June 2nd uke concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
The Delta Strummers are rehearsing seriously for our June 2nd public concert. We expect this event to be a sellout.

Our regular guitarist will be on vacation, so we have two guest guitarists to fill in, one playing bass riffs and the other playing rhythm. Our guest hula dancer (for the Hawaiian numbers) is also lined up.

The soloist for the closing number won't know until the last minute/second if his (my) voice is up to scratch (no pun). I don't normally use a mic/amp for this size auditorium, but I plan to practice (something I don't normally do or need to do) using a sound system I have here at home.

Meanwhile, I've been asked to sing at a Mothers Day event next Tuesday. Today the event leader was almost begging me to sing.

If anyone is going to be in the area (June 2nd) and wants to attend the concert, let me know ASAP; I'll need to grab tickets (on my dime).

At last evening's practice we were accompanied by the two guest guitarists who will perform in the concert with us. We were missing several players/singers who were on vacation, but we still had a critical mass to make a good sound. A few of the numbers were a little rough, but we'll either fix them during the next couple of practices or drop them.

You'll both be waiting a long time  ;D

The only way we'll get a good video is put someone on a tall stepladder.

When I get calls for bookings, I have to restrict venues to the east part of our county; Most of these folks don't want to drive more than 30 minutes  :(

This is the time when logistics kick in. Last-minute plans and actions necessary to make this (appear to be) a 'professional' show get activated over the next few days. My latest seating plan has 32 Delta Strummers performers, including two guest guitarists (bass and rhythm). The venue will be set up on Saturday, including seating and audio equipment. For the first time, we'll use several mic's on long elevated booms in an attempt to amplify the entire group.

Chris and a couple of other ladies will man the doors and accept ticket reservations. Looks like this might be a sellout, or close to it. Several members of the press have been invited, but we never know if they'll turn up.

I'm still 'iffy' on my solo to close out the show; Chris and I have had sinus infections and post-nasal drip, which really messes up the vocal chords. We're both currently on antibiotics.

Another successful concert by the Delta Strummers. We played to a full house this afternoon, and there was 'standing room only' for latecomers. Lots of audience participation on the singalong numbers. The soloist managed a half-decent rendition of God Bless America to close out the show, and the audience was on its feet singing along by the second verse. I chose to use a mic' for this one.

We take a summer hiatus after a concert review/critique on Tuesday, an open mic' session the following week, and a social gathering at a local restaurant. Every one of the band members deserves a break after working/practicing hard for today's show, and I'm especially looking forward to the break.

Several performances are scheduled for the fall, and we've received a request for a concert at yet another venue.

A number of RVing and boating friends were in the audience today, and we talked afterwards about the ukulele being the ideal on-board instrument due to its size.

FWIW here's the draft of the concert program, complete with a few typos that were corrected prior to printing. The printed version was double sided and folded, so the page sequence looks 'wrong' in the attached file.

Too bad I won't be around for tomorrow's review/critique session to hear the audio recording. But I'll get a copy later.

Attachments

• SS IV Concert program rev 1.pdf
    135.7 KB · Views: 8
That was quite a program!  I am envious of people who can develop a talent like you have and can participate in something that seems to be so much fun. 

Is there any way to post a link to part of the audio program to allow members to appreciate what went on and your talents?

Don't know about my talents John, I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Most of the stuff we play and sing is in the wrong key for my voice; Our MD transposes and rearranges a lot of stuff to make it easier for newbies to play and, for most folks, easier to sing.

Let me see how the recording came out (I won't be home for another week or so).

Mike Spellman, a talented local singer and musician, attended our June 2nd concert and wrote a very nice review for submission to a local publication.

[font=arial, sans-serif]When I told my wife we were going to a ukulele band concert, she excitedly replied, ?Oh!  You?re taking me to Hawaii!?  [/font]
?[font=arial, sans-serif]Not so fast, sweetheart,? I told her.  And then I explained that Hawaii was actually coming to us in the form of the Delta Strummers, a 35-member troupe of toe-tapping ukulele players from Brentwood and surrounds.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]From their rousing opener, ?San Francisco Bay Blues,? kicked off with a boisterous ?One, two, three!? from director, Ernie Macintyre, to their closing emotionally charged, ?God Bless America,? the Strummers covered such diverse musical genres as ragtime, folk, gospel, even Broadway and rock for the sold out house.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Joined by Jim Peddicord on bass guitar, Jim Rankin on acoustic guitar, and Norm Soucy on washboard and cow bell, the pleasing hum of 35 ukuleles (properly pronounced oo-koo-lay-lee) gave a new feeling to Arlo Guthrie?s ?City of New Orleans,? while staying true to their Hawaiian roots with ?Little Brown Gal,? featuring Diane Korsten dancing  the traditional hula.  The audience joyfully joined in with the Strummers? voices on ?Side By Side,? ?Country Roads,? and the aforementioned, ?God Bless America.?  My personal favorite, Ricky Nelson?s, ?Hello, MaryLou,? was lively proof that not even rock ?n roll can escape a talented ukulele band?s playlist.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]The Delta Strummers have taught at least a dozen of their new members the fine art of the ukulele in just the past year [two dozen in the last two years].  It is a testament to the Delta Strummer's musicianship that the group is rapidly becoming one of the most entertaining acts in East County?and you don?t have to spring for airfare to Hawaii.[/font]

So when does your album come out? :)  Nice review.

Back
Top Bottom