Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valentine

Hi there! We are new tent trailer owners and altho we don't need one we would like to eventually purchase a generator. We want lightweight and quietness, any suggestions???

A Honda, Yamaha or Champion 2000 will run most anything but the air conditioner. Any of them can be paired with a second to do that.

Welcome!

Ditto previous post.  Quality and price of generator is your choice.  Many opinions available if you decide to do a search pertaining to the subject.  My best advice would be get the best you can afford.  Keeping in mind before purchase any future plans you may want to do with your new tent trailer.  Quality generators are not cheap and would be in your best interest to plan for that when choosing one.  Assuming you would like to use the purchased genny with your next RV.  Very possible if the right decision on a genny is made.  Something to think about.

Sounds like you are taking the time to think about it.  Bravo!  Do some research and figure out the power demand you and your family may require to be comfortable as you are using your new camper.  Based on that demand, and the results of the research, then you will feel better about making a wise choice for a genny.

Give us some more info in regards to what kind of camping you would like to do.  Be as specific as possible.  You will get more specific answers.

Have fun with your new camper!

The Honda's and the Yamaha's are going to be your quietest by far and also the most expensive. I put a Champion 3500 in the bed of my pick-up for my small 5th wheel and it can be a tad noisy....I only run it when I need to recharge my batteries or in severe cold weather to heat the trailer before going to bed, if I am hitched up I never run it while I am sleeping since I would be right above the generator and would be concerned about fumes.

If I am dry camping I can park the truck the cord length away from the camper and it is much more quiet and don't have to worry about fumes. But not more quiet for my neighbors. However when I am dry camping I am usually in a pretty remote location and have no neighbors, so noise is less of an issue.

My best friend has a small hard camper, a classic canned ham and he has a Honda 2000 and it is almost silent. That would probably be more than enough for what you want as previously mentioned.

Good Luck.

Jim

We do have a Champion 3500/4000 and the only time I run it is when we are out in the boonies far from any one. I would only consider it quieter than true open frame construction generators or the Powermate generators, otherwise it is too loud for a group situation.

Generators are extremely useful no mater what you pick. Please be considerate and put yourself in the other guys shoes before firing it up. Even a "quiet" generator makes noise and it becomes annoying if you are trying to enjoy a peaceful day or take a nap in your pup.

If you don't plan on running a AC unit or microwave, you might consider a small solar set up to keep the batteries charged up.

I did a ton of research on generators and ended up buying a powerhouse. They are a little louder and heavier but half the price.  Read some bad reviews on them but I think they were gennys that sat around and only got started once a year I've had good luck with mine

Champion now has their 3100i inverter generator out for under $1000.  It's been getting great reviews if you can find one.

Wigpro said:
The Honda's and the Yamaha's are going to be your quietest by far and also the most expensive. I put a Champion 3500 in the bed of my pick-up for my small 5th wheel and it can be a tad noisy....I only run it when I need to recharge my batteries or in severe cold weather to heat the trailer before going to bed, if I am hitched up I never run it while I am sleeping since I would be right above the generator and would be concerned about fumes.

If I am dry camping I can park the truck the cord length away from the camper and it is much more quiet and don't have to worry about fumes. But not more quiet for my neighbors. However when I am dry camping I am usually in a pretty remote location and have no neighbors, so noise is less of an issue.

My best friend has a small hard camper, a classic canned ham and he has a Honda 2000 and it is almost silent. That would probably be more than enough for what you want as previously mentioned.

Good Luck.

Jim

The Champion 2000 watt inverter generator has exactly the same noise specs as the Honda and the Yamaha. Ditto for Boliy, Kipor, Generac and several other inverter generators. The big difference is that the Champion is about half the price of the Honda.

Joel

This is all very good info... I've looked at a few myself but no Champions... That 3100i sounds pretty good to me. I would like to run my AC and Heat with what ever I get.

1badcj8 said:
This is all very good info... I've looked at a few myself but no Champions... That 3100i sounds pretty good to me. I would like to run my AC and Heat with what ever I get.
I never could understand why they even manufacture the 3000...... 90% of the time a 2000 will do what you want. The 2000 weighs around 45#. The 3000 is over 125# and uses considerably more fuel to accomplish 90% of your tasks. If one need more than 2000W, the wise choice is to have 2, 2000W generators. The 2, 2000W cost less than the 3000W, they are easier to move and store.... 1 can be left home on the camp-outs that they won't be needed (which is 90%). the 2, 2000W put out more than the 3000W when needed.... I just can't see any logical reason to buy a 3000.

BTW...... I had 2, Honda 2000s for years. I finally gave one to my brother because I hardly ever used it. We just decided to camp where there are hook-ups on the odd occasion that it would be too hot. Now, if I lived in a hotter climate, I may have used the 2 more often.

Wavery said:
I never could understand why they even manufacture the 3000...... 90% of the time a 2000 will do what you want. The 2000 weighs around 45#. The 3000 is over 125# and uses considerably more fuel to accomplish 90% of your tasks. If one need more than 2000W, the wise choice is to have 2, 2000W generators. The 2, 2000W cost less than the 3000W, they are easier to move and store.... 1 can be left home on the camp-outs that they won't be needed (which is 90%). the 2, 2000W put out more than the 3000W when needed.... I just can't see any logical reason to buy a 3000.

BTW...... I had 2, Honda 2000s for years. I finally gave one to my brother because I hardly ever used it. We just decided to camp where there are hook-ups on the odd occasion that it would be too hot. Now, if I lived in a hotter climate, I may have used the 2 more often.

I have to agree looking at it like that it makes sense with the weight and all but you can not buy 2-2000W's for the same as one 3000W's, at least not now. Maybe back when you had them you could.

1badcj8 said:
I have to agree looking at it like that it makes sense with the weight and all but you can not buy 2-2000W's for the same as one 3000W's, at least not now. Maybe back when you had them you could.
Just a quick look at google shows that the 3000 is still at least twice as much as the 2000

https://www.google.com/search?q=honda+portable+generators&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=honda+portable+generators&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=shop

The bigger expense comes in when fueling and servicing the 3000. If one uses a genset 200 hours a year, that would be 200 hrs on the 3000. However, if one were to rotate the use on the 2000s, that would equate to about 110hrs (or less) on each 2000. That could (theoretically) almost double the life of the units. That's factoring in the 10% of the time that one would run the 2000s in tandem.

The bigger issue is just lugging that darn 3000 around. I can pretty well assure you that you won't be putting it away every night and the chances of it being there in the morning are far less.

The 3000 just makes zero sense in my mind.

If you go back and read where you replied to me first we, or I, was talking about "Champions", not Honda's. And the lowest for a 2000 in a Champion is 599 and the 3100 is 999. I know hard to believe I might be able to do a search myself... ;-)

1badcj8 said:
If you go back and read where you replied to me first we, or I, was talking about "Champions", not Honda's. And the lowest for a 2000 in a Champion is 599 and the 3100 is 999. I know hard to believe I might be able to do a search myself... ;-)
Same concept..... different color...... 2x2000..... the only way to go. The 3000 makes little sense.....

I have a Kipor 2300W commercial generator with an 8Hr run time. I have yet to use it.
We do have a large teardrop but systems are similar which is why I am here. Ours is set up for serious boondocking, All led lights, computer case fans... It also has a 180W 66cell high voltage solar panel and a 150AH AGM battery. The high voltage panel works even when shaded (just not as well). The only time we would want the generator is for the air-conditioner and at least out west the temps at night meant only the fans were needed. Since the tear is well insulated a modified 5,000 BTU window shaker works well.
A hard start capacitor may be the solution for using a smaller generator 

Back
Top Bottom