Advice out west please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so stressed out!!! We had Utah all planned out (so we thought! LOL).  I guess its back to the planning!!!!

Jade

It'll be hot in Moab in July but that doesn't mean you can't have a good time. If you still think you want to do Moab, go there. If you decide it's too hot, leave and head up into the Mountains. You've got the LaSalles and Abajos in SE Utah. Or head into Colorado and visit Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, Durango, Cortez. Be flexible and you WILL have a wonderful week.

Wendy
Cortez

Jade,

You have the stressful problem of compressing a killer vacation into a one week window starting at one specific point. Wendy's advice to be flexible is extremely important in the RV lifestyle, even if you only have a week. We have spent time in all the places mentioned, and "our" preference would be in the cool air. If you guys are sun and water people, you will be in a different place than us!

As fulltimers, we have much more time to spend in different places, but even we need to be flexible first. Weather changes, mechanical issues, family crises, work issues, all play into the mix.

It will help your stress level possibly to plan more than one trip option from ABQ and see where that takes you. When you refuse to compromise with reality, it'll make your head hurt!

You still have plenty of time to work up three (pick a number) itineraries and get some input. Fortunately for us all, there is not just one way to do it, and you still get to choose. It'll be fun!

Breathe!!!

Kim

Albuquerque to Canyonland (Moab) = 1 day drive + 1 day site seeing
Moab to Monument Valley =  1 day drive with time to site see
Monument Valley to North Rim of G/C =  1 day drive + 1 day site seeing
North Rim to Albuquerque = 2 days drive

That is seven days. 

IMHO Canyonland beats either rim of the Grand Canyon and is not to be missed.  You could stay in UT and do Canyonland, Green River, and Capital Reef.  I don't think that you will be disappointed in that trip either.

Another vote for skipping 4 corners.  When we visited (only because it was on the way) it costs $6 per person to get through the gate.  There's nothing there other than the stone marking the 4 corners and a bunch of Indians selling pots and jewelry.  By the way, the latest figures show that the actual location of those 4 corners is about a 1/2 mile from that location but you do get to take this required photo.
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/four-corners-monument-shiprock?select=gYIc2rKuvBn70YUbv6tkuA#gYIc2rKuvBn70YUbv6tkuA

I agree with everyone else - you have little time to see a lot. I will contribute just a few small suggestions.

1. Limit your daily drives to 250 miles or less. Setting up camp takes time and you will be stopping a lot to amaze yourself with the wonderful views.
2. Reserve, reserve, reserve the campsites well ahead of time. National Parks and State Parks fill up quickly and in the southwest, but they are located near some of the best scenery. Most national and state parks set aside campsites for "first come, first serve", but the peace of mind you get by having a reservation may be important to you.
3. My personal favorite is Kodachrome State Park a few miles east of Bryce Canyon. The name should tell you a lot!
4. Try to string a couple days together in at least one location to give you a rest from driving. Its not always about the journey, but about the destination. You'll see more of the local charm, see awesome sunsets or sunrises, and not feel so rushed.

Hope these few hints help! Enjoy the Southwest!  :)

Steve
2011 Thor Serrano
2008 Jeep Wrangler

We have decided to focus our time in Utah, split between Moab and Zion.  We will spend a day at the Grand Canyon.  We are getting very excited and thank you all for the great words of advice.

:)
Jade

Great Horned Owl said:
I would be inclined to substitute Bryce for Zion. It is more scenic and less crowded IMHO.

Joel

Might consider Capitol Reef NP instead of either Bryce or Zion... much closer to Moab and much less crowded.  We were deeply impressed and it's really large so there are many, many places to see.  Torrey is about the only place with amenities... like gas, food, water, etc.  There is a RV park in Hanksville which is ok but limited.  The Cathedral Valley loop is scenic and interesting, for instance, but the Reef formation is a geologic formation that you won't see anywhere else.

Don't want to rain on your parade and if you want to do Moab, by all means do Moab. BUT, it is going to be around 100 degrees all day in Moab in July so please do have an alternate plan and things to do in cooler places. FWIW, the high's been over 100 in Moab all week and it's only June.

Wendy
Cortez CO

taoshum said:
Might consider Capitol Reef NP instead of either Bryce or Zion... much closer to Moab and much less crowded.  We were deeply impressed and it's really large so there are many, many places to see.  Torrey is about the only place with amenities... like gas, food, water, etc.  There is a RV park in Hanksville which is ok but limited.  The Cathedral Valley loop is scenic and interesting, for instance, but the Reef formation is a geologic formation that you won't see anywhere else.

Capitol Reef has some really nice hiking, and some long but not terribly difficult 4x4 driving, but the scenery is not at all as spectacular as Bryce. Also, Bryce is over 8000' and will be much cooler during the summer months.

Joel

Fun planning isnt it?  Hhahahaha....NOT!

I feel your pain.  One thing you might want to do with the Grand Canyon since you really want to see it is to keep your RV parked where it is and secure a Caravan as a rental (only rental I know of that has 3 rows for sure).

I have been to the Canyon (by motorcycle) and not any place I would want to navigate my RV threw especially during the busiest time of the year and not being an experience RV'er.

Not to mention your cost of the van rental will pay for itself.  30mpg goes a ton further than 7-9mpg!

We have rental vans lined up at every place we are stopping on our trip so we just park the RV and can explore without worrying about where to park a 36ft rig.

Just some food for thought. 

Back
Top Bottom