rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 30 feet or under RV's WITH washer/dryer?  (Read 38692 times)

Livinbaystyle

30 feet or under RV's WITH washer/dryer?
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
I'm a full timer living in a travel trailer wanting to upgrade to a Class A for mobility, but I can't find models 30 feet or under with a washer/dryer? I like the luxury models like Monaco and Tiffin, but can't believe these types of RV's don't have the option? My research online has not produced one single 30ft or under with the option.  Its just me (female) and my pup so 30 feet is all I want to have to handle on the road.  Any insight would be most appreciated! Thank you!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
Re: 30 feet or under RV's WITH washer/dryer?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
Its just me (female) and my pup so 30 feet is all I want to have to handle on the road. 
There is virtually no difference between driving a 30 footer and 40 footer except in your mind. If you can drive a 30 foot you could very easily drive a 34 or a 36 foot and plenty of them have a washer dryer. Find a dealership and take a few for a test drive and see for yourself.
n
Remember, most RVers spend about 90% of their time living in their RV and only about 10% of their time driving it, so it makes sense to me to maximize your RV for living, not driving.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:25:32 PM by SeilerBird »
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Livinbaystyle

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »
Thank you for the insight! I'll try the difference as you suggested  :). I still want to stay smaller if possible as I believe there are parks that only take 30 feet or under and I also enjoy smaller RV's. Many thanks again for your comment, insight.  It did help  :D

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
There are virtually no RV parks that have a 30 foot limit. There are state and national park campgrounds with that limit but in almost every case there is a commercial campground nearby that will take larger units. This country has about a zillion campgrounds. Have you discovered  RV Park Reviews yet?

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

It lists campgrounds all over the country and if there is a length limit it is noted. I am a single full timer with three cats in a 32 foot class A and I am wishing mine was about 3 feet longer in the kitchen. I never have had problems finding a place to park.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Wyotraveler

• ---
  • NW Wyoming
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:34:11 PM »
Bounder, Coachmen, Monaco, & Holiday Rambler 33 ft have W/D. Smallest A I haae seen with W/D
2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
AC6CV ex-W8RUR since 1954
ARRL 35 WPM certificate 1st Radio tel/telegraph cert.

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »
I have a 30 fter. I sure don't have room for one. I suppose you could remodel one to include a washer combo, but you'd have to give up the sofa or lounge, to do so.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

Selah

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
 Have to agree with SeilerBird with the addition that some 35-36 foot MH actually handel better than the shorter ones. Don't limit your self by size. Look at lay out, emeneties, price, and the over all feel of the place.
Paul & Kathy
2014 Phaeton 42 LH
2013 Honda CR-V
SMI DUO braking system

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
As others have said, there is only so much space in an RV and a washer/dryer takes up a big chunk, somewhere around 8 sq ft of floor space and over 3 ft tall as well. That's a huge chunk out of a 30 footer, so it just isn't practical for most buyers. Even a 33 footer requires some serious tradeoffs to make room.

Remember, you will want a sewer hook-up and 50A power for most uses of the washer as well. You can make do with less for a load now and then, but the emphasis is on "make do".
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

bertnspike

• ---
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »
When I started looking for my RV I was sure I wanted 33' or less.  It's just me (female) and my 2 dogs.  I ended up with a 36' motor home which I love driving.  I've been in it since December of 2011 and have not found a site yet in a commercial campground that I could not get into.  I'm a very conservative driver also, so I seldom get into frightening situations on the road.  Size is not the key, PRACTICE is.  Find one you like and find an empty parking lot and use it many times.  That's all it will take.

Susan
Susan in Music with Mizz Bizzy

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
And, whatever you do don't let the W/D prevent you from the all important FLOOR PLAN considerations. We have Splendide, but it wasn't even a requirement for our purchase. Things like a large shower, king bed, adequate hanging space, and counter space were the determining factors. That said you'd have to tear the W/D out of Tara's cold dead hands!  ;D

As others have noted, length is not that significant a factor either in driving or finding a space for a motorhome. I do think the length of overhang behind the rear wheels (less is better - as a percentageof overall length) has a significant impact on ease of highway driving; a factor where the longer M/H may actually be better.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

thomasamski

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
Many people say RV washer/dryers are substandard. We bought a 33-foot Southwind and filled the space with shelves and a hamper. Wifie would rather use washing machines at RV parks.
2011 Fleetwood Southwind pulling a 2010 Chevrolet HHR

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
     Agree with Seilerbird about parks that limit to 30 feet or less. I've been a solo full timer for over 15 years now and have never been to a park with that limit. I am also a SW vendor for RV parks and have never had a client or potential client with that limitation. Actually, it makes no sense for an owner to have such a limit that would exclude such potential income. When a person or group buys a park I can guarantee they would exclude any with only 30' sites or less.

I believe I am correct here in that if 30' or less a rig will have only 30amp service. Not sure if they make RV W/D that need less than 50amp. If it has two A/C, only one can run at a time unless an on board genset is large enough to run both.

And as other have mentioned, a W/D takes up precious room. Of course, I am solo RVer and am always down to my last sock before I will do that laundry chore.  :)
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

captsteve

• ---
  • measure with a micrometer, cut with a chainsaw!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 02:58:32 AM »
Size is a limitation, Fleetwood 33a has a stackable option.

50 amp service, not so much. My old coach was 36' with 30 amp service. It had 2 roof airs that I could run at the same time, never tripped a pedestal. However, I had to shut one down to run the washer/dryer or Microwave.

I will say that it was a 1998 coach and the newer ones will likely be 50 amp.
Capt Steve has the Conn, Trina navigator ( Admiral )
2004 American Revolution 40c (aka Fat Girl) **Sold**
2017 Ram 1500 (Future Toad)
Piper Archer II  (Where the RV money goes)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »
I've seen US Forest Service campgrounds with limits of 30 feet or even less, but those are basically wilderness areas rather than "improved" campgrounds. I also know of a few old state parks in NY and New England that are designed for tents and pop-up style campers and the access roads limit the size rather severely. However, overall a limit of 30 ft is pretty rare in state and national park campgrounds and all but unheard of in private parks.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

1275gtsport

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Point Wolfe campground in Fundy National Park New Brunswick- is an amazing place. It has a 24 foot limit due to the covered bridge at the entrance. we were there a few years ago when we had the 22 foot motorhome. the space we were in was for tent camping so no services. we dumped on the way out of the park at the main campground. Our new 26 foot will not be allowed just can not swing past the bridge.

1977 GMC 26 foot Palm Beach
1976 Austin Mini

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
I can confirm first hand what others have said here.  Like you, we were upgrading from our short class c.  We had the "requirement" you had of wanting 30ft or less for exactly the same reasons.  Then we saw and drove our Winnebago Journey 34ft.  The floorplan was exactly what we wanted, just longer (and yes it has a W/D).  We drove it and fell in love with it.  It is significantly easier to drive than the 26ft Minnie Winnie class C we had before.  We have also never found a park yet, although only 2 years, that we haven't been able to fit in.  What can happen is that some state and national parks have a limited number of longer sites that can accommodate the longer rigs.  It just means when you go to places like that, you have to plan ahead and make a reservation.  Not a big deal.  Go with the features and floorplan you want and let the length be what it is.  JM2C

Steve
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
I stay almost entirely in state and national parks and have a 32 foot class C. I cannot remember any with a limit although some older parks will not have very many longer spots.  I am in Outer Banks right now and all national park campgrounds here accept big rigs.  There is a 40 footer next to me.

I do agree however that for me 32 feet is plenty and I have more storage room than I need.
Full-timing for over six years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

dave61

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »
There is a 30 foot Holiday Rambler that shows a W/D hook-ups, here is a link; http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2004-Holiday-Rambler-Admiral-23820.htm

I am under the impression that this is a decent brand and the price seems reasonable enough.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:50:53 PM by dave61 »
2004 B Touring Cruiser 27
Ford E450 V-10
Tampa Bay FL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
There is a 30 foot Holiday Rambler that shows a W/D hook here is a link; http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2004-Holiday-Rambler-Admiral-23820.htm

I am under the impression that this is a decent brand and the price seems reasonable enough.

Heh heh, yes it has a place for a washer dryer with the connections but it is not equipped at the moment. Adding a new Splendide would cost about $1000 plus installation I think. I agree, nice unit, HR have a good reputation as do Splendide. Those who have Spendides either love 'em or hate 'em!!!
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Sam54

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
Thought I'd revitalize this topic. bought a 36ft Class A Thor Hurricane (35C), almost two years ago because I thought it was the smallest rig that had W/D connections in it. Seems that the Coachmen Laprechaun 311 also had room for a combo W/D (single unit) in it. Will try to trade down, though roomy the Thor is a bit unwieldy to move around, (and I feel like a bus or tractor trailer driver when I 'm behind the wheel, lol)

Sam54

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 11:58:47 AM »
If anyone knows of a shorter rig than the Leprechaun, please let me know, would love to go even smaller than 31'.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
A handful of 28 ft Safari Treks had washer dryer combos in place of either the bathroom closet -03 or liquor cabinet in the 04+ years.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 02:27:22 PM »
Washer/dryer units tend to be rare in smaller motorhomes where both space and weight are limited.  The combo units weigh several hundred pounds.  If you have 1,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity, there goes a good portion of it, so you have less weight for passengers, water, and all the "stuff" you carry on a trip.  The Safari was an exception because it had a drop-down bed over the driver compartment with no dedicated bedroom.  I think it also was built on a heavier chassis than what you typically find in a smaller gas-powered motorhome.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 02:45:27 PM »
My 02 28 ft Safari Trek was built on the 17,000 GVWR P32 chassis, 02-05 had an 18,000 pound chassis as an option, though few were built (the difference was a 12,000 pound rear axle vs the 11,000 pound rear axle in mine, 6,000 pound front axle remained the same, and is generally my weight limiting item, water tanks are aft of the rear axle, so traveling with full water tanks actually lowers weight on the front axle on mine),  up till mid 01 the 28 ft Trek's were built on the 16,500 P32 chassis, after 05 (production ended in 08), they were of either the 18,000 GVWR W18, or optionally a handful were built on the 20,000 GVWR W-20 chassis.  My cargo carrying capacity with empty water tanks is right at 3,000 pounds.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:48:49 PM by Isaac-1 »
2002 Safari Trek 2830