Questions on Coleman tent trailers and NADA web site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donuts

Hello again. In reading many posts, I see that Coleman has had problems with the roof cracking and leaks in the roof. Since I am looking at a 2003 Coleman Niagara Elite, I am now concerned that I could have a problem in the future. 2003 was the last year that Coleman made tent trailers until they started up again around 2009 I believe. Is this roof problem isolated to just older models?
Also, I read in one post that Gary said when using NADA, do not add options to get to the value. Can anyone explain this.
I really want to get this tent trailer because it looks new, but I do not want to overpay. They are asking 7,700 and with options added, NADA values it at 6,970. Thank you in advance for any information that will help me make a solid decision.

Stan the donut man

The reasons I recommend NOT adding for options:

1.The market price is "as typically equipped" rather than strictly by factory base price. Dealers and buyers are more likely to deduct for missing amenities than to add for things that may have originally been extras.

2. The options list has all conceivable things an RV might have, but the "year notes" do not define in detail what was standard or not. It usually mentions a/c, tv, and a few appliances, but typically neglects many other standard features. For example, one NADA entry I looked at mentioned the coach has a stovetop, oven, and water heater  as standard, but neglected to mention the refrigerator or furnace or microwave (all standard in that model). If you went by their list, you would be adding all kinds of options that were in fact 100% standard.

3. Most options are personal preference items and do not have universal appeal anyway.

5. And the dealer doesn't add anything for them when you trade in!

That said, on a basic unit there may be an option that is a big ticket item and fairly unusual for its class. For a Pop-up, an air conditioner is often a significant add-on item. So might an awning, since most pop-ups do not come with them or have them installed. So, use some judgement. If the item is of significant dollar value and wide appeal, add some value for it.

Gary, thank you for the explanation. Is there any other source I can use to value this item? What i see are tent trailers priced similar with the same options or close. Actually, one of the option items on the NADA form was a manual roof lift system. That seems crazy and should be auto electric lift.

Keep in mind that the NADA values for RVs are not as accurate a reflection of the market as the NADA values for cars.  Their methodology is different, and the volume is lower.

Actually, one of the option items on the NADA form was a manual roof lift system. That seems crazy and should be auto electric lift.

As I said, the Options list is generic to all RVs shown in the NADA RV Guide, so any given item may or may not apply to the RV you are considering. If a particular pop-up or Hi-Lo trailer indeed had an option of manual or electric lift, the powered lift would certainly be a significant add-on. But most do not have that choice, and you shouldn't select the "auto electric lift" option simply because the RV has one and you see it in the list. It was probably standard, and even if it wasn't, larger pop-ups were nearly always equipped that way anyway. That's the "as typically equipped" angle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom