Vinyl flooring question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA Zebra

Is there any reason the vinyl flooring in our Alfa 5th wheel is not glued down? The flooring has been moving when the slide is moved in or out so I pulled off the base shoe molding to peel back the floor and glue down the area that was loose. When I did this, I noticed there was never any glue on the floor. I don't see a reason to have a floating floor.

On another note, I may just replace the sheet vinyl with vinyl tiles. Has anyone that's done this have any suggestions or comments on it? Thanks!

I don't really see a reason to have the vinyl floor glued down. RVs twist and turn a lot during transit and that would give the flooring a tendency to rip. I see no reason why you could not use the peel and stick vinyl tiles. Ernie should be along soon and he knows a lot more about it than I do.

I did sheet vinyl in our MH and the flooring guy I purchased it from had me glue the edges only.  I've had no problems in the past year in temps ranging from -20? to 90?.

common practice for manufacturers. first, it does not allow the floor imperfections to telegraph thru. second- its' a faster and cheaper installation. third- the new pvc backed vinyl allows for this floating type installation. I'm old school: I glue everything

Thanks for the replies.
Ernie, since you seem to be the flooring guru, what are the challenges of replacing the floor under the slide-overhang? I'm leaning toward putting in new vinyl tiles but I'm a little concerned about removing the old floor and installing the new under the "roller" for the slide. Any suggestions?

Gary, I have glued carpet in schools, churches, hospitals, etc. I even had a client that wanted commercial carpet glued in his coach.
Do your slides have rollers on them or in the floor? Whenever I install new material I make sure that I do not install anything with an abrupt edge- so the rollers that are embedded in the slide have a slope to go over. Since it sounds like you have carpet to remove, and go back with vinyl tile, I see no issue with the rollers. Make sure your floor is good and clean, as any adhesive you use will not stick to dust/dirt. And after you install the tile, make sure the temps are warm so the new material will lay flat. Any curled edges will entice dust to get under that and neutralize the adhesive. Hope this helps, Ernie

Ernie, how do you deal with the issue of the metal floor in the front cab area that transitions to a plywood sub floor?  I know that you have to do something where the "crack" is between the two subfloors, otherwise the vinyl flooring will crack.

We had planned on having the vinyl flooring from the front (cockpit area) through the living area and leaving the ceramic tile from the kitchen to bedroom.  Now I've heard that you can't put the vinyl flooring in our coach because of the metal floor since the metal is "wavy".  So we really won't be any better off since we're still going to have to walk in and out of the coach on carpet.  Have you had the opportunity to install the luxury vinyl flooring over the metal in the cockpit in a Winnebago?

Linda, can you post a couple of this wavy metal? I have done lots of Winnies without any issues.

Gary, in Lindas' Winnebago, the front part of where the captains chairs and the entry landing is steel. Sometimes the plywood is lower then the steel.

Thanks for the input, Ernie. My entry way and front seat area is tile, so I don't know what's underneath it (yet). My previous coaches have had plywood over a foam or urethane insulation panel. Hope I don't have to learn more about this one!

I would think a plain metal floor would be decent quality construction but cold/hot underfoot.

in the winter, I was working up front on that metal floor- man was it cold there.

We recently laid vinyl peel and stick planks in our Motorhome.  Liked it so much we did our friends floor last night, class c no slide took 4 hours.  The vinyl cuts easily with good quality shears.  Easy to install and looks beautiful! 

I am thinking the same thing here on my 87 Chieftain.  Is it colder or hotter without the carpet and pad?  Any pics? :)

I will attach a link to my blog, not sure if this will work though.  Lots of pics of our floor.
Edit: Link in sig line.

Not sure I am right here, but there must have been an error in any link you had published. Tom simply edited it, perhaps to correct it,  but I see there is no longer any link shown, but I don't know why it disappeared.

Sig line: Many people put their blog/photo links, coach details and signature into their signature line (found under the Profile menu item above and under the  Forum Profile selection) to insure the information is always there on each note. It saves a lot of questions and typing and is a VERY good idea!!! (See my 'sig' lines below for an example)

Tom may have simply used that phrase in error without realizing your link was not really in your signature but in the body of your note.

Back
Top Bottom