Loads of questions for full-timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annasmom

My hubby retires from the Fire Department in May and we intend to pack up our five year old daughter and start full-timing it.  We have NEVER owned an RV.  Since my husband is still busy with work, it falls to me to do all the research in order to begin this new adventure and I feel overwhelmed!  This forum has been a great resource!

We intend to purchase a Class A Diesel somewhere in the states and tow something, but what? (we need a new car anyway) Where do I find information about what I can tow four wheels down?  Does it matter what MH I have?  Are there other considerations?

Cummins or CAT?

Any of you Canadians?  What do you do for Cell phone?  I find it's wicked expensive to use my cell phone in the states!  Also, if you're a Canuck, do you have any RV insurance recommendations?

What does everyone recommend for TV? Internet?

I have my eye on a couple of motorhomes on Ebay,  a 2008 Monaco Safari Simba, 2008 Fleetwood Expedition, and a 2002 Allegro Bus by Tiffin.  Any opinions, advice, experience with these?  The Fleetwood and Allegro are no reserve auctions.  Should I be concerned?  i've checked out the sellers, all sounds good, but a 2008 for $50,000 sounds almost too good to be true.  I've been browsing RV Trader as well, any other advice on where to buy?

Do you recommend membership in Family Motor Coach Association or similar organizations?  Which is best?

I do most of my cooking on a BBQ, year round, even when its -20C.  Do we bring a grill with us?

I'm sure I have many other questions.  Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!

Many of these subjects have ben addressed here numerous times, so try the SEARCH (on the menu bar) to locate previous discussions. And use the Forum Library (also a menu bar button) to find articles such as "Internet on the Road",  "TV on the Road" and many subjects of interest to newcmers to RVing. In fact, there is a whole Library section devoted to Newcomers.

Some brief answers to your other questions, though each probably deserves a separate discussion of its own:

A car to tow: See FMCA magazine and Motorhome Magazine online - both do an annual article of "dinghy towing", which is what they call towing a car (aka a "toad"). There are numerous models that can be towed as is, and more than can be modified to tow. Decide what size and body style of vehicle you want to tow and we can suggest models that will work.
http://www.fmca.com/motorhome/towing
http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/pdf/DinghyGuide2013.pdf

Cummins vs Cat: It's a toss up, so don't worry about it

US cell phone service for Canadians: I'll let a Canuck answer that one.

FMCA membership: Great magazine and a good club, but not a necessity. We are members and enjoy it, though.

Carry a BBQ: By all means!!

Annasmom said:
Where do I find information about what I can tow four wheels down?
Google or you can post a question here about any car in particular.
Does it matter what MH I have?
Yes, you need to make sure the MH has a hitch that is rated above the weight of the towed vehicle.
Are there other considerations?
Yes, if you are towing out west, in mountains then your best choice would be a diesel, otherwise a gasser works just fine.
Cummins or CAT?
No real difference.
Any of you Canadians?  What do you do for Cell phone?
You can buy a Tracfone to use while you are in this country. They are dirt cheap to buy and to use.
What does everyone recommend for TV?
I don't watch TV, I watch DVDs. The antenna on the roof will work great in most locations within 30 miles of a major city.
Internet?
A Verizon air card for $50 a month is a popular option.
I have my eye on a couple of motorhomes on Ebay,  a 2008 Monaco Safari Simba, 2008 Fleetwood Expedition, and a 2002 Allegro Bus by Tiffin.  Any opinions, advice, experience with these?
Make and model are nowhere near as important as price, condition and floor plan.
The Fleetwood and Allegro are no reserve auctions.  Should I be concerned?
Personally I would not participate in an auction with a reserve. They are generally a waste of time.
i've checked out the sellers, all sounds good, but a 2008 for $50,000 sounds almost too good to be true.
You can check out the blue book price at NADA. The general rule on the Internet is that if it sounds too good to be true then it is. You can also post a link to the ad here and we will offer our opinion.
I've been browsing RV Trader as well, any other advice on where to buy?
I have found Craigslist to be the best source for used RVs.
Do you recommend membership in Family Motor Coach Association or similar organizations?  Which is best?
I haven't heard of a great reason to join FMCA. However I consider CoachNet to be a requirement. I also love Passport America.
I do most of my cooking on a BBQ, year round, even when its -20C.  Do we bring a grill with us?
Absolutely. Many of us prefer to cook outside to keep from stinking up the inside of the motorhome.

Thanks for the information! We are in need of both a MH and toad and I wasn't sure which we should buy first.  I'm off to check out Craigslist and CoachNet!
Thanks!

Annasmom said:
Thanks for the information! We are in need of both a MH and toad and I wasn't sure which we should buy first.  I'm off to check out Craigslist and CoachNet!
Thanks!
Most people agree that the most important consideration when purchasing an RV is the floor plan. So I would pick out the RV first and then find a truck with enough of a tow rating to be able to pull it safely. Don't take a salesman's word about what truck can pull what RV. Post your RV and truck info here and make sure the combo will work before you buy the truck.

If the toad (car) you are interested in has a curb weight of 4000 lbs or less, you are probably safe to go ahead and buy it whenever you come across one you like. If greater than that, I would wait to be sure the motorhome I chose could handle the additional weight. Most diesel pusher type coaches can do at least 5000 and more likely 10,000 lbs, but it's not engraved in stone that they all can. Gas-powered motorhomes are typically restricted to 400-5000 lbs of tow capacity, but a few will be less.

So, the bottom line is best to wait and be sure.

Back
Top Bottom