Sorry....take YOUR dog somewhere else (they say)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oscar,

I agree 100%.  And I love the Belgium Malinous.  Like I said first, this is one of the 2 only acceptable breeds of apprehension dogs in our department.  They are very very high maintenance.  They are EXTREME high energy dogs!

Its just very ironic that these 2 dogs are not on the list. 

Are the Colorado state parks ok with Rotties ? There are several in the Denver area.

As for the "banned" breeds, my parents had a Doberman / Pit Bull mix. She had been raised with labs and actually thought she was a lab. Used to get very frustrated at lakes because she couldn't swim as good as our lab. She was a sweet, wonderful, goofy dog. But because of her breed mix (and looking at her, there was no doubt that she had pit bull in her), Mom & Dad's home owners insurance increased.

I once thought I'd like to own a campground until I stopped and thought about the cost and the work. Banning breeds is just one of the hard decisions owners have to make. Me, I'd ban any dog under 15 pounds, but that's just me.

Wendy

Often, political campaigning by the ignorant, brainwashed and the frightened led to a city, state or province wide ban. Where there are such breed specific laws the best way to bring about change is to demand that owners face jail time for animal cruelty and financial restitution for damages and the retraining that can save an abused dog. Denver is one of the cities that ban rottweilers and bullies. Anywhere in Denver and your dog can be taken from you and will be killed.

Many of the parks where I wanted to stay at in Tucson had such bans; so, with Poppy, we stayed away from them and I won't go to one, even without him, to a park that has a ban on any breed. The both the US Army and the Marines ban them from their housing. Ontario bans bully's -so you have to check every month on updates.

Here is a link to the cities in the USA that have breed specific laws, those that removed them and those turned them down:

http://rott-n-chatter.webs.com/

In New Mexico, our legislature was persuaded to turn down a breed specific law and will consider a state wide ban on all breed specific laws in the next session. This is the approach that is most effective. Massachusetts already passed such a ban and voided all existing breed specific laws. To educate people we need a "Rin Tin Tin" in every named breed, make that over 25# breeds as there are 75 breeds banned somewhere! 

In looking at parks in an area of TX from Schertz to San Marcos and Gonzales, one park banned dogs over 15#. That means only terriers and chihuahuas would be left to tear up my ankles.

Bob Maxwell said:
As of March 3, 2013 Denver still banned Rottweilers. http://rott-n-chatter.webs.com/

Mile-High Rotties doesn't list them as banned and it's based in Denver.

If they are banned, then it's not the campgrounds' fault for saying thay're not allowed.

If you want to slam someone for the "Banned Breed Rules", slam the insurance companies.

I manage a large apartment complex. Our insurance policy specifically bans certain dog breeds:
1 ? Pit Bulls
2 ? Rottweilers
3 ? German Shepherds
4 ? Huskies
5 ? Alaskan Malamutes
6 ? Doberman Pinschers
7 ? Chow Chow
8 ? Presa Canario
9 ? Boxer
10 ? Dalmatian

If we choose to allow any of those breeds on our property, we not only are not covered for any damages, we lose our insurance all together.

Bias or not, we do not allow those dogs on our property based on the risk of losing our insurance coverage, not based on our fear of the dogs.

BTW......... if I rented to someone with any dog on this list, half of my tenants would move out..... I'm thinking that the RV parks may be thinking the same thing. The fear may be falsly based but it is fear none the less and fear has consequences to businesses.

While I appreciate your response Waverly and understand your hands are bound by your insurance company I wish to point out to you what I said several times....this particular park stated that it is NOT because of their insurance.  It is their own policy because Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, and Pit Bulls are animals that are prone to violence and aggression to others.  For you, it may be insurance related but for the purposes of this post, I am not talking about them. 

It is obvious your tenants are afraid of big dogs (since you listed most of them).  Understandable.  Many people are.  I personally do not think dogs like Shepard's or others that need ton of exercising should live in an apartment complex anyways. 

Reminds me when I went to Ohio state 20 some years ago and were apartment/house shopping.  We were about to sign a lease on a house and asked the Asian landlord if we could get a dog/pump.  In his Asian accent (very poor English) he said yet but NO WOTWiELER

In laws were in Florida this past winter and a few rv spots away a dog got out of a rv and killed another dog in the park.  Not a clue what kind either dog was.....

I wonder if many times its the insurance policies of the camping areas mandating no pets at a certain size or specific breeds not be allowed. 

I'm sorry but, in this litigous society, I don't blame a property owner from trying to limit their liability by this means.  I'm not saying it's right - I love large dogs and Rotties have always been my favourite.  However, with everyone wanting to sue everyone for every little thing that's going wrong in this world (and winning, for pete's sake), as a campground owner, you don't want to potentially put yourself into a situation where someone can come after everything you have because of one incident where a large breed took a chuck out of someone's little prissy yapper or, worse yet, a person.

As the property owner, it is their right to do so, just like it is our right to get the tires turning and head elsewhere that will gladly take our $. 

This is an interesting thread...and I've been following it.  I wasn't going to respond because it seems like I'm always beating the dead horse.  We happen to be the proud owner of a 90 lb Staffordshire Pitbull.  He is by far the best behaved dog we've ever had.  He doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body!  We take him camping all the time (to places that don't ban him) and people are always commenting on what a great dog he is.  We went to Pismo Beach with friends and couldn't take him because he was banned :(  They took their lab, and she was attacked on the beach by a standard poodle!!  I've said it a million times that I should be able to sign a waiver and carry my own insurance if I choose too.  This is just plain ignorance and also when you have a dog that is as smart as pitbulls are they are so easy to train to do anything and unfortunately there are some really stupid people out there that choose to train them to kill.  Don't blame the dog...BLAME THE OWNER!!!  Just my rant!  Sorry!!! 

Mikie

4ducksrus said:
Don't blame the dog...BLAME THE OWNER!!!  Just my rant!  Sorry!!! 
As with a similar argument in current news, this seems to be a most reasonable statement.  But, as with the other argument, risks can be reduced by reducing whatever the owner has control over that provides the risk (I'm trying to say this as delicately as possible without causing a political explosion).  I, too, bring along my long haired buddy (besides the DW) when traveling.  If she can't go (my buddy AND my DW), I don't go.  And, my little 15 lb Westie wouldn't hurt anything other than maybe a squirrel or other similar quick moving varmint that deserves it (still not sure about my DW).  Yet, she is still banned at some parks (my buddy, not my DW).  So, I reduce the risk and just don't stay there.  Life is too short to sweat the petty "stuff" or pet the sweaty "stuff".

Another rant... How do you prove/convince a campground owner that your furry friend is friendly and wouldn't hurt a Soul. A Rottie , pitbull, Westie, G.Shepherd, ****-tzu or Jack Russel, from 80# to 5#. 

In a free enterprise private business who makes the rules. There is no way to prove it. Guess we need more laws

We own rental properties - free standing homes. Although we normally allow pets, you can mark us up as part of the jerks who do not allow breeds on the "viscous" list (all mentioned above). Whatever argument you can make to point out it is the owners that determine behavior, it is unfair to black list a whole breed, etc, etc., do not matter. If we rent to a tenant with one of "those breeds" of pet and there is an incident, we as property owners would likely lose a lawsuit for allowing the tenant to keep that kind of pet. There is no way I would jeopardize my family's financial stability to allow these breeds. I empathize. I have dogs and travel with them. But fretting about how unfair reality is will not change the facts as they are.

Wavery said:
"Banned Breed Rules"
1 ? Pit Bulls
2 ? Rottweilers
3 ? German Shepherds
4 ? Huskies
5 ? Alaskan Malamutes
6 ? Doberman Pinschers
7 ? Chow Chow
8 ? Presa Canario
9 ? Boxer
10 ? Dalmatian

Boxer and Dalmatian surprised me. And I don't have a clue what a Presa Canario. Personally, I think they should add Dachshund as I have had more than one unhappy encounter with those short-legged buggers.

Wendy

Wendy said:
Boxer and Dalmatian surprised me. And I don't have a clue what a Presa Canario. Personally, I think they should add Dachshund as I have had more than one unhappy encounter with those short-legged buggers.

Wendy
You bet....... here's my 1/2 Dachshund mutt taking on my brother's pitbull ("Dude".... sweetest dog ever BTW).... It's a good thing that they can go to my brother's place to play (they are best buddies) because Dude can't come to our apt building... :-\

Attachments

• DSC04842a.jpg
    DSC04842a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 68
Sorry to be a wet blanket on all these lovely cuddly stories about 90 # canines that have an instinctive desire to hunt and kill.

As a farmer in a previous life I have seen what coyotes, wolves or "friendly dogs" can do to a 1500 # cow when the blood lust comes out.

And I have been at campsites where people with an 18' tow trailer exit with he and she both having a pair of said dogs on leashes, not solid rawhide leashes but some spindly little roll up nylon spindle hooked to their belt.

Or add a pair of huskies that tow their owner tugging and dragging over to the play pen where a two year old is playing with a parents supervision.

What is evident on this forum is that common sense is so damn rare.just because you have insurance, do you believe that gives you a right to endanger someone's child or grandchild?

I had dogs on the farm , cats too,  but they had  job to do-patrol the farmyard and keep both the two legged and four legged vermin at bay. Since our nearest neighbour was 10 miles away and had his similar animal patrol, I didn't fear his dogs and he didn't worry about mine-however if some city slicker had forgot  baby by the side of the road  while taking some "delightful" pictures of nature I might have been in trouble.

But like Hank Junior I don't believe in cats in the house or dogs either. i wouldn't take my dog visiting and you had darn sure better not bring yours.

If I find a business that bans animals, I sure will vote for them with my dollars and my feet-if you decide to go down the road where the rest of your friends hang out, thats fine with me too--as long as it is far enough away!

Wavery said:
You bet....... here's my 1/2 Dachshund mutt taking on my brother's pitbull ("Dude".... sweetest dog ever BTW).... It's a good thing that they can go to my brother's place to play (they are best buddies) because Dude can't come to our apt building... :-\

I get a good laugh out of pictures like this. Our friends' 75 lb chocolate lab cowers if a 5 lb dog tries to come over and play with her - funny as hell! And my grandmother's chihuahua was the most miserable dog I have ever met in my life. He loved his owners but hated everyone else and would challenge every dog he came close to!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom