish I understood all this.lol  I am thinking of getting something that talks (?) and tells me when and where I should be turning.  I haven't the foggiest about what I am going to buy and I don't trust that the sales staff know anymore than I do.  I will be travelling alone, hence the reason for the talking system.
Any help is appreciated.
Leo ???

Leo:

I started with S&T on my laptop. I stilll use it because I am running VMSpc as well.

For a retirement gift I now have a Garmin as well. When I am driving I have three women telling me what to do.  ;D

I like the DeLorme TOPO because you also can get an idea of all the grades before you approach them.

I like it too, Chet.  Too bad it doesn't cover any part of Canada.

Ciao,

Doug

Check out the Garmin Nuvi 360.  I bought one this summer after using the GPS in my wife's new 2007 Tahoe.  The Nuvi receiver is sensitive enough to pick up the satellites while on the desk in my office and if you miss a turn or decide to deviate from its route it rapidly recalculates a new route instead of constantly prompting you to make a U-turn.  It is head of heels better than the the GPS in the Tahoe and unfortunately probably better than the one that is in our new Foretravel we are picking up this week.  I have a feeling my Nuvi will tag along with us.

The Tahoe map set is not as accurate as the Garmin but the most irritating thing is it refusal to quickly recalculate the route if you either miss a turn or decide to take an alternate route. It insists that you either make a u-turn or if you are on a parallel route it will want you to turn right or left at every chance to get back on ITS route.  It will eventually give up and recalculate the route but by then I've usually turned the sound off at the very least.  The Nuvi will recalculate almost immediately unless you are heading in an opposite direction from the destination.

Another big aggravation is the "safety factor".  You cannot enter new destinations while in motion.  This is great if you're by yourself but with the Tahoe neither can the co-pilot!  You must stop to enter waypoints or destinations.

jamesnaddie said:
Another big aggravation is the "safety factor".  You cannot enter new destinations while in motion.

Can the safety feature be disabled via a menu (usually done while stationary)?

Just asking a question. It's a menu option on other GPS units I've used. Is it a menu option on the Tahoe in-dash GPS?

I guess the refusal to quickly recalculate the route would be a real pain.  On the safety feature, the Garmin I have has a default setting that won't let you change settings while in motion.  But that setting can be changed on the menu. I agree that the driver playing with the unit while driving would be very dangerous.

No disagreement Robert, but he was complaining that the co-pilot couldn't do anything while in motion either ...

This is great if you're by yourself but with the Tahoe neither can the co-pilot!

Since Chris usually drives and I navigate, I'm used to having that feature turned off.

If there is a way to override the safety option on the Tahoe I haven't found it.  I think GM is probably more exposed than Garmin since the Garmin doesn't know if you are driving or not but the Tahoe does.

On the Tahoe you can while sitting still enter all of your expected way points into the adrees book and then those can be selected while driving.  Its easy enough to deal with that.  The refusal to re-calculate is the main beef.

FYI...

For those looking seriously at the iWay 500C, Lowrance is currently offering a $100 rebate on the unit when purchased between 6/1/06 and 9/30/06. I am considering getting one. In my car, I currently use iGuidance software on my Dell Axim PDA, with a Bluetooth GPS receiver.  Works great.

Frank

I just bought the Lowrance iWay 500C about 2 months ago and have used on 3 short trips so far.  I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles, but it seems to work well and I love the larger screen.  Some GPS units have such a small screen they are hard to see everything you need to see.  Over the Labor Day weekend, we were on the road and decided to stop at an RV park South of Fort Worth, Texas and it located the parks nearby and listed the phone number so we could call to see if there was space available.  Once we found the park we wanted, I just pushed the "Go To" button and it plotted a route right to the park.  It was great.  We also located a Wal Mart one day and found it easily.  I ended up ordering my unit from Abes of Maine.  They had the best price at the time and shipped it promptly.  I sent off for the $100 rebate from Lowrance and it came quicker than I expected also.  I know it will be even more usefull when I learn how to use all of the features.

Dan

The Microsoft S&T just tells you you're OFF ROUTE.  Then you hit Ctl (I think, it may be another key) and it recalculates from your current position.  I got lost in Toronto after dark ( I believe the highway exits were not adequately marked, at least not for me) and it got me back on route with 4 or 5 turns in 15 minutes.  Great!
Art

A friend recently gave me a Garmin c330 Street Pilot. It works in our class C with overhang. I guess the overhang must not have much metal. However it seems to have error and no matter if in shortest distance, of fastest time mode it will not always give the logical route. All well and good when we are in familiar areas, but the reason to have one is for the unfamiliar.
Anyone else having an issue with a Garmin unit ?

Thanks,

Jack.

smokeater1 said:
A friend recently gave me a Garmin c330 Street Pilot. It works in our class C with overhang. I guess the overhang must not have much metal. However it seems to have error and no matter if in shortest distance, of fastest time mode it will not always give the logical route. All well and good when we are in familiar areas, but the reason to have one is for the unfamiliar.
Anyone else having an issue with a Garmin unit ?

Thanks,

Jack.

Jack:

If you haven't done it yet you might check in settings and see what type vehicle your Garmin is set up for. You will get different routings for different vehicle types. Also check preferences for what it is set to avoid (tollways, etc).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom