FMCA 4-Wheeler rally - Moab Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
A number of RVForum members are also members of the FMCA 4 Wheelers group.  We are at Portal  Resort along with  200 plus members spread across RV Parks in Moab.  So if you call for a reservation you will know why  the park is "booked."

Frank and Barb Weimart, Gary and Colleen Ferguson, Terry and Betty Brewer, Bill Roscoe &  ( Corrine is AWOL until  RVForum Rally )  John and Jane Canfield, and Ernie and Tara White  (with Toby) are participating in FMCA  4 wheeling events. 
I was a seminar presenter today of the benefits of FMCA Membership. I did  a 30 minute quickie talk on all the things we get by being members of FMCA.  I hope to do a repeat  seminar at the RVForum rally.

My main objective  in posting tonight  is  to share with you the run we made today.  There were only 6 of us  and the run was Kane Creek.  It was awesome. We had  flowers blooming, cactus blooming , creek running,(over 16 crossings)  lupine blooming and  a  section of  challenge that had me out of the vehicle walking (so I could take photos)

Please notice in  photos I post how close Terry is  to a ledge!

Ok now I need to search for the photos  before  it times out so stay tuned.

Photos of Kane Creek run 5/6/13.

Attachments

• Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 9-07 AM.JPG
    Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 9-07 AM.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 9-047.JPG
    Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 9-047.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 12-007.JPG
    Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 12-007.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 12-014.JPG
    Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 12-014.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 12-036.JPG
    Kane Creek 13 May 6, 2013 12-036.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 67
Did you get rained on ?

Pretty cactus pic. Looks like a Claret Cup. Hopefully some rain will bring out more wildflowers.

Yes it was a claret and we only got a sprinkle.  Just enough to keep the dust down.  It did rain  all night.  Today  sky was black and we got  some rain on the trail but it cleared up for lunch and our hike to Tower Arch and Eye of Whale  Arch.  We have had a total rainfall of .15 inches in the past 4 days.  so  not much.

Hi,
Today we tested slick rock for sticky when wet. We ran Tiptoe through Hell (and high water) and found that traction changed little if at all on the slick rock ;D Sand and rubble is another story entirely, but everyone survived. Pics when I get time.
Ernie

The fun started Monday (actually earlier for us since we arrived late last week) running trails.  We've worked our way up to the harder trails and did a 4.5 trail (out of 5.0) Monday (Cliffhangar) and a 4.0 trail today (Metal Masher.) And today we apparently broke our rear locker - parts are ordered at the 4x4 shop and we should have that fixed by end of Thursday.  We can still off-road with a little more inconvenience, so that's what the plan is for the moment.  Thursday is a rest day and we lead a 3.5 trail Friday so we're anxious to get our Rubi back to 100% health status.

Here's a few pictures - very few are of us, enjoy.

Attachments

• Climb.jpg
    Climb.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DonTippyPlace.jpg
    DonTippyPlace.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 65
  • LunchOverlook.jpg
    LunchOverlook.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 57
  • TippyPlaceLongView.jpg
    TippyPlaceLongView.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 58
  • UsJacobsLadder.jpg
    UsJacobsLadder.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 53
  • LJclimb.jpg
    LJclimb.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Obstacle_a.jpg
    Obstacle_a.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 51
  • LittleClimbJJRubi.jpg
    LittleClimbJJRubi.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 52
  • DonJohnSpotting.jpg
    DonJohnSpotting.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 52
  • Tony.jpg
    Tony.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 50
  • TonyWinchingUp.jpg
    TonyWinchingUp.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DonClouds.jpg
    DonClouds.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the pics John,  We are  not going to see any of that run in person.  How do you get theose captions and arrows and such in the photos?  Great stuff!

Thanks Betty!  I use Photoshop for image tweaking.  We were doing Behind the Rocks (4.5) today but the trail leader called about an hour ago cancelling the run due to the bad weather (I know the area needs the rain though.)  This will give me some time to get a video or two edited and uploaded.

Tip Toe thru Hell and High Water....

Attachments

• tiptoe_224008.JPG
    tiptoe_224008.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 62
  • tiptoe_094436.jpg
    tiptoe_094436.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 61
Thanks  John,
We called our trail leader and he said the trail is a GO.  So we will sit inside our rig for lunch cause the chairs sitting on top are soaking wet. Plus it is still sprinkling out there.  We ran part of the of trail yesterday and there is so much slick rock that rain  will hopefully have no effect.
By the way I posted under rallies, so you may want to merge your topic and mine.  4 wheeling is  likely a better place.  Have a nice day off!

Betty

Cool pics John.  Wish we were there.  I am so excited for next week.

Will you still be there for the RV Rally next week or are you leaving after the FMCA rally?

Mike.

On a side note, will you guys PLEASE get all of the foul weather over with prior to our arrival this weekend. 8)  We want blue skies and sunshine.

Mike.

Thanks for posting those pics Betty.

I am anxiously awaiting your FMCA presentation so have is polished to perfection by next week.

Kane Creek is one that I have been wanting to run but was nervous about some of the "tight" spots with the shrubs and trees, you know, SCRATCHES.  I am sure it can't be any worse than the one you drug us to last year. ;)

Mike.

Betty,

Nice descriptions and even better pictures...thanks. 
We will see you next Sunday May 12th.

JerryF

Sorry about the broken stuff John, but you know about Jeeping and what comes with it. Looks like a great time for you all. Nice to see Tony from Genrite there. Does he do a lot of the FMCA events?

By safe.

And by the way. My high school golf team made the state tournament yesterday! :)
We get to play two day at the premier coarse in Idaho on Monday and Tuesday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom