2013 RVForum Moab ACTIVITIES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
I've started a new thread to announce the RVForum activities since this rally began officially at 4 pm today.

Introductions were held and even Jared, our youngest member, could not remember the names of everyone.  We have lots of  new faces and  people who have only been on the RVForum for less than 24 hours!  Good recruiting Jerry. Ron Maribito reminds us he is the  most senior member among us.  Our hero!

The schedule of activities was Hammered out subject  to mass confusion and changing of minds. CB Channel 34 will make morning announcements to summarize events of the day.  Or check the colored board in the pavilion. Happy Birthday to the BIG Larry! ( Wish we had known) or maybe we did and forgot!

Awards:  As an annual feature we present awards  daily. 

Terry got Care Bear for helping Bill R with providing information on  his tablet and more stuff to buy! 
Ardra got Happy Face for steering Jan and Olga (from  Australia) to the Grand Canyon as they tour the  USA.
Kim B got the Goofy Award for  putting  Anti Freeze in his power steering thingy. Not sure I got all that right but  the fun has begun!

Near as I can recall, here are the events scheduled for Monday May 13, 2013

Daily Pancake Breakfast 7:30 to 8:30  courtesy of Portal

4 Wheel Drive trip to  LaSalles to see snow, led by Daniel Haxton.  9 am  Line up by Pavilion?

White Rim Trail (partial) led by Frank  9 am  Line up on Portal's Driveway.

I know a group was going to do something else like a hike but they did not write it down, so  who  knows?
Please correct me if I'm wrong or missed anything.

Photos to follow.

And here are our  winners from the day!  Watch out , you may be next!

Attachments

• IMG_4194.JPG
    IMG_4194.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4196.JPG
    IMG_4196.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4197.JPG
    IMG_4197.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 39
Well we may be seeing a Goofy Award in Fred's future.  I've copied his plea from Moab sign up thread to here  so more people may see it.

Hello
Virgie and Fred just got settled in at Moab in slot 22. I left the house in Dallas so quick I forgot my lap top Dell charger. Would anyone happen to have a charger I could use.Call me at 9727686718

For all you off-roaders, just a reminder to bring chairs, camera, and lunch. Please depart your site at 8:45. And attend the driver's meeting at 8:50. Departing for a day full of fun, fantastic photo ops, and great memories at 9:00 a.m.

For first timers to Moab, a great place to start is the Moab Visitor Center. There is a ton of info there on just about any thing your interested in. Including the Rock Art Auto Tour, and the Moab Area Self-Guided Auto Tours brochures.

If you have an FRS radio ( walkie talkie) it would be good to bring on an off road trail so all vehicles  cane keep in touch.  We will also use CB radios to communicate if you have one in the vehicle.

All right, Donna and i have tears of envy in our eyes for not being there with you.  We still think of last year's Rally as the best we have ever participated in.  Everyone have a great one, have a pop or few on our behalf, but above all, be safe and enjoy.

Ed & Donna

We are leaving Las Vegas (sounds like a movie) in 15 minutes.  Hope to be there by happy hour.  Can't wait to meet everyone.

Steve & Dee

As an experiment we rode our bicycles from portal to the ArchesNP visitor center and back on the primo Moab bicycle trails.  The TC was pleased.

taoshum said:
As an experiment we rode our bicycles from portal to the ArchesNP visitor center and back on the primo Moab bicycle trails.  The TC was pleased.

How hard was it to get across the highway in front of Portal ?

If you go at 0600 hours like I did Sunday, not...

Wish I had known Gary was headed that way...Christi wanted to do it, and Larry and Kathy were talking about it after I did it Sunday and raved about it. They have done a really great job with getting us bikers off the highway. There are places on the highway you can negotiate with traffic, others not so much. I used to have to go down to the light and cross.

The new pedestrian bridges across the Colorado River are wonderful!

I will have to corral some of the other bikers and lead a couple of no-drop rides.

Wendy said:
How hard was it to get across the highway in front of Portal ?

two comments... at 9 ish the traffic is much lighter so we had no problem, it's Monday as well... sometimes the traffic is much worse of course.  but, turns out there is an underpass at the bridge for bikes so coming home we took that and used it to cross 191 and return to Portal.  soon the 191/128 intersection will be finished and will include a bike lane so it might be even better than it is now.

skyking4ar2 said:
If you go at 0600 hours like I did Sunday, not...

Wish I had known Gary was headed that way...Christi wanted to do it, and Larry and Kathy were talking about it after I did it Sunday and raved about it. They have done a really great job with getting us bikers off the highway. There are places on the highway you can negotiate with traffic, others not so much. I used to have to go down to the light and cross.

The new pedestrian bridges across the Colorado River are wonderful!

I will have to corral some of the other bikers and lead a couple of no-drop rides.

we will likely do more soon, we will post when we know but probably not at 0600, maybe 1800?  we started about 0900 today.

skyking4ar2 said:
Gonna give you my Goofy award, Gary, riding at altitude in 90 degree heat late in the afternoon....  ;D

Si, no el concepto de tiempo.. 2000 mucho mejor  after el Sol starts to go past the ridge, mas bueno.

lo siento

These were taken on Dome Plateau Saturday.  Since we are going later in the week, I thought the Arch pics might inspire some to come along.

The lone person in the second and third pic is our own Betty Brewer.

Attachments

• DSC_7292b.jpg
    DSC_7292b.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_7298b.jpg
    DSC_7298b.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1937b.jpg
    DSCN1937b.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_7311b.jpg
    DSC_7311b.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 59
These were a bunch of homeless people at dinner last night at Moab Brewery...Debby, Randy, Kathy, Larry, Chip, Bunky (and I now know the full story), Mary Ann, Don, and Christi....

They were very happy during and after!

Attachments

• IMG_1316_540_homeless.jpg
    IMG_1316_540_homeless.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 58
TUESDAY May 14, 2013  ACTIVITY SCHEDULE

7:30- 8:30 Pancakes at Pavilion.

8:00 Downhill bike ride ( 9 Miles) 
9 am Chicken Corner  off road.
9:30 am Tower Arch/Klondike off road.
9:30 Arches "101" Hike down Park Avenue.

7:30 Site M-31 Tara Concert!  Bring  chairs.
8:30  Ron Maribito Slide Show. 

Have a fun day and stay tuned  this evening for my report on the Awards after I get back from the store.

Back
Top Bottom