RV Park Recommendations for Crater Lake, Florence, OR and Glacier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D

D2

Does anyone have recommendations for good "big rig" RV parks at Crater Lake, Florence, OR and near Glacier NP.

Thanks,

D2

I just came through Glacier NP last week.

I enjoyed my stay at Canyon RV Campground one mile east of Hungry Horse MT and ten minutes from the west side of the park.  You can walk down an easy path to the Flathead River and flyfish.  It takes big rigs, has full hookups, and priced under $30.  Call ahead because they often book up.

One negative is that while they allow pets, they will not let dogs walk down the river path.  This greatly dismayed my Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Be careful on the east side of Glacier. parts of it are closed due to fire.  In fact no campofires are allowed anywhere in western Montana which is under Phase 2 fire control as of last night.

At Crater Lake try Diamond Lake RV park, which is on Rt 138 just outside the north (back) entrance to Crater Lake N.P.  Has big rig sites and full hook-ups. Listed in the TL direcotry under town of Diamond Lake.

Near Florence, OR there's Woahink Lake RV Resoort. Tel. (800) 659-6454. I've not stayed there, but they say they have sites up to 75 feet long.

Thanks, Gary.  I have heard the mosquitos will carry you away!!  Have you been on 199 from Crescent City to Grant's Pass?  I've read Mountain Directory and received a couple of opinions from "kinky road at first then straightens out" to "I wouldn't take your rig on that road".  (We have a 40 ft. MH towing a Tahoe).

Thanks,

D2

Oddly enough, the KOA at West Glacier is an excellent park, outstanding even.  It is also on the Glacier Shuttle Bus route as a stop.

The NPS campground at Crater Lake has sites that will hold a 'big rig'....we parked in one last year in our 28' motorhome and could have put another 30' rig in with us. Of course, not all sites are big enough. But you can't get closer to the park than to camp IN the park.

We stayed at Mountain Meadow.  A couple of pictures and comments here:

http://joelmyers.net/2005/09_sum05/18_lake_McDonald.html

I drove through the KOA at West Glacier and decided that I liked Mountain Meadow better.

Mountain Meadow is further from the park & closer to the grocery story.  Mountain Meadow is spread up the side of a hill. It is very rustic (read ungroomed).

The KOA is well back from the road and level.  It is HUGE and struck me as crowded.

You probably remember the area where they stick the big motorhomers.  It is kinda like camping on a putting green with concrete pads.  I camped in the woodsy area they have set up for smaller rigs and trailers.  You are in a willow and aspen grove.  Kinda neat.

Carl Lundquist said:
I camped in the woodsy area they have set up for smaller rigs and trailers.? You are in a willow and aspen grove.? Kinda neat.

One of the benefits of a smaller unit, huh, Carl? Of course, those peskies trees block dish reception  ;)

We've stayed in and liked Woahink Lake RV Park in Florence, Or and in Diamond Lake for visiting Crater...but know that Crater Lake is going to be really miserable for finding plain old parking this summer with their upper parking lot undergoing massive redoing so I don't know how easy it will be for getting even tow vehicle parking. For Glacier, we liked both the KOA and North American RV Park in  West Glacier...both have large open sites.
Jan McN

I have heard the mosquitos will carry you away!!

We were there in  late May and they were still cutting away the huge snow drifts on the park roads. Not a mosquito in sight!

Have you been on 199 from Crescent City to Grant's Pass?

Nope - we took 138 to Roseburg in our 36 foot motorhome.  Winding, downhill road but  a beautiful drive.

RV Roamer said:
We were there in? late May and they were still cutting away the huge snow drifts on the park roads. Not a mosquito in sight!

We were there (Crater Lake) last July and didn't see or feel a single mosquito. However, they were doing some major construction at the main rim area (lodge and visitor center) and the parking up there was horrendous. Don't know if they're done or not but I'd recommend leaving anything big in a campground and drive the tow or towed vehicle to the rim.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!!  They are really helpful

Joel - we enjoyed your travel log, great pictures and can't wait to see Glacier.  Thanks for posting.  Regarding Ron's driver, Bert, we saw a gorilla at Traveler's World in San Antonio in April.  I wonder if that was Bert.  ???

Hopefully, we can leave northern California on Tuesday headed to Crater.  We arrived in Trinidad, CA almost 3 weeks ago and decided we needed new tires.  We ordered them from Les Schwab in McKinleyville and was told it would take 3-5 business days (they were ordered on 7/21).  A week ago Thursday, we were promised they would be in on Friday (7/28).  This past Wednesday, we were told the freight company lost the tires and they had to be reordered.  How do you lose 6 tires weighing over 100 lbs. each?!?!? :eek:  They promised they would be here by Friday (8/4).  Now they tell us the tires "missed" the truck that left Sacramento coming to McKinleyville.  They tried to get a special shipment to deliver them on Saturday but that didn't work so now they tell us they should be here by tomorrow (Monday).  So our one week visit has turned into three weeks with no guarantees the tires will be here tomorrow.

I feel like we are in the Twilight Zone.  "A couple visits Humboldt County, never to leave".  :eek:  Fortunately, there are worse places to be "stuck".  It's been very cool here (Highs in the 60's/lows in the high 40's/low 50's).

Thanks again for the recommendations and keep your fingers crossed that we are able to leave this week.

D2

D2

For Crater Lake, I stay at Joseph H Stewart State Park, the "A" loops the best. Many sites with backends over 50'; the last one I stayed at was 88'.

Water an elec only, dump ofn the way out. About 40 min from Crater Lake ( I had no issues with parking there three weeks ago but the construction is still going on at what will be the main vistors center). Joseph Stewart used to be first come, first served but this year they started taking reservations via "Reserve America" so keep that in-mind.

The parks also about 40min from Medford and a hour from Grants Pass.

As for Hy219, drove it on that trip. Construction going on which made it interesting  :eek:and we had about a twenty min delay.

It's sunday Aug, 13th. Not sure where you are and headed, but if you are going down I-5 into Ca after Crater Lake Mt.Shasta area is a great stop. Lake Siskiyou campground nice and over 89 towards McCloud, Dance Country RV Park and serveral USFS parks. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom