Cover or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

68chstiger

We just bought a new travel trailer that is mainly going to be used as guest quarters at our lake house. We do plan on going on a couple of trips a year. My question is this; would it be benificial to put it under a portable carport while it is stationary for several months at a time? Some folks have told me it puts a strain on the a/c unit because of the heat from the metal roof and that the top gets really dirty from not getting any rain on it. Opinions anyone?
Thanks,
68chstiger

I would consider the portable car port more than a cover that is in contact with the RV. From what I've seen of covers that make contact tend to leave rub marks on the RV over time from the wind and shifting of the material. Then on top of that some covers might trap moisture inside and make the RV musty smelling. The carport idea will allow for air to circulate and not have contact with the RV. But over time you will have to wash the dust off the RV body and roof.

Mine is parked in the yard uncovered year round with no issues. Just do my yearly check on the roof and seam sealant.

The roof gets really dirty whether the rain gets on it or not, so I might opt for the protection from tree limbs and ultraviolet.

As for the a/c, as long as the roof is far enough above the a/c to let air circulate well, it should make no difference. Say maybe a couple of feet above? Sun on the a/c cover is an extra burden on too, as is the heat generated inside the trailer by sun on the roof, so you gain a little one way and lose a little another.

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going with the carport, makes more sense to me.
68chstiger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom