1986 Dodge Ram 250 conversion van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daddy_2_Cru

Hello all,

I'm brandy new to the site and just looking for any useful insight or knowledge of this 1986 dodge ram 250 conversion van pictured below. I am seriously entertaining a guys offer of 1,200 for it. I know the mechanics that have worked on it and they say it's very good condition. It has 159,000 miles on it. We are planning on a long cross country trip and want to know the life span and gas mileage. We may also be towing a 1975 airstream land yacht (24') behind it. I appreciate any advice or insights anyone can bestow on me.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• PS Van.jpg
    PS Van.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 33
Greetings Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

I saw that no one replied to your questions. You might try the Trailers & Fifthwheels section of the forum with a question related to the trailer.

I'd suggest going to the library and looking under Towing and Towables section. Then go to the Trailer towing tips for newbies. Lots of good information there that should answer your questions.

I looked up quickly your tow vehicle and trailer information. Think you need a 3/4 ton in order to tow the airstream. Your Dodge is only a 1/2 ton. Add weight to the trailer and tow vehicle and it might be over weight.

There are a lot more people with practical experience here that can help you out but Thought I would chime in for a bit.

Good luck!

The high mileage on that carbureted vehicle would concern me. I don't care how well it has been cared for. Everything has a life span (even you and I). That vehicle when it was brand new may have been up to the task (however over-loaded) but it would have never made it this far towing a trailer.

Asking that vehicle to do what a new vehicle shouldn't is just begging for trouble. You may get another 10K - 40K miles out of that vehicle  (IF you are kind to it) non-towing (if you are very lucky).

As far as mileage is concerned, you can expect 10-12mpg non-towing (maybe 14, down-hill with a tailwind). Towing that trailer.... 8-10, depending on terrain and weather.

Plan on towing the vehicle (from the middle of no where and leaving the trailer on the side of the road) to get the transmission replaced during your 1st big tow ($2K-$3K)....... If you can't afford that...... don't buy it.... it's as simple as that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom