Our startup costs for full timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GR 'Scott' Cundiff

We've been in the RV full time for a bit over a month now and my official retirement day is tomorrow. As we prepared to go full time I kept pretty good records and I've now shared them in our Blog. I think it might be helpful to anyone contemplating the move. You'll find it here (link in sig line).

Conquest aka Robert said:
Intresting  numbers you came up with didn't see cost of RV listed. ::)

I mentioned that in the introduction to the numbers.  I think people will have to decide for themselves what they want to spend on the rig.  And, honestly, I didn't want to completely spill our financial guts for the world to see.  ::)

Thanks for sharing. Real data is always helpful.

A couple comments, aimed primarily at others who may be reading this:
1. Some of those costs are annual, e.g. memberships of various kinds, while others are one-time costs.
2. Some of the one-time costs are related to the choice of the RV that was not included. For example, the RV might come with a washer/dryer, or with a surge protector. And it may not need a new tv or tires.
3. I think many of these costs would be the same for any RVer setting up a rig for travel, so much of this data is applicable beyond fulltimers as well.

Hi Scott,
  When I click the link in your sig line, I get to the blog, but I can't seem to find any sort of numbers regarding getting started full timing.  What am I missing?

Thanks

Ron

I think it's been bumped off the first page.  The easy way to get it is to scroll down just a bit to where you can see the tag cloud on the right.  Click on "budget" and it will take you right to it.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.

Thanks, Scott.
  You seem quite well prepared. 
I'd like to see your monthly budget too, when you get it on the blog.  Hope you enjoy the full-time lifestyle. 

Ron and Joyce

hoddinron said:
Thanks, Scott.
  You seem quite well prepared. 
I'd like to see your monthly budget too, when you get it on the blog.  Hope you enjoy the full-time lifestyle. 

Ron and Joyce

I have two months of our monthly budget "in the can."  At this point, though, I think it's pretty meaningless.  For instance, this trip is a six month journey with expected towing of just over 4000 miles.  However, we towed a fourth of that amount in the first month.  Obviously, our diesel cost is skewed high that first month.  I think that I'll be ready to put together a quarter's budget at the end of July, although I'll probably combine some items, etc. that I actually keep separate on my spreadsheet.

Anyway thanks for the interest!

Heading west next week (from Florida to Washington State) and was wondering what kind of diesel prices you're seeing?

Ron

hoddinron said:
Heading west next week (from Florida to Washington State) and was wondering what kind of diesel prices you're seeing?
Ron

I use www.gasbuddy.com to keep up with current/best gas/diesel pricing

It is interesting to note, too, with GasBuddy that not all stations in a given area are listed. We have found a number of gaps, especially in the Utah/Montana/Idaho area.

While it will give you pretty accurate trending of fuel prices, it's not a good solution for locating every available fuel stop. I have located discounted fuel several times that was not in the list.

I don't make the news, I just report it.  8)

GasBuddy, I believe, relies on its users to report current prices, so if no one reports, there are no prices.

No resource is a be all to end all, but gasbuddy.com does give one a good idea of what fuel prices are doing in a general region. If you're looking for the best discount prices in any given locale...more research would be in order. I personally do not shop for the lowest price (I am not saying that pennies don't add up to be dollars) when I am traveling, as I am normally looking for the easiest in and out.

A side note on gas prices: I find I end up paying more when I'm towing.  Most of our moves are less than a tank of fuel but sometimes I push it beyond that and end up filling up while hooked up.  That stops me from getting fuel at some stations, often including places like Walmart that often has good prices on diesel (especially if you buy using a gas card).  I end up buying fuel based on how much room there is at the pump rather than the price.  Gasbuddy doesn't help that much when I'm towing because it's all about location and price rather than room! 

GR 'Scott' Cundiff said:
Gasbuddy doesn't help that much when I'm towing because it's all about location and price rather than room!

I use the station photos on GasBuddy and Google maps very successfully to find the prices and space that I need for my rig. Using the overhead view is a habit picked up from flying into small airports that are not familiar. Some places have better resolution than others but its a good source of reference, especially if you can get a Google street view.

skyking4ar2 said:
I use the station photos on GasBuddy and Google maps very successfully to find the prices and space that I need for my rig. Using the overhead view is a habit picked up from flying into small airports that are not familiar. Some places have better resolution than others but its a good source of reference, especially if you can get a Google street view.

I can see that GasBuddy + Street View could came in handy for planning stops.  In our case, we seldom fill up while towing.  As the primary drive and primary computer person I would need my darling wife to pick up the pace on one or the other.  8)

Back
Top Bottom