Freelander 3100 hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2LEFTHANDS

We have a new to us Coachman Freelander 3100. The hitch is rated for 3500# and I would like to upgrade it. Will a hitch for a Ford E450 fit or do I need to purchase a "RV hitch" that is adjustable?
Wondering what model of Class III/IV hitches people have on their Freelanders.
Thanks.

Ben

I can't help with the fitment of other hitches on your motorhome but I would like to say that "upgrading" to a hitch that is rated for heavier loads doesn't mean you can tow any more weight. The hitch that was installed is probably rated at or above the vehicles tow rating already. The owners manual should tell you the max trailer weight you can tow.

The literature with e vehicle, including the statement glued to the wall in the closet, and everything that I find online state that the towing capacity is 5000#. The hitch on the vehicle is rated for 3500#.
I have since ordered an adjustable RV hitch to install.

Thanks.

I am unsure just what an 'adjustable' hitch would be but, in order to change the hitch to a higher rating you will have to remove the old one, insure the frame or frame extension can handle the higher capacity, and weld in the new one. (This is quite apart from the rating of the engine, brakes etc.)

As an example, the one difference I noted on the various C class vehicles I was checking out at the time was that the Ford chassis and the methods used to extend them most often permitted using a 5000lb capacity hitch whereas the same RV on a Workhorse/GM  chassis did not.... The lower capacity hitch was installed for that reason in most of the cases I looked at.

I would at least check with the RV manufacturer (Coachmen) to see why the  lower capacity hitch was installed in the first case. (I DOUBT it was only to save a buck or two!!) The new ones (2012) with either chassis seem to have a 5000lb hitch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom