New Brunswick, Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zwalt

Hi All,

We're thinking of taking a trip to New Brunswick, Canada and would like to know of any sights, routes, suggestions, etc. that anyone might have to help us plan the trip.

I expect that it would be later in August.

Any information will be appreciated.

Walt

You don't want to miss St. Andrews by the Sea, which has a great campground in town on the water.? Do not stay at the CG on the way into town, but drive into St. Andrews, through town on the main street and it's at the far end of town.? Be sure to visit and have a meal at the old railroad hotel, the Algonquin in St. Andrews.

Another town to visit is Fredericton, which has a beautiful museum.? Moncton is a nice city to visit, and its on the way to PEI.

St. John is OK, but it's a big city.? However St. John is where you would take the ferry to Digby, Nova Scotia if you choose to bypass driving there.

August is an ideal time for travel to the Maritimes.

Where else in the Maritimes do you intend to visit?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information.? We've just seriously started planning the trip so we do not have any specific plans as yet.? Your comments and any others will point us in the right direction.

We're heading out from Massachusetts through Maine.

Regards,

Walt

heading out from Massachusetts through Maine.

Then you'll be crossing at Calais ME into St. Stephen, NB.  The last time I crossed there, the turn coming out of Customs was pretty tight.

Be sure to stop at the Ganong chocolate factory in St. Stephen, a few hundred feet after leaving Customs.

You'll be about 20 or 30 miles from St. Andrews By the Sea, so make that your first stop and stay a few days.  If you are there on a Sunday, you'll want to enjoy the Sunday brunch at the Algonquin Hotel! 

Keep us informed of your plans and we can help you with your itinerary.

Do you play golf while you travel, because the Maritimes have some of the best courses in Canada!

Hi Steve,

Some question around your reply.....

Is Oak Bed campground in St Stephens the one you were recommending?

... of Customs was pretty tight. My unit is a 34" Allegro. I wouldn't anticiapte any major issues with the turns but let me know what you think.

Be sure to stop at the Ganong chocolate factory in St. Stephen, ...Chocolate sounds GOOD.

If you are there on a Sunday, you'll want to enjoy the Sunday brunch at the Algonquin Hotel!  .... We're not towing a vehicle so how might we get around.  Are car rentals available?

Do you play golf ... Thanks but I prefer volleyball.  I know it takes a bit of skill but I could never understand a sport where you hit the ball then walk after it?  ;-)

Thanks,

Walt

Walt,

We drive a 40 ft coach with toad, and got around Customs OK and tractor trailers do it all the time...I just gave you a heads up so you can be prepared.

Here's the info on the CG in St. Andrews By the Sea:

St. Andrews By the Sea Oceanfront Camping
(877) 393-7070
(506) 529-3439
fax (506) 529-3246

email [email protected]
www.kiwanisoceanfrontcamping.com

With regard to place names in the Maritimes you'll be labelled as a "pesky tourist" ;D ;D  if you say St. Stephens or St. Johns, New Brunswick.  The correct names are St. Stehen and St. John.

BTW St. Johns is in Newfoundland.

St. Andrews has taxis, but it's an easy walk from the CG I've given you to the Algonq if you're able to walk about a mile with about 1/4 mile slightly up hill to the hotel.

I went on a trip up there (albeit in a car, not RV) awhile ago.  While in New Brunswick, check out Magnetic Hill in Moncton.  It's an optical illusion where you drive your car (or RV?) "down" a gravel road, stop, put it in neutral, and then coast back "up" the hill.  But it'll baffle you trying to figure out why you're coasting uphill.  Really neat.  See more info at www.magnetichill.com .  I think there's also an amusement park near there.

After that, we looped up to Campbellton, New Brunswick and then followed the coastline around the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec (toward the town of Gaspe).  Then proceed north around the peninsula, then looping west and then finally southward along the St. Lawrence River thru towns such as Ste-Anne-des-Monts, Rimouski, Riviere du Loup, then into Quebec City and then Montreal.  The north part of the Gaspe Peninsula is absolutely beautiful with the winding roads take you down thru some very quaint (entirely French) towns, each with a distinctive church steeple which is the first thing you see as you decend down into the town.  People are sitting out on their front porches waving to you.  But it's entirely French way up there, so it's like you are on a different continent!  Take your French language book!

Gary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom