Rear Panel Bonding Agent Failing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 2011 has had all the fasteners on the front hood repaired several times, last time I did one side I used small machine screws and JB Weld. The JB Weld alone would not adhere to the residue of the sealant Winnebago had used.
Now that I am on the road, I opened the rear hatch to check the oil after Winnebago serviced the coach week before last and the bracket on the top drivers side was completely broken loose. I would have thought Winnebago would have noticed!
Winnebago has put 3 machine bolts through the metal frame and slotted the fiberglass to add additional support for the hinge attachment on the top edge of the fiberglass rear hatch. The problem was the drivers side bolt had pulled out of the fiberglass slot as well as the adhesive bond breaking. I was able to get the machine bolt back in the fiberglass slot and tighten it so there is some attachment on the drivers side. But a more permanent repair awaits me when I get home.
At least I am back on the road after waiting on Cummins to make a SCR Catalyst for the last week.

Happy Travels,

RedT said:
In the 9+ years that I have owned my '04 Meridian, I have reattached several of the infamous bonding failures. Each time was with JB Weld, and each bond has held - some as long as 8 years. I am confident that, if the surfaces are prepped properly, mechanical fasteners that can and will cause the fiberglass to crack, are not necessary.

(On each repair, I have observed that the metal attachment was painted. I removed the paint, drilled the metal attachment to provide more bonding surface, and "reglued" the joint. I'm sold on JB Weld.)

Same here RedT.  On my 2004 Meridian I have re-glued one of the rear hatch hinges, both front headlight brackets (one of them broke loose the first day of a 6-week trip and I had to tie it somewhat in place with a piece of rope just in case it would fall out completely and thank goodness I never had to drive any in the dark), and both front hood hinges in the 9 years I've owned it.  Some are holding from 2 years ago and others much longer than that.  If the factory hasn't yet learned that you can't glue painted surfaces together we've got  worse problems than I thought.  On the front repairs I switched to JB-Weld Kwik, which sets up in 4-6 minutes so it almost doesn't need any clamps but you really have to work fast.  Gluing the coach parts back together kind of brought back my childhood days with model airplanes and automobiles, only on a much larger scale.
Just hoping nothing really critical is glued in place, like the front wheels, brakes, or steering wheel.

Hello,  Thank you all for the helpful information. It's really great that we can come to a place like this and receive the advice of other RVers that have had the same problem and come up with an answer.  It makes me want to send a donation to the founders to show my apparition. 
After reading all the responses, I have decided to use JB Weld for my repair. I think the key is in the preparation.  Ruff up surfaces, removing the paint and cleaning everything  before clamping them together is the answer. I think if  Winnebago would have  used  this  procedure, we would not have had a problem. Again,  thank you all for your help.  If this does not hold  I can always drill holes and use medal fasteners. Wish me luck.  Paul

We always appreciate the donation! But please, post up some pics when you are done to help the next poor soul that has to deal with your same problem. 

Hello everyone,  I took a trip to Pigeon Forge and the JB Weld is holding.  We are taking the G-kids to Disney World. After this next trip if every thing is still holding I think it will be safe to say I made the right choice.  I'm still going to think about the possibility of mounting bolts. I'm sure there are  decorative chrome emblems with sliding bolts to attach them with.  I'm thinking of something like the chrome strip on the older cars but like I said as of now I think the JB Weld is going to hold.  Again thinks for all the good advice and when I return from Disney with the G-kids I will let you know if I have had any problems.
Paul

Hello Everyone,  We are back from Disney World and my fix is still holding.  To reiterate my repair process.  I removed the medal mounts that had separated from the bonding agent that Winnebago had used, I removed all the paint from the surface that the JB Weld would be applied to. The old bonding materiel was sanded down some and ruffed up.  I cleaned all surface with acetone , I used a lot of JB Weld, 1/2 package for each mounting bracket. I used "C" clamps to hold to repair for about 24 hours. Thanks again or your guidance. Paul

Lord Fusor Products are made for boning all types of Body panels etc.
They are used for bonding Automotive 1/4 panels and all types of Body Panels.
The web site is below, contact them and tell them what you're bonding and
they will have the correct product. Good Luck and Happy Travels.

http://www.lord.com/Products-And-Solutions/Adhesives/Lord-Fusor-Products.xml

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom