First trip in our new (to us) Motorcoach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtree2002

Picked up the Beaver last Tuesday (4/9) from the dealer in Florida  and headed out for the trip back to Ohio. Stopped for a couple of days in Melbourne Beach to visit friends and get a feel for the new unit -- parked at a campground on the beach side of A1A and pointed at the sunrise. Good start! Drove up to Johnston, SC to camp at a friend's 75 acre woods and managed to get the first boo-boo winding through the tree lined lane (path?). He'd told me he drove a semi back there, so I figured a 37 ft coach would fit, no problem. There I go thinking again; more damage to the ego than the coach, but the first ding always hurts the worst  :-\ Off up I-77 and a night at a really nice place in Union Grove, NC, then today through the Virginia/West Virginia mountains on 77 to Athens, OH for the night. Handled pretty well through the twisties and up and down the hills.  The coach is quite a handful on the straight roads, especially in the wind; I plan on having the suspension checked over when we get home. All in all it's been a real good trip -- a big change from camping in the Egg, but that little fellow really put the bug in!

Thats Great,
I make my first trip in the next day or two, Can't wait !!!! Glad to hear it was just a damaged ego and not a damaged camper.

Your first trip through the mountains is always memorable. I pay more attention to wind and storm advisories when I am ready to travel. Yes, they ALL are a handful in the wind. Have fun!

Before spending any money on handling I would recommend weighing the coach and making sure the tire pressures are set according to the tire manufacture's inflation tables.

It is amazing how the fix to many handling problems are that simple.

I have to echo Jeff's advice from personal experience with a both 38' and 42' coach.

Some coaches by design are a little more forgiving, but at 37' or more, you are a huge airfoil, albeit ugly, and the wind will move you. A heavy to one side coach with improperly inflated tires just exacerbate the issue.

Speed is another determinant. Dropping your speed by 5mph in higher winds makes a huge difference.

When you were wiggling in the wind, how fast were you going?

Back
Top Bottom