Roof Coatings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willphoto

Almost done with the interior renovation of my 1966 Chariot vintage camper.  Now it's time to get the roof water proofed and with so many products on the market, I need a little help.

I am not sure what type of metal the roof has, so I am not sure what type of roof coating to apply.  I am thinking EPDM coating with use of the seam tape as well.

Can anyone help me out with this?  I have attached some photographs.

Will I have to wire brush the old off before applying the new roof coating?

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 40
Hard to tell in those photos, but those crosswise seams make me think the roof is metal.  If so, you can use Dicor's metal roof coat or one of the several good mobile home roof coat products available in local stores, e.g. Kool Seal or Henry's.  If it is EPDM, you must use an EPDM-compatible roof coat (e.g.  Dicor EPDM or Koolseal RV) or a EPDM primer before one of the other products.

Remove as much loose or peeling covering as possible, then clean well. Remove any existing caulk as well, or at least smooth it down.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Hard to tell in those photos, but those crosswise seams make me think the roof is metal.  If so, you can use Dicor's metal roof coat or one of the several good mobile home roof coat products available in local stores, e.g. Kool Seal or Henry's.  If it is EPDM, you must use an EPDM-compatible roof coat (e.g.  Dicor EPDM or Koolseal RV) or a EPDM primer before one of the other products.

Remove as much loose or peeling covering as possible, then clean well. Remove any existing caulk as well, or at least smooth it down.

Thanks Gary,

I do believe it is a metal roof, or galvanized.  Should I use a tape to seal the seams and along the roof edge where they have use self sealing screws? 

I did notice the type of coating was available at my local hardware store, but was not really sure if it was the right product for my type of roof.  I will use the primer too as I have read it is highly needed for a successful application of the product.

Again Thank you for your reply,

Mark

Just read the instruction on the coating to be sure it is ok for metal roofing. And follow the application instructions.

If the seams are mechanically ok, the coating should be all that is needed to seal any potential leaks there. You can always put the tape over them later if you see the need. But if the seams are disintegrating or torn, I would probably caulk or use Eternabond tape to close them up before applying the coating.

Back
Top Bottom