Best (I spell EASIEST) wax or protectant for Full Body Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captsteve

Post em up! I have been thinking about Turtle Wax Ice but have never tried it. Or maybe 303? Just want something easy to do (kinda an oxymoron on a 40 ft coach) and is worth the time to put on.

Unfortunately for now it will be stored outdoors and I want to keep it looking as nice as it does now. It's a 2004 that looks nearly brand new.

Any opinions welcome.

A liquid spray-on car polish works fine on full body paint. Turtle Wax is a favorite of mine.

I used the ice wax on my Jeep. I don't think it put much of a shine or that slippery feel on it.Lucas makes a spray on wax I think I will try on the Jeep first. The Lucas can be applied when the vehicle is still wet.

SeilerBird said:
Since you are going to make Trina do the waxing I think you should ask her opinion. ;D

Ouch!!!! I was trying to make it easier on her but she said we should just drive to St. Cloud. She knows a lonely soul there that would do it!!! ;D ;D ;D

I'm fond of the Protect All product, which I feel is as close as you are ever likely to get to "wipe on, wipe off' polishing and it does a quite decent job of shine and providing several months of protection. Works fine on paint or gel coat surfaces, and my wife likes it for the shower walls and such too.  However, it is not the product of choice if there is any oxidation to remove.  It is widely available, e.g. the Walmart RV aisle, dealer RV stores, Camping World, etc.

http://www.protectall.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=2

Wash your RV with Dawn dishsoap.  Dawn has an immulsifier in it that other dishsoaps do not.....it'll strip all previous waxes and other products back down to the paint without harming the paint.

Then apply a polymer sealant....I use Auto Magic on all my vehicles and buy it by the gallon (cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.)    http://www.automagic.com/cart/70.htm  .  You just apply it with a wet microfiber cloth.  Let it dry to a haze and then just wipe it off with clean microfiber.

Then apply a coat of good wax with an orbital buffer and microfiber pad. 

The polymer sealant will do a couple of things.....make the waxing much easier, make the "pop" factor of a good wax job even greater than just straight wax and you only have to apply the sealant once to every three or four wax jobs before you strip it back down to the paint.  A definate difference......it's what the high end vehicle dealerships do to get that "wet look" that most owners never seem to be able to get again.  The polymer is much easier to use than the wax, it's pretty much a wipe on....dry to haze....then wipe off, but you'll immediatly notice the difference.  Many people are tempted to stop right there but it's water based and will wash back off relatively quick if you don't put a coat of wax over it.

Everyone will have their favorite product. I found Protectall increasingly difficult to find locally, For full body paint, I see no real advantage over Turtle Wax. My prior comparison between Dri-Wash & Guard and Turtle Wax also didn't convince me that DWG was any better.

Here's an article in our Library on maintaining the new look of your RV.

Tom said:
Everyone will have their favorite product. I found Protectall increasingly difficult to find locally, For full body paint, I see no real advantage over Turtle Wax. My prior comparison between Dri-Wash & Guard and Turtle Wax also didn't convince me that DWG was any better.

Here's an article in our Library on maintaining the new look of your RV

This is a project I'm dreading. Can you say what kind of Turtle Wax, Tom. In the auto parts store there's several different ones. Or just plain ol' Turtle Wax?

Stan,

I think he is talking about the Turtle Wax Ice. It is a spray on that leaves on white chalky reside at all. Just spray on wipe off.

I've tried various Turtle Wax products, but their Express Shine consistently worked just fine. I looked back through some of my prior posts on this issue and saw that I've also used their Super Hardshell (liquid) Car Wax, but that can't be sprayed on.

I also vaguely recall trying their ICE product. I see that they now have ICE in several varieties, including spray and liquid wax.

FWIW I used the Search button in the toolbar above and searched on "Turtle Wax" (with quotes) and using my display name (Tom) to find my prior posts.

I've been using Meguires quik wax which is a spray and removes very easily.  I have used it on various vehicles and portions of my trailer.  Really happy with it but any spray wax would be a little costly on a large RV.

i use turtle wax "ice" paste wax twice a year. it is easy on and easy off and does not leave white residue on metal or rubber.
i use gel gloss wash and wax between paste wax .

I haven't applied any wax yet due to the cautions that I have read about waxing decals will cause them to crack. This MH has decals all over it  :-\
My salesman called it full body paint but to me it's painted gray/silver on the bottom half and white gel-coat w/ decals on the top half.
I would like to apply some wax to make it easier to wash off those pesky black streaks, for now Mean Green washes them off fairly easy  8)

buckstand said:
I haven't applied any wax yet due to the cautions that I have read about waxing decals will cause them to crack. This MH has decals all over it  :-\
My salesman called it full body paint but to me it's painted gray/silver on the bottom half and white gel-coat w/ decals on the top half.
I would like to apply some wax to make it easier to wash off those pesky black streaks, for now Mean Green washes them off fairly easy  8)

If it is Gelcoat try a fiberglass color restorer.

The white part of the sidewalls is probably clear-coated filon (or similar) fiberglass panels. It is essentially painted, but the paint is clear. Or it could be painted white.

Your salesman fed you BS (what a surprise, eh?).  That is not a "full body paint", as the term is used in the RV industry. There should be little or no use of decals and the entire coach would be painted in a color/pattern.

Back
Top Bottom