I saw daylight through the carpeted floor!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

Yesterday while trying to find an air leak under the front end, I  suddenly realized I was seeing what looked like a pinhole of daylight through what should be the carpeted floor to the right front of the co-pilot seat !!  I looked closer, saw 3-4 little dark spots, and a pin-prick of light through one of them if I got at just the right angle. :eek:  I rolled out from underneath and looked inside ...everything looked normal ...huh?  I called DW out for assistance, rolled back underneath, and had her slowly move her hand around on the carpet in that area ...yep, the light would disappear when she passed over the spot.  Looking closely, we found a thin spot/seam/hole/aberration in the carpet, and if a finger were put into the spot the light was not visible underneath.  When I feel the dark spots underneath with a long reach, they feel like rust pops or perhaps small rivet holes.  The floor around the tiny spots appears quite solid and normal ...no rust, etc.  I plan to clean the area well, then apply a rust-healer followed by several coats of spray undercoat.

If holes are due to rust or corrosion, cleaning and sealing is not the best answer; temporary at best.
Area needs to be cleaned to bare metal and a metal patch or repair made to the area followed by primer and sealant to prevent a recurrence.
This is to prevent a failure and way for noxious gases to enter coach.
Bob

After several busy days, I got time to get back to the daylight through the floor issue ... are you ready for this ... ????  ... SCREW HOLES!!!  After cleaning the area with a wire brush I had two holes passing daylight from above, and found a total of 6 screws holes through the floor, in pairs about 4-6 inches apart. And there is NO REASON for screw holes here, unless the floor installer missed the structural member by 2-3 inches, and REMOVED the missed screws to re-try ...  Oh well, I guess screw holes are better than a totally rusted out panel. I checked the other side and found nothing there. I cleaned it all up, applied 3 coats of rust-curing paint, then 3 coats of rust-proofing undercoat.
www.pjrider.com/DaylightThroughFloor1.jpg
www.pjrider.com/DaylightThroughFloor2.jpg
www.pjrider.com/DaylightThroughFloor3.jpg
www.pjrider.com/DaylightThroughFloor4.jpg 

Don't feel too bad. On our last 5th wheel, an installer missed a rail underneath the floor and put a screw into the black water tank and of course he then removed it. It took about two years before I ever filled the tank to that level....what a mess then ....had to pull all the insulation etc.

Back
Top Bottom