Questions about fulltiming with cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierrasue

Hi all!! I am planning to fulltime soon. I did it for two years in mid 90's and cant wait to hit the road again. Back then I had one cat. Not much problem with him. I now have a dog and 3 cats. All 10 to 13 years old. But, I dont want them to stop me from living my dream. I just hope I can also make it comfortable and safe for them.
Questions.
Can you travel with cats in trailer??? I have heard it is illegal. Does anyone do that?
If so please give me any feedback on this issue.
I have not decided yet on RV or Trailer.
I am thinking an RV would be better suited for me and all my critters.
Does anyone block front driving section of your RV off from the cats ? and if so , how?

Anyone else have multiple cats?? advice???

We started RV'ing in a trailer with 2 cats back in the early nineties.  They rode with us in the van as it would have been too uncomfortable for them in the trailer ( bouncing around and no A/C).  After a few trips of having to move them back and forth Ken decided that "they" needed a motorhome.  We are now on our third motorhome, still with 2 cats, and they would not go back to a 5th or trailer.

Sheila (Mia & Ariel's slave) & Ken their driver

I bet they wouldnt go back !! I am thinking for them the RV is much better then the trailer.
I did okay in an rv for two years when I fulltimed in mid 90's so I guess it will most likely be an  RV again for me and the critters.  ;)

sierrasue said:
I bet they wouldnt go back !! I am thinking for them the RV is much better then the trailer.
I did okay in an rv for two years when I fulltimed in mid 90's so I guess it will most likely be an  RV again for me and the critters.  ;)

A Motor home is by far the easiest with critters, the ride is better for them and you know how they are doing at all times.  We allowed our cat to be loose in the MH but that really meant, he was on the couch, under the couch, on the recliner or under the recliner when we were moving.  After that, he wandered at will.

Many people have the cat(s) in carriers while moving and we had done that but he told us that was not acceptable so we let him loose.

I found a way to hold the shower door ajar while both traveling and parked so the litter box was in the shower.  That has worked well for us.  Different floor plans allow other options.

We will shortly have to acclimatize a new kitten to the MH so that will be interesting.

Good luck and hope these comments help.

Thanks Jim,

I traveled in a MH before with one cat and did not crate him. I suppose I will just let them do what they want. Sure am thinking tho of putting up some kind of screen to seperate the front because they are all used to going outside and I fear they will  be trying to run out the door at stops where I just have to get out for one thing or another.

Also, what it the home needs to be worked on??? How do you handle that?

I did have my motorhome worked on a lot before and would put the one cat in the bathroom if it was going to be a quick job but on a longer job once I had to find a room to rent that would allow him to stay with me for a few days. 

My last travelling cat would go outside when we parked for a few days at a safe location. He never took to a leash but would stay close to MH.

I may be crazy trying to do this with  3 cats. I only hope they adjust okay. Think I will get a MH ahead of time and let them start going in it on their own. You know how cats like to explore.. Then one day take them for a drive.....

We have full timed with our two cats for coming up on three years in August. We crated them the first trip - never again! Never heard so much noise away from a twin engine turboprop on a flightline!

We have had service on a number of occasions, always with the cats in the coach. We try to schedule the service so that there are no time surprises. We give exact instructions to the shop staff and place a sign on the door, "Cats on Board". Never had a problem, even when they worked inside. However, they hate the sound of air impact wrenches!

We never leave the dealer, though, just in case, and hold the cats to their feeding schedule, making sure the shower is open so they can use the litter box. We check on them every several hours, if the service is extended, just to keep them reassured. They usually sleep through it all.

I would warn you, though, if you have cats that like to jailbreak, you results will vary! Ours will not jailbreak, but they have considered it...  8)

I am a full timer sharing my 32 foot class A with three cats. They travel beautifully. They all just go curl up somewhere and fall asleep while I am driving. Cats generally don't like being up front when driving because they respond to motion like it is prey trying to escape them. When they see the outside world rushing by at 60 mph it is a sensory overload for them. You should not need any barrier to keep them out of the front. I did have one cat that wanted to be on my lap when I was driving and I just kept tossing him off and he got the message after a few attempts. A carrier is totally unnecessary.

We're not cat people, but I've heard comments that you need to be careful bringing slides in if you have cats because they get trapped in small places like under a sofa.  The solution is to find all your pets before retracting the slides.

ArdraF

sierrasue said:
Also, what it the home needs to be worked on??? How do you handle that?

We had a situation that required we be out of the MH for almost 5 days.  We put the cat in a cardboard  carrier and found a motel that allowed pets.  Took his kit with us so he had his food and water dish, a litter box, covered, and I took him for a walk several times a day usually in a park some where.

I traveled with a cat for about 9 years or so - and really miss that now. Unfortunately, I am in hot climates at times and not able to run air all the time during the day. And even if I could, would be reluctant to trust my cat to park power. If 95 outside can quickly become 105 inside without air running.

My cats never needed a carrier. They would either sleep on the dash or, with my Little Dude guy, liked to sleep on my neck or just hang out there and look out the window while we were underway. Cats are incredibly great companions.

I do carry my "cat rescue kit" just in case I find one in trouble. Here are some of my cats, some owned and rescued:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/sets/72157616971433047/

Last year we traveled with 3 cats with no problems. We are down to 2 for this year unless a new rescue comes along. They find their spots, we always make sure we know where there are when the slides are moving in or out.

Last week we went on a shakedown cruise for the season, and were astonished to see our neighbors with a cat on a leash. They had it outside while they grilled. We have tried the leash thing with ours, but they are rescues, and generally very mature when we get them, so its hard to "teach an old cat new tricks"  ;D They are indoor cats as well, and are overwhelmed by being out of doors suddenly. As soon as the leash goes on, they hunker down and don't move. If we ever get a kitten or youngster, I will probably try it again.

Have fun with your cats. Ours took to travel this last week like they were never home for the winter.

Stan

Our cats have always traveled with us since we switched from trailer to motorhome. One wasn't very happy riding in the truck when we towed a 5W - maybe too confining? But he liked the motorhome.  Some few cats are very comfortable riding up front and watching, but I think most hunker down somewhere that they feel safe and just hang on. Our current 1.5 year old kitty is content as long as she can lie in the passenger seat alongside my wife, but gets very anxious if Nancy gets up even for a few seconds.

A couple caveats: older cats do not take changes very well - I fear your 10-13 yer olds are going to have a lot of distress and complain bitterly, in both voice and their actions. And if they are accustomed to being "outdoor cats", you are going to have a challenge keeping them inside and many anxious moments when you (inevitably) fail at it.

Bob Buchanan said:
Unfortunately, I am in hot climates at times and not able to run air all the time during the day. And even if I could, would be reluctant to trust my cat to park power. If 95 outside can quickly become 105 inside without air running.
That is no excuse Bob. Cats don't need air conditioning. In fact my cats don't like a/c. When I turn my a/c on they generally head for the bedroom where it is much hotter. Domestic cats are descended from Desert Cats from the Sahara. They get along real well in a warm climate.

When we first started out with two cats the did get themselves in shrinking spaces (Slides) a few times, but we were careful and after one or two close calls they learned.

They did find a place thy like to hide, (under the bed between the moving and non-moving part, the bed is on a slide out) There is enough room for them there and it's safe, the only problem is with the slide all the way out they are trapped.

I cut 'em a "Kitty Door" so now they come and go to the 'cat House" as they please, slides in or out.

I have a "Traveller" water dish (it has a doughnut shaped lid that means if it splashes it splashes INTO the bowl not out of it) for rolling down the highway and a pet fountain (Drinkwell brand but there are others) I use when parked.

both cats have been trained since kittens to a leash, they only go outside if leashed. Thus complying with "Pets must be leashed" rules in parks.. Just like a puppy, only where as a puppy follows me around.. It kind of works the other way around with the cats.

We're not "full timing" but we travel a lot with our 2 cats.  Our monster cat, Rusty, was 10 weeks old when we got him and when we were driving he would sit in the steering wheel on the air bag.  He outgrew that habit thankfully and now he sleeps on the couch or sits on the seat back of either captains chair while we are driving.  He sort of howls for the first hour of the first day of our trip and after that he's OK.  He's been across the U.S. nine times in our MH.  Our other cat, Penny, hides in the closet or under the couch as soon as we start the MH engine and doesn't come out until we stop.  Penny's been across the U.S. three times.  We never put them in a carrier while traveling although we carry one with us in case a trip to the vet is needed.

SeilerBird said:
That is no excuse Bob. Cats don't need air conditioning.

Some cats cannot take higher temps and/or humidity - especially long hairs, or, in my case, a Persian. Their nose is pushed into their face so are not able to intake air as readily as other cats. I discovered this one hot summer when my cat started panting heavily and his tongue began to turn color. Have had 2 vets verify to me that "any" cat in temps well over 100 degrees run the risk of heat stroke.

In the Sacramento area I have rarely experienced a summer without spells of 105 to 110 and higher outside temps. Last year when I arrived in Laughlin the outside temp was 112 - and it took a lot of time for the A/C to even get it down to 100. If the air would go out, I don't care what the breed, inside temps well over 110 would be bad news for a cat.

Thanks for all the replys.

Bob, those where some beautiful cats you had!!!

Gary, Yes, I am very concerned about my elder cats taking to the idea of travel,  and the fact that they like to go outdoors.  I think it will be rough at first but hoping they will adapt. I suppose they can go outdoors when I am settled for a few days in a safe place and I may be able to harness train them. Will start working on that.

If it is any consolation, both of our cats were eight years plus when we left three years ago and have not been out of the coach since (well, a couple of tree climbs in Montana, maybe)...they adapt rather quickly and well.

The first coach was a Cat that was a little noisy, and that was their cue to hide somewhere when we cranked up. The new Cummins is so quiet, they just ride on the couch or between the front seats on the floor.

Noises and thumping sounds seemed to give us the most trouble. I will tell you, though, they sleep like babies after six hours on the road. Their eyes may be shut, but they know something is different.

Here's a picture of a fellow camper we met whose cat has fully adapted...

Attachments

• img026_540_forum.jpg
    img026_540_forum.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 67
Bob Buchanan said:
I traveled with a cat for about 9 years or so - and really miss that now. Unfortunately, I am in hot climates at times and not able to run air all the time during the day. And even if I could, would be reluctant to trust my cat to park power. If 95 outside can quickly become 105 inside without air running.

My cats never needed a carrier. They would either sleep on the dash or, with my Little Dude guy, liked to sleep on my neck or just hang out there and look out the window while we were underway. Cats are incredibly great companions.

I do carry my "cat rescue kit" just in case I find one in trouble. Here are some of my cats, some owned and rescued:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/sets/72157616971433047/

Nice, sounds like the cats own some nice people. :)

Randy

Back
Top Bottom