Noisy water pump - is that normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4DogsRV

After purging the fresh water supply (the dealer in Sparta had winterized the RV) and following the instructions regarding setting up the automatic pump function, I turned on the faucet today and the pump kicked in (as it should). Only thing was, it was quite loud, it sounded like a helicopter was flying by. My neighbor who has a 27ft pull behind, commented that his pump was also quite loud. I just wanted to confirm that this is normal.........

We've wondered the same thing about ours. Someone, tell us, please!

-Roni

Water pumps can be very noisy, especially when priming and sucking air.  We finally ditched our SureFlow 5.7 SmartPump with a Remco Aquajet 5.5 and sometimes it's very noisy and sometimes it's not - haven't broken the code on that.  If water is coming out of your faucet at a normal flow rate, I wouldn't be that concerned.

There will always be some noise from the pump. How much depends partially on how it is mounted. Most have rubber feet to help dampen vibration noise ...if overtightened they will be noisier. A steel bulkhead or floor will vibrate more than a wood mounting surface. And if water lines near the pump are against walls or floor or anything else, that can add to the noise.  Adding a loop of rubber line at both input and output also can help dampen some vibration and noise.

Click the Library button above and look in the Fresh Water Systems section for an article on noisy water pumps.

If yours is like mine, it's mounted on the plastic wall of the water bay.  To reduce the noise, I removed mine and mounted it and an air tank on a piece of 1X10 fir, then mounted it back on the wall using large rubber grommets.  It's very quiet now, and the air tank has eliminated any surging.

Yeah, sometimes the pump can be noisy. The quietest one I have had so far is a pump called a "bypass" pump from Shureflo.  It really minimizes the cycling from the pump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom