Class A vs B price difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

68chstiger

I've been looking at motorhomes and noticing that the smaller class b's are just as or more expensive than the bigger class A. Is it a production thing or what? The A seems like a lot more for your buck.

They are very different markets in many respects. While they are both RV vegetables (and good for you!), they are the same only different.

Class B folks are typically looking for maneuverability, smaller size, maintenance ease, and dual usage, i.e. no need to tow a car to get around, go to the store. And there can be some economy of initial investment.

Class A folks need more storage space, possibly travel a little longer or spend more time in it, need some elbow room, and can tow another vehicle easily enough.

It is a bit difficult to compare the two just in price except they both fill a need to be on the road and have a good time!

And for us, there was the bang for the buck thing... 8)

Hi,

I think you'll find that most of the B's you're looking at are diesels. If you compare them with class A diesels the ratio will be more reasonable. Also, there is much less demand for B's and therefore less competition.

Ernie

68chstiger said:
I've been looking at motorhomes and noticing that the smaller class b's are just as or more expensive than the bigger class A. Is it a production thing or what? The A seems like a lot more for your buck.

Class B will never give you as much square footage for the dollar spent as, well, anything else.

Most noob RV buyers want the most space for the dollar and most manufacturers cater to that.

Class B rigs, though once a reasonable entry level RV, are in today's market a niche product, mainly serving customers who travel alone or as a couple and who value mobility over space.  Many buyers use their B vans as an ideal form of transport for long trips rather than primarily as a means of accommodation at their destination.

On the cheapest RVs you pay a few dollars more for extra space.

On somewhat nicer RVs you pay a few dollars more for bolt-on doodads: motorized steps, vents with rain sensors, automatic awnings, bigger fridges, outdoor TVs, generators, inverters, etc.

Take it up a level and you start paying for chassis and mechanical upgrades.

Add another few thousand bucks and you can start getting more windows and a higher quality interior build.

When you think about it, open space is cheap......it's the amenities that cost $.....  At the same time, when you have a lot of that "cheap" open space, that comes along with expensive frontal area and reduction in fuel economy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom