Any RVing families here who travel with kids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleochatra

I'm a little surprised to see not so many folks seem to RV with their kids at camps and whatnot. I have four kids, aged 13 and under. Am I in an unusual demographic?

The wife and I always bring our 3 children ages 13, 9, and 7. The sole reason we purchased a TT was to spend time with our kids. I think younger people RV'ing is where the future is.

Was over in the Gatlinberg TN last month for a week. The RV park we stayed at had more kids that adults, and everyone was having a great time (even my kid - 3yr old Pug).

Larry

We'll be taking our first trip with our four boys (ages 6, 9, 9, and 12) in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know in about a month if we'll ever do it again. :)

cleochatra said:
I'm a little surprised to see not so many folks seem to RV with their kids at camps and whatnot. I have four kids, aged 13 and under. Am I in an unusual demographic?

Hi Cleochatra,
I see many families on the road in certain parks during summer months. It may depend on the area as to what draws more child  friendly activities.  We re traveling in Alaska and see lots of  retired age folks and several of them have their grandchildren along for the trip. We also noted that with these long hours of daylight many kids seem to be outside playing at 10:30 or even 11 p.m.!  I have also found that many families with children have so many activities (soccer, baseball, dance Karate) that someone is in a tournament and the family can't go anywhere until the "Playoffs" are over. I think camping is a wonderful activity for kids that will hopefully instill a lifelong love for adventure and travel, to say nothing of the education they receive from places visited and hopefully environmental awareness.
Betty

cleochatra said:

You want to see families with kids?  Go to KOAs.  You will see families with kids

I think there are quite a few folks who Rv with kids. We take our Grandkids along when we can and they are the reason we bought a bunkhouse TT.  I suspect the reason you don't see more parents comments on this RV forum is that the kids keep they too busy running around to spend much personal time on the Web. ;)  ;)
Jake

Thanks for the replies, everyone!You've made some awesome points! I'm horoscopically blonde, too, so sometimes the obvious doesn't smack me between the eyes.

I'm glad to see so many people taking kids along!

Mine love to be in the RV, with freedom to spread out, color, play with their toys, or just stretch out and read a book. They love it so much, they're bugging us to go again on another adventure! To them, eating a peanut butter sammich in the RV is like going to the Taj Mahal. It's fancy stuff! We're all so close anyway, so being all together just feels so natural and fun! It really has been a great time!

I'm not a huge fan of KOAs (as an example), but because they tend to be uber-crowded, and we're half dry-campers and half-RV campers. Plus, when someone's peeing in the community pool, I want to know whose pee it is!

I know some of the places we've stayed, people are like "OMG You have kids!" and act like we're the doofus family with screaming, naughty children from The Omen. My kids are REALLY well-behaved (they fear being grounded too much to cross your campsite or be noisy and obnoxious), and I resent being judged sometimes by the actions of some of the kids they might have come across in the past.

I mean, we all have awesome kids! Right?!

Sure we do! Even when you catch them taking snapshots of themselves picking the nose of Lincoln at Mount Rushmore or modelling like they're pulling Crazyhorse's finger.

You guys have made my afternoon! Thank you, and it's great to meet you all.  :D

Cleochatra

Right after New Years we were camped across from two moms with 4 children apiece and when we parked there we thought this might be a mistake but were pleasantly surprised.  Those eight children were the most well behaved children and good playmates as well that we have ever seen.  We talked to the moms and said they could park next to us any time.  There was no yelling, screaming or fighting and they watched out for each other and played well together.  The moral of the story is never judge until proven otherwise.

We did almost all of our vacation travel with three kids in m/h's until they were out of HS. (As a matter of fact our 33 year old wants us to meet in Chicago and take them to Purdue tailgating in September). Our kids liked it enough that we introduced most of their friends to RVing. ;D

I think we have been in 90% of the Yogi Bears in existence back then! We'll probably be back in a few years with our Granddaughters.

Cleochatra,

We will be taking our first trip in our new to us TT tomorrow with
a 10, 8 and 3 year old and of course our Golden Retriever (4th child). I will let you know how it goes but the whole reason that we got interested in camping was spending time away from the things that distract us from enjoying the children. It is things like the camping trips and the quality time spent with my family that I remember from my own childhood.

Hi Cleo,

While we are retired now, our first trip with our daughter, now 33, was when she was three weeks old. Both of our kids spent their childhoods going camping. National Parks, KOAs, mountains, canyons, etc. It was a tremendous life for them. I encourage everyone I know with kids to try it.

Got a couple of funny kid stories for you.

Our son, now 27 and married got terribly upset when we traded in our old Coachman Class A for our new/used Class C a couple of years ago. He wanted to keep the passenger seat from the old rig, because that is where he learned to read maps. He used to circle all the major league baseball parks in the atlas.

Then this summer, he and his wife came to Silverton, CO to visit; we're spending the summer up here. He wanted to sleep in the MH so he could listen to the rain on the roof.

Good memories.

Keep up the traveling.

BernerGran

JGarrick said:
We'll be taking our first trip with our four boys (ages 6, 9, 9, and 12) in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know in about a month if we'll ever do it again. :)

We're back, and yes, we would do it again (if we can ever finish paying for this trip). As a means of hauling a pack of young boys around the country, I couldn't recommend a MH more highly.

Glad you had a memerable trip.  Bet you are already planning and looking forward to the next one.  If you aren't
Bet the kids are.

I watched RV last weekend and as much as it had humor it sure had some insights into a family traveling in a MH.  Being a therapist by trade I was very taken by the way the writers brought a relatively dysfunctional family into a cohesive group.  Small spaces certainly can make for some interesting behaviors.  I am surprised there is not more written about the RV Lifestyle and its effect on marriages and families.  That sure was a good question Cleo and I wonder how many fulltiming families are around and how they survive?

fastphil said:
I watched RV last weekend

I know the reviews weren't spectacular, but that movie was absolutely hilarious IMO.  Especially being a newbie myself, I really identified with the difficulties Robin Williams' character was experiencing.

My wife has a marriage & family therapy background as well.  I would think that the close quarters and limited "stuff" of the RV lifestyle would keep a family closer if it's a regular, enjoyed activity.  Problem with families and marriages today is that everyone is always doing their own thing and not spending any time together.  Then they wonder why they "grow apart" over time.  Not a total mystery.  ::)

I'll say it again,

The downslide of morals in this country began, when they took the front porches off of the houses ! When I was younger we sat on the front porch almost every evening and chatted with the neighbors as the walk by. Have you noticed ,how friendly , caring and helpful the majority of RV'ers are, guess what? there's a front porch on the RV's !!! With most everyone, sitting outside in the evening chatting with the neighbors as they walk by ? Crime was less because of it IMHO. Any suspicious activity was always seen by a multitude of the people sitting on their front porch !

IMHO if you would just back up the clock, rewrite the buildings codes ,making it mandatory for all home's to have a front porch and all neighborhoods to have sidewalks. This would solve a lot of the problems we have in this country ,and the kids would be spending more time out in the front yard playing while the parents and neighbors were watching, instead of finding some deadbeats house to hole up in.:mad:

Kenneth,
I agree that at campsites, it is a lot like sitting on the front porch.  Just don't make me sit out on a porch in 110 degree weather at my home!  :-*

Hi all,

Well, here I am on the front porch of my National Seabreeze in Silverton, CO. It seems that kids who are exposed to other places, people, and things have a better ability to cope, make appropriate decisions, and be more rounded as adults.

I was a girl  scout for about 10 years. I know that I came away with a respect for others, having learned so much. And yet, I cannot put my finger on any specifics.

I grew up in a small town in NJ. That experience was a huge part of my formation.

I think Rving is similar in that kids who are lucky enough to have traveled through their childhood have received an enormous amount of "something" which impacts their formation. Respect for others who are different, nature, choices, etc... Because of this terrific exposure to people, places, and things, their lives can be better and more full when they reach adulthood.

And, Jeff, I suspect we will be traveling with our grandchildren here in a few years. The trick will be getting them off to ourselves, because their parents will want to come, too.  :D

Areen't we all so lucky to have this lifestyle!

Best, BernerGran

Carol and I sit on the deck of our toyhauler and talk to people walking by.  The deck is a lot like a porch or sitting just outside the garage at home.  It is fun and we get a good pulse as to what is happening in the neighborhood.  Sometimes I just get out there and work on the bike and folks will walk by and talk.  Other times we have margaritas for those special people around us.  We even had a small palm tree on the deck.  It is a sense of community in a very transient lifestyle.  We are selling the toyhauler for either a bus or regular 5r and I will miss those evenings on the deck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom