Old solar panel - what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

universe74

So the trailer I purchased has this...

http://www.universe.bookerb.com/solar.jpg

My very broad question is....what do I do with it?  Seller said all I need is two wires.  Can you experts shed some light on how I would get this working again?  Thanks.

universe74 said:
So the trailer I purchased has this...

http://www.universe.bookerb.com/solar.jpg

My very broad question is....what do I do with it?  Seller said all I need is two wires.  Can you experts shed some light on how I would get this working again?  Thanks.
They are usually only ~10W. They're only intended to maintain a fully charged battery while the RV is in storage. You might want to put a voltmeter across the wires coming out of the panel while it is full Sun. If it is putting out less than 15V (no load), it's pretty well useless. They are OK for what they are intended for but useless for charging the battery while camping.

You can add a 160W array for around $300. I just ran my wires down the fridge vent, then down through to the battery compartment.

Ah ok thanks.  So I could just basically run 2 wires down to the battery over the winter without running them inside and remove when summer comes.

universe74 said:
Ah ok thanks.  So I could just basically run 2 wires down to the battery over the winter without running them inside and remove when summer comes.
If the panel is working at all........ what year is it? Those panels have a habit of being done between 5 & 10 years. The biggest problem is the way that they were installed. There should be a 1" to 1.5" space between the roof and the panel. Whith no space, they will over-heat and fail prematurely.

From the looks of that panel, it is most likely shot. Test it for output.

I think I am seeing water intrusion on the near side of the pic. If so fuggetaboutit!

fuggetaboutit!

First time I remember seeing that...like it tho..

George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom