"Flattest" route from Mid-Atlantic to Grand Canyon area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy,

You should be able to ride your bike to the mall but be careful of the traffic. You know how it is with a bunch of tourists!!!! ;D

Jim Dick said:
There are several tour companies that seem to run shuttles but I don't know the cost.

That's what we used when we were there Jim. I don't recall the price, but I think it was very reasonable.

Jim Dick said:
Wendy,

You should be able to ride your bike to the mall but be careful of the traffic. You know how it is with a bunch of tourists!!!! ;D

Don't I know what tourists are like driving ... I live in a tourist town !! Fortunately, here I know the back routes to miss them. Maybe the shuttle bus/tour in Nashville is a good choide :)

Wendy,

The shuttle, if there is one in the campground you choose, would be better than the bike. Only problem is you have to follow their schedule.

Just checked our Trailer Life guide. Two Rivers has transportation to Opry Land and Opry Mills Mall. Holiday has transportation to Opry Land. KOA doesn't mention any shuttle but they did have one when we stayed during a rally. Perhaps it was only for the rally. It doesn't give any schedule but I'm sure if you call the campground they will tell you when they run the shuttle.

Opry Land and Opry Mills are in the same area as you may already know. I'm guessing Holiday only runs the shuttle during the shows.

Jim,

The shuttle stopped at KOA when we stayed there two years ago (not a rally).

Tom said:
Jim,

The shuttle stopped at KOA when we stayed there two years ago (not a rally).

Good to know, Tom. I'm sure there are ways to get to the important "things" from any one of the campgrounds. Sure do like stopping there. It's nice it's on the way to or from our service center and Florida. :)

We avoid KOAs when at all possible. Sorry, everyone has a few prejudices.

We'll be at the Opryland Hotel for 9 nights during our Coca-Cola convention but want someplace before or after to stay in the motorhome and do 'touristy' things so will check out the suggestions here. We're also not opposed to taking public transportation when available. We enjoy riding the bikes but prefer places that are flat and low in traffic ... back roads of Quartzsite were just about right. Will be towing a trailer full of Coke stuff to sell so no toad other than the bicycles.

Also need a nice kennel for Mr Sam while we're at the hotel....Opryland Hotel is definitely not pet friendly and I can understand why. If the weather was nice, he could stay in the motorhome and we'd walk him and visit with him a bunch of times during the day but Nashville in July?? Probably not nice weather. He'll be happier somewhere where he has A/C and a swimming hole and gets a nighty-night treat.

Jim Dick said:
Don,

But you're used to those alarms. Probably even miss them!! ;D ;D

No I DON'T miss them. Always hated them. Every once in a while I'd get a driver that for some reason would leave the shift lever in reverse and sit there with the ignition on doing their paper work.

Yes, it is a nice campground and we always stay there when in Nashville. Very friendly staff. Even let me move my coach so I could access Directv to activate my new receiver. Parked right next to the pool. I did have to move back to my site and didn't get reception there. :)

Yes, the staff is really nice. When we were getting ready to leave I discovered a low tire. By the time we got that fixed (that's another story) and were ready to leave it was about 3 hours past checkout time. No sweat they said. Stuff happens.

wendycoke said:
We avoid KOAs when at all possible.

We do too Wendy. That day we had little choice when other CGs had long lines up the street (they knew something I didn't!)

Wendy,

We have avoided KOA for several years. Only in an emergency will we stop there. We really like Passport America. Not all top shelf campgrounds but most are just fine for overnighting. Some are even great for extended stays. Get our yearly dues back in about 3 stays.

Don,

I'm sure you realize that was said with tongue in cheek! ;D ;D I think some of those drivers are in Nashville. Sometimes those alarms are on for a long time. I've learned to ignore them and will continue to stay at Two Rivers. A couple of times while we were there we saw Mel McDaniel's coach. His significant other was always walking the dog. She was funny. She became friendly with a couple across the way and one night before the show she showed up in tight jeans, boots, etc. I heard her say "see, I told you I cleaned up pretty good". ;D  We did see him at a show as well. He sang his hit "Stand Up" to a standing ovation. The lyrics were updated to honor our troops.

Back
Top Bottom