Gfi tripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skitter

Hi everyone i am new to this forum i have a 2005 roadtrek that i rcently purchased my issue is the first time that i tried to plug it in to shore power it tripped the GFI in my garage.This outlet is a 15 amp breaker nothing has ever tripped gfi everything is shut off in the rv excecpt the convertor. any help that you could give me would be appreaciated.

Thank You

Common problem and almost always caused by a short somewhere between the white (neutral) and ground (bare) wires somewhere.  The breaker panel and the air conditioner are the two most common spots.

A 2005 should not trip breakers however...... Many RV's do not play nice with GFCI.

Suspects included bonded neutral/bround, epically if you ahve an aftermarket inverter.  Fridge and Water electric heaters. and the converter..  That is by no means a complete list however.

Two GFI's on the same cicuit will not work. If your van has a built in GFI, that will cause the other one to trip.

Maybe the GFI is bad or 15 amp is to small for the power you are wanting. I would try another location that has a 20 amp...

Gary,

It appears you are right. I was repeating what I had been told. After I researched some, I found you can have more than one GFI on a cicuit. I will no longer repeat things I have been told without research. Thank you for the lesson.

On the other hand, since this seems to be a fairly common problem, try using a non- GFI protected circuit for the power you need as long as the breaker for the given circuit doesn't blow.  You may be chasing ghosts for quite a while as these beasts are very difficult to track down.

I was repeating what I had been told. After I researched some, I found you can have more than one GFI on a cicuit. I will no longer repeat things I have been told without research. Thank you for the lesson.

I've been burned that way myself, and more than once too. There are a lot of myths running around on the internet. Folks enshrine their hearsay beliefs on a spiffy-looking web page and it looks like sound and important advice, but too often is not. Often, we have been told something by our fathers or by a friend whose expertise we trust, only to find later that they were repeating as facts things that are either myths or hopelessly out of date.  Best I can advise is to try to find more than one source and use sources that have some actual credentials in the subject.  And even that isn't foolproof.

Thanks everyone for your input,I had it at the dealer after three hours of diagnosing they called the manufacturer of the converter they told the tech you can not plug that converter into a gfi protected circuit problem solved ,I just returned from a two day trip to crystal. River fl. Everything worked fine my next dilemma is trying to figure out how to make as king bed with the cushions I have any photos would help I have a 21 popular the manual does not help much I am not sure that I have the the cushions that I need I have a 2005 21 popular thank you all again for your input you are a great group.           

Skitter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom