1979 Brave what to look for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckrv

My wife and I are looking for our first MH. We found a 1979 Brave, is that too old to even consider? if not what are some of the things that are specific to this model to look out for?

Model specific issues are few in RV's as a whole. some models do have a few, but not many.

An rv is a chassis made by ford for example with appliances and accessories made by other vendor and pretty standard industry wide. So as far as the manufacturer, they build a box and put some cabinets in it. ( over simplified but noot far off )

So to your winnie, It's old. if it was not maintained very well and used often I would pass.

Things to look for, Chassis: Belts hoses and brake lines  Engine and trans leaks    worn springs and shocks    rust    Tire date codes within 5 yrs.
                            Body: Rot, leaks, shoddy wiring
                            Appliances: working?    age of refer (usually only last 8-10 yrs. )

And the list goes on...

Look in the resources tab for a pre purchase checklist.

Price, it would have to be VERY cheap to even consider.

Steve

What Steve said.

It is my opinion that if you buy an RV that old, you have bought yourself a project, either immediately or after you discover the things that need repair and/or improvement.  If you are a DIY guy and want to turn heads in a campground with a beautiful classic Winnebago, you go for it.  If you just want trouble-free camping without a lot of fuss and muss, look for a unit that's considerably newer.

canuckrv said:
We found a 1979 Brave, is that too old to even consider? if not what are some of the things that are specific to this model to look out for?

The '79 Brave is probably on a Dodge chassis. Many parts are hard, if not impossible, to find. Even a '93 Ford F-53, which I had until a few months ago, had parts supply problems.

R

Back
Top Bottom