Advice on buying motor scooter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudyJB

I am a short (5'1") lady in late 60s who full-times alone in 32 foot class c motorhome. I do not haul a toad or want to pull a vehicle. I have ridden a bike all my life, but it is getting hard on my knees.

I am seriously considering replacing my bike with a motor scooter--new but not too expensive.  I would buy a ramp carrier for my hitch.  I know absolutely nothing about motor scooters, but have wanted one since I was 18. Mainly I want something road worthy but do not plan on tackling freeways or extremely busy roads. Just want to be able to ride a few miles into town or explore without taking motorhome.  I know in Ohio which is my legal residence, I need to either take a class or pass a safety test 

Any advice on what to buy?  How big?  Handling it?  Carrier racks??  Or am I nuts??

No, you are not nuts, that is exactly what I do. I full time in a 32 foot class A and I have a carrier hitch on the back to haul my scooter.

You want a brand new 50 cc scooter. They can be found on Craigslist or through Google if you live in a fair sized town. 50cc doesn't require a licence, registration, insurance or a helmet anywhere in the country. Of course riding it without a helmet is pretty dumb. They run about $1000. Weigh about 200 pounds, go 30 miles per hour, and get 100 miles to a gallon. Here is the carrier hitch I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E2WQE4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I had to build a different ramp. The one that comes with it doesn't work. If you get one email me for instructions.

Can you drive it on public roads?  Or do you drive it on a bike path?  Someone told me to get one licensed.

How do you use your?  Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to figure out what I can a d can't do.  I can see where a smaller one would be easier.

Yes you can drive on public roads. State laws vary, but I stay away from bike lanes since it is rude to bike riders.
The best thing to do is to check the state laws in the state you are going to be living in. I don't know what your friend meant by "get one licensed". You don't license a bike, you register it and that is not necessary. Feel free to ask all the questions you wish.

At a 30 mph max (less up some hills), you need to be careful which roads you use it on, but Tom has all the details right. Were it me, I'd get one that'll do 45-50 (needs licensing for you and the scooter, most places), but I already have a motorcycle endorsment on my driver's license. Of course it'll be a bit heavier, too, so you'll need a carrying platform that's strong enough.

You just need to weigh your options and figure what kind of roads you will normally expect to encounter, since you won't be on sidewalks or bike paths with the scooter.

I agree with every thing Larry said. However, this is a small woman in her late 60s. Putting a 200 pound scooter on a carrier might be an issue. Putting a much heavier scooter on a carrier could end up being impossible. Of course at just about every RV park in the country she would have no problem finding some helpful person who could assist her.

I have been thinking along the same lines.  When my wife is at work, I am stuck.  We have a TT and a PU.  I can load a scooter in my truck box and have trans to run to the stor etc.  I recently found this source and am looking at this kind  A 3 wheel scooter with more CC than the typical scooter . 

Check out their pages.

http://www.scooterdepot.us/moped-scooters-p-1-c-31/trike-gas-motor-scooters-300cc-3-wheels-moped-d300tkb.html

Tom...

With a Class C coach, she will be have to be cautious about the weight of the scooter because the weight carrying capacity of the hitch - and the rear suspension - is limited. A 150 cc scooter will likely weigh 250-300 lbs.  That is probably ok for any Class III or IV hitch, but double-check the hitch rating to be sure. The number to be concerned about is the weight carrying capacity, not the weight distributing capacity or tow capacity.

Here is one scooter advertised for RVer use.
http://www.backyardbirdwatcher.com/product7155.html?gclid=CK-XhtHs27YCFUdU4Aod31QADA#7155

Not sure what class hitch is but sticker on vehicle says my max tongue weight is 350 pounds. Will dig stuff out and find hitch class. 

Whatever I do I will have to be able to do myself because I don't want to have to rely on help.

JudyJB said:
Not sure what class hitch is but sticker on vehicle says my max tongue weight is 350 pounds. Will dig stuff out and find hitch class. 

Whatever I do I will have to be able to do myself because I don't want to have to rely on help.
Remember to include the weight of the carrier as well as the bike.

Good point!!  Will check into those.  I need an easy ramp plus maybe one that is hydraulic.

I am going to be renting a car for a couple of days soon and then borrowing a car for a couple of weeks so time for shopping and research. 

http://powersports.honda.com/scooter.aspx

Here is the link to Honda Motor Sports.  Friend of mine on Hawaii had a "Ruckster".  I am 250# before
lunch and it pulled me around just fine.  No special license was required on Hawaii as it's considered
equal to a bicycle.  I was quite impressed with the little guy.  ( I ride a Harley Davidson ). 

This lists the many offerings from Honda.  Being a 'seasoned citizen' I agree and buy a new one or a
very good used one.  The last thing you want to do is to have it worked on.  Ruckster is very dependable
and there is a multitude of add on's for it.  My friend on Hawaii had a surfboard rack on his.

Ride safe. . . .

The correct name is a "Ruckus", we morphed the term to make fun of our friend and
called him a "Ruckster".  The name stuck with me.  Sorry... :eek:

SeilerBird said:
No, you are not nuts, that is exactly what I do. I full time in a 32 foot class A and I have a carrier hitch on the back to haul my scooter.

You want a brand new 50 cc scooter. They can be found on Craigslist or through Google if you live in a fair sized town. 50cc doesn't require a licence, registration, insurance or a helmet anywhere in the country. Of course riding it without a helmet is pretty dumb. They run about $1000. Weigh about 200 pounds, go 30 miles per hour, and get 100 miles to a gallon. Here is the carrier hitch I use:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E2WQE4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I had to build a different ramp. The one that comes with it doesn't work. If you get one email me for instructions.

You may want to rethink your statement about license, registration & insurance. California & Kansas does require one or more of the mentioned items.

Richard

Bummer I just sold a 50 for dirt cheap.  The scooter I had was tuned before I bought it.  It had a different exhaust and some carb work done and to my surprise would go 50 mph with my 200 lbs on top.  Still got over 90 miles per gallon.  I would have kept it but Im not sure my wife would like me sticking the kid in the basket to bring to daycare everyday.

Harbor freight has a hitch carrier for scooters. Electric bike ,like already said may be an option. Before buying find a way to test drive to see how you like scooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom