Early Spring Alaska Highway Update and trip report!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wigpro

Technically I am not finished with the Alaska Highway since I am sitting writing this in Tok, Alaska, still about 108 miles from the official end of the Alaska Highway....but I can give you some facts for my trip so far.

My entire trip started in Kingman, Arizona and it has been a long trip. But this will only recap the stats for the Kalispell Montana to Tok portion of the trip.

• Fuel Costs - total spent from Kalispell until this afternoon -$1,168.40 - with price per gallon varying from $3.32 stateside to $6.10 in Destruction Bay today on the last leg. The Canadian price is not figuring any exchange rate as it is almost par. The average Canadian price was $4.969. The more remote the area, the higher the price, no shopping price every place open was the same when there was more than one open.
  • Even though 95% of most everything was still closed, I had almost no problem finding fuel along the way. I mis-calculated once and was at the mercy of a friendly Canadian who helped me out with his spare gas. Next stop I purchased two 5 gallon containers and filled them, only to not need them so far!
  • I was able to find RV parks open or willing to at least get me to a spot for electric. Charges were minimal from $20.00 to $30.00 per night. Many with WiFi and cable TV.
  • Driving conditions over the past week have varied, but the roads were clear for the most part, only had two days of driving snow packed roads.
  • The roads were much better than I expected, I feared the worse with the entire Alaskan Highway full of rough patches and frost heaves, but surprisingly it was only today's travel which was the worse....from Haines Junction to the border. It was very rough at times with a couple areas with no road...gravel. But they were short and looked to be in the process of fixing, since there was road equipment around. The frost heaves and rough sections were flagged and coned with plenty of time to slow down. Several areas had signs warning to SLOW DOWN, they were the worst areas, so take heed when they tell you to slow down.
  • All the towns had restaurants open, although I ate my own food or packed my lunch....budget!
  • I only had one real weather delay for one day and one other day to get some repairs done. Alternator went out in Red Deer, my first leg of the trip, no other issues so far.
Since so much was closed and all the beautiful lakes are still frozen over I can't comment much on the touristy stuff as I was traveling through, but from what I could see there are or will be some amazing places to stop and spend a day or two along the way! Some wonderful lakes and beautiful areas with wonderful looking campgrounds and RV Parks.
If you want some more details, you can read my blog which is linked below my signature. Or hit my web site and send me an email. I will try to answer anything you may want to know.
Here are a couple more hints:[list type=decimal]
[*]Make sure the fridge is latched (especially on the rough section) and just so you know, plastic ketchup bottles are NOT breakproof!
[*]Beware when opening cabinets - I got beaned by a can of Bush's Baked beans!
[*]Have the suspension system on your vehicles checked before you depart. Tow vehicle, toad and RV.
[/list]Enjoy,
Jim

Yeah, we quickly learned to put the baked beans on a lower shelf too. ;D

I've been reading your blog almost every day, Jim, and enjoying it so much.  I especially enjoy seeing pictures of all the places we visited on our trip in 2000.  How different they look with so much snow around.

Margi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom