1st Time Buying a Used Trailer Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Br3ntl3ys

I'm working on a trade deal with a guy for my 1st camper trailer, I know nothing about them! It's a 1988 Sunline Nomad 32' frame originally. This guy is a carpenter, he re-did the entire interior - it's really/really nice and includes some electronics tv/stereo/fireplace but the outside of the camper has seen much better days! On the outside it needs new tires & wheels - vents on the roof, the doors are broken on the interior, exterior lights broken, all the service covers are missing, it's dented up... etc. it's pretty ruff! I'm trading him a Harley booked at $4500 and he also wants $1000. My question is this even close to a fair trade? The original trailer books for around $1500 in great condition, it has all the original appliances which are old as well. I have no idea how to judge the worth of the work he did on the interior since the rest is very old. He is trying to rush me which makes me think he's taking me for a ride! Any help on determining a value would help me very much ~ Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Camper2.jpg
    Camper2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Camper3.jpg
    Camper3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Camper4.jpg
    Camper4.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 52
  • Camper7.jpg
    Camper7.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Camper1.jpg
    Camper1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 59
Run.... and fast. The most important parts of that trailer have been neglected based on your description of the outside. No mention of caulking and joints etc which lead to leaks, wood rot etc....

The #1 killer of wood frame RVs is water infiltration from leaks caused by roof leaks, bad caulking on the roof seams, around the roof vents, etc. Moisture leads to rotting wood which takes out the wall frames, leads to mold growth, etc.

Usually you can see evidence of water leaks on the interior - but their stains can be covered by a coat of paint, at least for a while.

The question is what he did about any existing damage when he redid the interior, and what steps he took to insure it doesn't happen again.  RVs require regular maintenance to keep them water tight.  Signs like cracked or missing roof vents (including the plastic covers on the plumbing roof vents), cracked roof caulking around the vents, around the perimiter and along the roof seams, bad caulking around doors and windows, etc. are all paths for water entry.

If all he did was redo the interior, without sealing the exterior, I'd run away fast because the underlying problems will just reappear. 

Thanks for the tips guys, I didn't take the deal. He claims it's solid but I don't see the value on spending $5500 on a 1988 trailer that needs about $700 in work from what I can see off hand immediately. It's too bad cuz he's a cool guy but he just wants too much for the work he did. If anyone has a trailer around Worcester Mass. worth the same I have a Showroom quality '99' Harley Sportster 1200 up for trade. It won't let me post the pic of the bike (file too large) but I will email it, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom