Removing vacuum breaker from shower hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagonmaster2

The vacuum breaker at the end of the shower hose is leaking (or maybe I should say spraying) and was wondering if I can remove it so I can fasten the shower hose in its place until I can get a new breaker from Delta.  Are the threads the same where the breaker attaches to the wall as the end of the breaker where the hose attaches.

Wagonmaster2 said:
The vacuum breaker at the end of the shower hose is leaking (or maybe I should say spraying) and was wondering if I can remove it so I can fasten the shower hose in its place until I can get a new breaker from Delta.  Are the threads the same where the breaker attaches to the wall as the end of the breaker where the hose attaches.

NO, normally the vacuum breaker has a small, 1/4 pipe thread in the faucet and 1/2" pipe for the hose.  At least that is the way all of my RV shower fixtures were.  Most hardware, RV stores and big box stores have them in stick.  They do break/crack easily.  I usually have a couple in the junk box for just such situations.  They usually fail, for me at least, when the boss is in the shower.

Are the threads the same where the breaker attaches to the wall as the end of the breaker where the hose attaches.

If the vacuum breaker in your shower looks like the white one in the upper right of the attached picture, the answer is no, they are different sizes.  You can pick one up at most any RV supply store or at Camping World.  You might try removing the vacuum breaker and re-installing it in case it wasn't connected properly.

Attachments

• Phoenix D Spud and Vacuum Breakers.jpg
    Phoenix D Spud and Vacuum Breakers.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for that information, I kind of thought it looked like different sizes on each end of the breaker.  This is on a 9 year old coach and just recently started leaking.

I've "cured" a few leaking shower vacuum breakers by running a small sheet metal screw into the air vent hole. That looses the vacuum breaker function of course, but I've never found that to be an issue.

There are a couple of different vacuum breakers (3 that I've used) for the shower

one is built into the mixer valve,  Odds are there is a rubber flap and you can remove the flap (Take the hose off) and clean or invert it.

one is the diverter in a diverter type tub filler/shower mixer.

The third is an "inline" like the ones you screw on the faucet at the perk before you hook up your hose (If you do as you shold).  This one can be removed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom