freightliner VS. spartan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MonacoMoe said:
I would think that the only way to notice a real difference between an IFS chassis and a non is by taking it off some bumpy dirt roads, but why would I want to take a 300,000+ DP in the dirt?? Plus if you get stuck in the sand you cant tow a IFS chassis out from what I understand.?

I believe they had to tow a lot of motorhomes out of the mud at a FMCA convention.  I know at least two of those had IFS.? Personally I would not buy another coach without IFS and I would not recommend a coach without IFS.? Again personal choices.

Monaco Moe:

Moe, like Ron, I have not come across a situation where an IFS suspension coach could not be pulled out of a hazard.  But I'd be interested if you could provide more information.  Is there a reason why IFS suspension would make this difficult?

Monaco Moe,

Smoky has mentioned the improved steering over a straight axle. Another very significant advantage is the smaller turning radius. The cut of the front wheels is much greater than a straight axle.

Jim

Hate to disagree with you but my '98 Damom on a Freightliner solid front axle had a 50 degree wheel cut. My '02 TS on a Spartan chassis with IFS has a 45 degree angle. It all depends on how the manufacturer designs the suspension.

I'll chime in here since we have a Freightliner with IFS.  I haven't even driven a non-Freightliner chassis coach so I can't directly compare Spartan to FTL.  After owning our coach for a little over a year and for 15K miles, I offer the following:

-We have a 55 (or was it 56) degree wheel cut.  This was unique to the IFS Freightliner chassis compared to Freightliner straight axle chassis until recently.  I have a FTL brochure advertising a straight axle chassis with 55 degree wheel cut

-Our steering is really effortless and unless we have a significant cross wind, it is literally two-finger steering (it is actually now "two-finger" steering now during most all conditions - see below)

-We had no "center feel" of the steering - the coach would steer in whever direction you left the steering wheel positioned.  This bothered us so much we had the Howard Precision Center Steer installed.  Now we have it all - great steering, a comfortable ride and we push a button to trim the steering for any wind or road condition

-We continue to be amazed at the preponderance of Freightliner dealers all over the country.  It seems like we see a Freightliner sign every two or three hours when on an Interstate.  There was also a Freightliner dealer in Anchorage - I wonder where you would get your Spartan chassis worked on here in Alaska?  To be sure not all of them are an "Oasis" dealer (trained for motorhomes speciffically), but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut any dealer will help you out if you were in a jam

BernieD said:
Jim

Hate to disagree with you but my '98 Damom on a Freightliner solid front axle had a 50 degree wheel cut. My '02 TS on a Spartan chassis with IFS has a 45 degree angle. It all depends on how the manufacturer designs the suspension.

Bernie,

Not sure what my cut is but according to Spartan's website it's 55 degrees. I do know it's a lot more than Terry's straight axle CC. The new CC's with IFS turn much sharper. The new Freightliner IFS seems much better than mine. I have the Mountain Master GT chassis.

John Canfield said:
-We continue to be amazed at the preponderance of Freightliner dealers all over the country.  It seems like we see a Freightliner sign every two or three hours when on an Interstate.  There was also a Freightliner dealer in Anchorage - I wonder where you would get your Spartan chassis worked on here in Alaska?  To be sure not all of them are an "Oasis" dealer (trained for motorhomes speciffically), but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut any dealer will help you out if you were in a jam

John

All those FL dealers are smoke. Of the 300+ dealerships, less than 100 are Oasis dealers, which are the only FL dealer I would take a motorhome to. I went to 7 FL shops with my FL chassis and there are 4 that I would never step into again.

My current coach is on a Spartan and I haven't had any problem finding a qualified shop to service it, and we have over 64k miles on it.[br]Date Posted: August 11, 2006, 04:55:50 PM
Jim Dick said:
Not sure what my cut is but according to Spartan's website it's 55 degrees. I do know it's a lot more than Terry's straight axle CC. The new CC's with IFS turn much sharper. The new Freightliner IFS seems much better than mine. I have the Mountain Master GT chassis.

Spartan started transitioning to 50-55 degree cuts in 2001. Mine was one of the last 45ers, the 13,600# front axle. Nowadays, just about all Spartan fronts are 55 degrees except for a couple of 50. I also have a Mountain Master chassis, it all depends on the front axle (weight rating).

Jim

>>I do know it's a lot more than Terry's straight axle CC.<<

You got that right, I don't call her the "Queen Mary" for nothing.<G>

BernieD said:
John

All those FL dealers are smoke. Of the 300+ dealerships, less than 100 are Oasis dealers, which are the only FL dealer I would take a motorhome to. I went to 7 FL shops with my FL chassis and there are 4 that I would never step into again.

Bernie:

Last week I had a front airbag dump valve go bad in Somers MT. Called FL who helped me troubleshoot the problem and gave me the part number I needed. Missoula Freightliner 90 miles south had the part I needed for $42.00.

I drove down and picked it up and was back in action in a few hours.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Jim

>>I do know it's a lot more than Terry's straight axle CC.<<

You got that right, I don't call her the "Queen Mary" for nothing.<G>

Yea, but you sure know how to turn her around! ;D ;D ;D

Country Coach for 2007 just introduce an entry level $265K motorcoach the Tribute 260 (37' to 40' lenghth) with IFS and a wider wheel cut .... "DynoMax? semi-monocoque chassis with Reyco-Granning independent front suspension featuring an industry leading 57? wheel cut".

On another note, at GVWR=35,600 and GCWR=45,600 is it under power using a Caterpillar C-9 8.8L 400 HP with 1100 ft?lbs torque at 1400 RPM ?

vlady daddy said:
Country Coach for 2007 just introduce an entry level $265K motorcoach the Tribute 260 (37' to 40' lenghth) with IFS and a wider wheel cut .... "DynoMax? semi-monocoque chassis with Reyco-Granning independent front suspension featuring an industry leading 57? wheel cut".

On another note, at GVWR=35,600 and GCWR=45,600 is it under power using a Caterpillar C-9 8.8L 400 HP with 1100 ft?lbs torque at 1400 RPM ?

I remember when $265K was at least the middle of the diesel range!!!! Freightliner is using a 55? cut on the 2007 Allegro Phaeton. I'd say the power is probably fine as long as you are not going to pull a Hummer! A 4000# toad would still keep you in a good horsepower to weight ratio but it would be on the edge. You should have at least 1hp/100lbs of weight.

Jim Dick said:
Freightliner is using a 55? cut on the 2007 Allegro Phaeton.

Jim, are you sure it's a FL chassis? I thought most Tiffins were on a Spartan chassis now. Still a 55 degree cut.

In my shopping I recently found the Tiffin dealer.? For 2007 they will build a Phaeton or Allegro Bus on either FL or Spartan chassis.? The salesman said all for stock units for their dealership would be Spartan because they (Demontrond Motorhomes) can work on Spartan chassis but not FL.

Re: turning circle, the Monaco and Holiday Rambler people have been touting their tight turning circle because of the 10" shorter wheelbase for the 8 airbags.? I seem to remember one saying 55 degree cut.? One took me to a parking lot in a (05)Monaco Windsor to show off the tight turning circle.? I've been looking at enough brands that I could be confused about the 55 degree cut.

The Holiday Rambler salesman did the most impressive demo drive, though, by doing a violent lane change to simulate an emergency evasive maneuver in an Endeavor.

BernieD said:
Jim, are you sure it's a FL chassis? I thought most Tiffins were on a Spartan chassis now. Still a 55 degree cut.

Bernie,

What I read was a FL. I see they may have an option in '07. They are also coming out with a 42' tag axle.

Back
Top Bottom