1999 Starcraft Galaxy. Inverter. Charges when plugged in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

universe74

Hey all, new trailer buyer and forum user.  Do I need to buy a trickle charger or does the battery charge when plugged in on this trailer?  Has an inverter and I read it likely charges.  Thanks!

The make and model of the inverter or converter would go a long way to getting the correct info.

That said, it likely that it will charge the battery when plugged into shore power.

If you are plugged in to shore power and you read the voltage across the battery terminals with a independent multimeter or voltmeter (NEVER leave home without one) and it reads 13.2VDC or better, it is charging. I suggest you will find a CONverter (12OV AC to 12V DC) as opposed to an INverter 12V DC to 120V AC) but this is not necessarily cast in stone....

Rather unlikely that a 99 Starcraft has a stock inverter, but it does have a built-in battery charging system (part of the 12v converter) that should be functioning whenever the trailer is plugged to shore power.

I'll take a couple pictures for the experts on here.  The 'converter' fan runs constantly when the trailer is plugged in.  I did see a 12v cig lighter style plug under one of the seats.

In most converters the fan is thermostatically controlled and runs whenever the converter/charger heats up enough (under load). But some older models did not have a thermostat, and in some RVs the area around the converter/charger stays warm enough that the fan runs most of the time anyway. And there is the possibility that it has a failed thermostat and it just runs. Does your question concern the fan operation or the charging?

A 12v utility outlet is present somewhere in most RVs. It is powered by the converter when on shore power and by battery at other times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom