EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Questions about fulltiming with cats  (Read 8677 times)

sierrasue

• ---
  • Love to travel !
    • http://sierrasusieq-mylifeinphotography.blogspot.com/
Re: Questions about fulltiming with cats
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
I was also looking at some outdoor kitty tents not long ago. Great idea !!

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 09:32:51 AM »
Sue,

One of the things to consider about outside enclosures is that we have been in a number of parks that don't allow them. We have heard a number of "reasons" including killing the grass (they had to have some to start with), no unattended animals allowed, etc.

Certainly, there will be as many who don't care as the number who do, and since they are so compact and storeable it's probably no big deal.

One of our considerations, however, is safety, since we have seen any number of dogs loose, or get loose from folks and cats in an enclosure where they cannot naturally bolt to safety could be traumatic for all.

We had our 20# cat on a leash outside, tied to a chair, with me standing there, and a dog barked, sending the cat and the chair under the coach. He snapped the D-ring holding the chair when it slammed into the coach and we found him five coaches down about to climb up into the underbelly of a large coach. The best laid plans....

Being outside with them and observant would be very key.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Taos Monte Bello RV Park, El Prado, NM

DiGiacomo

• ---
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
Since we lost our kitty, my wife has been feeding a couple of ferrel [sp?] cats and and six weeks ago, i found these little ones in my a shed that does not get any winter use,.......i named them Irene, Ilene, Camo, and Boots  :)

i found a rescue source that works with Petsmart, so they are now safe and waiting for adoption..............now we have to try to trap mom to get her in to be neutered....

this seemed appropriate for this thread?? ;D
Don & Joanne
86 bounder 454 gas
american car dolly

sierrasue

• ---
  • Love to travel !
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 11:40:37 AM »
Yes, the kitty tent would only be used periodically for all the reasons you stated. But,at times I think it would be a good idea.

Don, that is great that you and your wife are helping out the feral cats!!!

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:41 PM »
This is the way to full-time with cats! Sorry about the short ad at the beginning of the clip.

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

sierrasue

• ---
  • Love to travel !
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 12:47:20 AM »
Well, that is pretty cool !!! But, I will never be able to afford anything like that! Nice the way it is set up ! Beautiful ! and I bet the kittys aprove .
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:50:56 AM by sierrasue »

jlazar

• ---
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 05:55:28 AM »
How do you folks handle the litter box.  Where do you keep it?  Do you all use a closed top?

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 06:10:54 AM »
How do you folks handle the litter box.  Where do you keep it?  Do you all use a closed top?
I am a full timer living by myself in a 32 foot class A that is owned by three cats. I have two litter boxes that are sold with a closed top, but I threw the tops away, since they are not needed. I have both my litter boxes in the shower. My shower doesn't have a glass door, it has a shower curtain which makes it easy for the cats to enter and exit the shower. The litter boxes are the ones with the built in sifter. So every morning I sift both boxes and toss out the poop. It takes under one minute to clean the boxes and I never have any odor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DK60E/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have asked a number of different visitors to my RV if they could smell any odor at all from the cats and everyone agrees there is no odor. If there was an odor there would have been no cats. The first cat I got was on a money back guarantee. If there would have been an odor problem I would have returned the cat and got my money back. Fortunately there is no problem with odors.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
We just use a Rubbermaid plastic container. Our cat is a vigorous coverer in the litter box, so we needed higher sides than the usual litter pan. A covered box would be inconveniently tall for the location we use (beside the bed). Also, a previous cat refused to use a covered box, so we are skeptics.  Haven't tried the current furry child on one, though.

Where to put it depends on the layout of your rig and your personal preferences. In one rig I was able to install a hatchway into an adjacent compartment, which was ideal. In others we have placed the box in the shower, and in another at the end of  row of cabinets. Whatever works...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

kburttsc

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
   Some cats cannot take higher temps and/or humidity - especially long hairs, or, in my case, a Persian. Their nose is pushed into their face so are not able to intake air as readily as other cats. I discovered this one hot summer when my cat started panting heavily and his tongue began to turn color. Have had 2 vets verify to me that "any" cat in temps well over 100 degrees run the risk of heat stroke.

In the Sacramento area I have rarely experienced a summer without spells of 105 to 110 and higher outside temps. Last year when I arrived in Laughlin the outside temp was 112 - and it took a lot of time for the A/C to even get it down to 100. If the air would go out, I don't care what the breed, inside temps well over 110 would be bad news for a cat.

hmmmm not sure about cats not liking ac??? I agree with ya Bob.. My 2 cats love the fan they do get hot... and they will find a cool place when they get hot.. in front of the fan.

SoCalToolGuy

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »
I see you already have many replies but let me chime in too. My wife and I fulltimed for 3 years with 3 cats. We bought a very nice cat carrier/habitat like the folks who do cat shows use. It had a hammock and everything. Our cats did so-so but we had one that was a yowler if that is a word. Anyway, we stopped at a roadside stand in Texas to buy so fruit and I decided to try one cat back in the 5er. It worked so well that they all ended up back there. Our Hitchhiker had MorRyde IS suspension and it rode great. My wife left an open bottle of water on the table one time and it was still in the same place 300 miles later. Also, one of our cats is so laid back that she would climb up onto her cat tree and ride there watching the world go by. The other two would ride under the sofa. I guess it all depends on the personality of your kitties. If it wasn't against the law, I'd suggest putting the kids back there too. Much better for the old folks. JMHO.

Ray

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »
This is the way to full-time with cats! Sorry about the short ad at the beginning of the clip.

R
The link is already no good. Do you have another, or a description of it so I can search for it?
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

herekittykitty

• ---
  • Birch Bay, WA
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »
Great to hear that at least one family has fultimed with cats in a 5er, because I haven't yet seen any motorhome with a layout that says, "home", and we'll probably be spending a month in any location we stop in (less driving, more living-in).

Good tip about the quality suspension. If we can make sure we get upgraded suspension, it sounds like a 5er might work out for us after all. Was beginning to think we'd have to buy a MH just to appease the cats :)
Karen and Teddy-the-Kitty
Mostly stationary for now in a 32' Class C (2013 Winnebago Access Premier)

jomarex

• ---
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
My 3-yr-old Fuzzy Baby (aka Jemmy) always had a handy doggy door in the house. She didn't like the abrupt change to the motorhome, especially because she couldn't go outside. I felt so bad for her, but didn't let her out for awhile because of the safety issues.

Did nervously let her out after a couple of months in the MH, when I had paid for a month at that park. She was scared to death, which I was glad to see, and she stayed pretty close by. Oh yeah, she was happy to get out!

Tried the harness thing, taking awhile to get her used to it, but when I finally took her outside on it, she just backed out of the harness. So, I just let her out every few days when I'm going to be in one place for a few weeks more, and now she doesn't even want to stay out very long.

Litterbox (another big change we both had to get used to) -- have tried it several places, and now I'm thinking maybe I'll put a cat door in the toilet-room door and put it in there...
Joy
for sale -2004 Winnebago Adventurer
-planning to stay put for awhile in my new-to-me '07 Franklin TT
-plus three hairier-than-me beasts

Hosted by Over The Network