1991 bounder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warning1

hello I'm trying to help my aunt with her motor home 1991 fleetwood bounder (ford 460) after she was quoted 1000.00 to replace her starter. so today i replaced her starter (got it from o'reilly) as well as a new starter solenoid and 2 new house batteries and motor battery. after replacing all this and trying to start it, it still tries to start but wont. (basically it sounds like the batteries are dead  :mad: ). we tested the volts to the starter solenoid and it reads 12 volts and then we test the volts going to the starter wile trying to start it and it is only getting 3 volts  :eek: . we even tried to start it wile pressing the aux button with no luck. any help will do  :D . my aunt is about to push this off a cliff.  :'(

ps i had all batteries disconnected when i installed the starter and solenoid.  ;)

It sounds to me like your battery isn't fully charged. Try pressing the Aux start switch and holding it down for a minute or two and then attempt to start it.

Sounds to me more like a bad connection somewhere, possibly the battery ground connection to the frame. The voltage to the starter motor during cranking should stay at 6-7 volts. Before cranking it should be 12.6-13.3v. Remove and clean battery connections and starter cables. Consider replacing the cables - there may be internal corrosion where the wire joins the connectors at the end.

It also sounds like you didn't need the new starter. Did you have it tested before buying the new one? O'Reilly's does it for free.

I had a '91 Bounder with the 460 with similar problem.  Traced it to a bad connection on the braided ground wire where it attaches to the frame.

Similar to what others said, I can attest that almost all the starting (and other electrical) problems I ever had on my '94 Thor Residency were found to be due to bad connection points somewhere along the line.  Look for any exposed wire or metal-on-metal joints where some corrosion could have set in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom