Exhaust Headers - 460 Ford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PancakeBill said:
What the heck were you sailing?  Machine shop onboard?  Dang.
Passport 45 ketch... center cockpit. The engine room was under the cockpit. We had to walk through my shop to get to the aft cabin  ;). It was a pretty slick set-up.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 45
Gary, you say not enough tranny with the command mod.  In what way, did the extra power harm the trans?

Bill,
I meant not enough gears to get the power to the wheels in a usable manner. As Lou says, the E4OD has a huge gap between 2nd & 3rd, , so that as soon as you overtax 3rd (any sort of grade), it drops into 2nd and you slow down to around 25-30 mph, which pretty much maxes out 2nd unless you love to hear that 460 scream at 4000+ rpms.  A 5 or 6 speed would have been nice, but the Gear Vendors does a fair job of providing extra gearing as well.

Gary, OK, I know what you mean, just thought it was normal....

Wavery, very nice!  I had some tools, could usually fix anything I needed to, but in a 26' Paceship sloop.  Nice boat but a Yanmar one lunger diesel.  It was a bit tempermental, and the diesel kept trying to grow stuff to clog the filters.

Wavery said:
Holy Cow!!!!!!! Check out what I just scored:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261212973566&item=261212973566&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

I just happened to check about 15 minutes after the guy listed them on eBay for $360.......  ;D

Now...... I just have to find a place to have them ceramic coated....... or do it myself.... ;)

Good score!

I'm curious why you want to ceramic coat the 408 stainless headers?
Please make sure and fabricate a heat shield for the starter and the items in the left frame rail. The E brake cable on the left side will fry and is very hard to replace.
Also, where do you intend to put the O2 sensor?

Richard

rls7201 said:
Good score!

Please make sure and fabricate a heat shield for the starter and the items in the left frame rail. The E brake cable on the left side will fry and is very hard to replace.

Richard
The ceramic coating keeps most of the heat inside the pipes, where it belongs. If the pipes are left uncoated, the heat escapes too fast. That results in not only cooking everything around but it hurts HP (slightly).

driftless shifter said:
Ceramic coated headers still get hotter than the hinges of hell. Got the burns to prove it.

Bill
Of course...... so do the cast iron, factory exhaust manifolds.  ;)

The problem with un-coated headers are that the thin pipes allow the exhaust gases to cool at a much faster rate, resulting in a disrupted exhaust flow. The very reason for installing headers is to increase the exhaust flow for increased performance. Some people even wrap headers with a special insulation to prevent heat loss.

After spending years at drag strips around the northeast,  headers and dual exhaust, especially if combined with a cold air intake have always proven to improve fuel economy and performance on non-hybrid vehicles.  Make sure to install a heat shield for the starter (I have been creative with old license plates for this), and buy the right plug wires and boots.  Forget about cooling the actual pipes with coating to the point where your old plug wires will work.  Just buy high heat wires and silicon sleeves with the proper boots.  It will be money well spent.

rls7201 said:
Good score!

Richard
I may have to buy the "Y-pipe" and connector from Banks (another $300  :-[). The O2 sensor goes in the connector between the left header and the "Y-Pipe". I'm thinking of staying with single exhaust instead of dual.

I'm watching eBay and other places trying to score the parts that I need without spending a fortune on this. I have time, I can't even get to the coach again until September.

I FINALLY got around to installing my Banks Headers and Banks "Ram Air" intake....... Not an easy job by any means but not terribly difficult either.

If anyone is thinking of doing this install, let me know BEFORE you get started. I can give you a few essential and time saving tips.

We are going to Yosemite next month. Then over the Sierras to Bridgeport, Mammoth Lakes etc. A lot of high altitude mountain driving with many steep grades. I'll let you know how it goes.

So far, I have only test driven the coach locally. We have one grade near my home that I was previously only able to maintain 40MPH. On this test drive I was able to maintain 52MPH on that grade. That's not a huge deal but it does prove that this modification does increase available HP. I also kept the stock muffler and resonator. There is no change in engine noise. This coach is very quite.

I'm not expecting any improvement in MPG but it sure would be welcome. My main objective is just to eliminate the exhaust leak issue that is so prevalent in these engines.

BTW....... I have a set of stock manifolds for sale. Only 19K miles and in perfect condition. This coach never did have an exhaust leak.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Wayne, glad you got that project done. By the way I will be in Yosemite next month to.  We are due in on the 15th.
Bill
We will be there the 25th through July 3. Then we are heading to Bridgeport for the 4th..... What route are you taking to Yosemite?

I got talked into a performance exhaust system once too for my tow vehicle.    No fuel improvement no noticeable power increase.  But did sound kool

I usually take pics during an install like this but for some reason, I forgot. Here are a few shots that we did take.

Attachments

• DSC09979b.jpg
    DSC09979b.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC09981a.jpg
    DSC09981a.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC09992a.jpg
    DSC09992a.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC09993a.jpg
    DSC09993a.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 35
Just a quick update on this thread.

We are in the middle of our 1st trip with the new Banks system. We drove from San Diego to Yosemite then over Tioga Pass (10,000') to Bridgeport CA (about 500 miles).

The headers make a definite power improvement for climbing steep grades. I see little to no improvement in MPG. Although, this is the 1st real "mountain" trip that we've made with this rig so I may have had much worse MPG without the Banks system. We have averaged 6.8MPG which is in the high end of my previous trip averages.

The engine runs much cooler, even though we have been climbing 7-8% grades in 90* temps. I would say that the Banks system's real value is is in longevity and reliability (which is why I installed it in the 1st place). It may add a small amount to resale value but if someone is considering the installation on a rig that they just plan on owning for a few years, it may not be a wise investment. 

I did the same modification to a 460 that I had a few years ago.  I am sure that you know this but for the benefit of others it is very important to retorque the header bolts after driving it for awhile and the SS bolts in your picture are much better than the factory bolts.

HueyPilotVN said:
I did the same modification to a 460 that I had a few years ago.  I am sure that you know this but for the benefit of others it is very important to retorque the header bolts after driving it for awhile and the SS bolts in your picture are much better than the factory bolts.
You're correct about retorquing those bolts (37#). I did it after the 1st hundred miles and I plan to do it again when I get home from this 1,000 mile trip. I've been climbing some long steep grades (up to 8%) in 90+* temps. Everything has gotten good and hot.

Wavery said:
You're correct about retorquing those bolts (37#). I did it after the 1st hundred miles and I plan to do it again when I get home from this 1,000 mile trip. I've been climbing some long steep grades (up to 8%) in 90+* temps. Everything has gotten good and hot.
One thing that I forgot to mention in this thread is that I replaced the stock muffler with a high performance muffler

Glad it is running good. I was working on a 460 when I found my current motor home. I would have liked to finished it and had a chance to test it on Tioga Pass.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom