2013 RVForum Moab ACTIVITIES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At 7:15, yes 7:15 AM!, Chip and Bunky Borkowski, Don and Mary Ann Nesbitt, Ken and Sheila Kuch, Betty Brewer, Tara White and Christi Bertram departed Portal for the Negro Bill Trail to Morning Glory Bridge.  The early hour was a good decision as it allowed us to complete most of the 4.5 mile hike before the day's real heat arose.

We all had a good time seeing the geological sights, relative abundance of flowers, and the special treat of a class of repellers descending behind Morning Glory Bridge.  When Ken and Sheila lead the hike, entertainment is assured!

Below are pictures which will give a flavor of the hike!

Attachments

• Chip, Bunky,Mary Ann,Tara, Betty,Christi,Sheila, Ken and Don at Negro Bill Trailhead.jpg
    Chip, Bunky,Mary Ann,Tara, Betty,Christi,Sheila, Ken and Don at Negro Bill Trailhead.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Negro Bill Trail Yellow Flower 2.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Yellow Flower 2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Negro Bill Trail Watching You.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Watching You.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Negro Bill Trail Waterfall.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Waterfall.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 27
  • Negro Bill Trail Reflection.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Reflection.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Negro Bill Trail Red Cactus Flower.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Red Cactus Flower.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Morning Glory Bridge First View.jpg
    Morning Glory Bridge First View.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Negro Bill Trail Ground Squirrel.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Ground Squirrel.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Negro Bill Trail Desert Rose.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Desert Rose.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Negro Bill Trail Red Cactus Flowers.jpg
    Negro Bill Trail Red Cactus Flowers.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 23
Saturday May 18, 2013 Activities

Do what you want all day.

12:30 Movie  Star Trek  Leave Park at 12:30 Movie starts at 1pm.

5:30 Red Cliff Lodge  Last supper  Leave Portal by 4:45 as it is a long drive.
We'll do Final Awards after dinner.

What an evening.  Portal RV  out did themselves with a wonderful chicken dinner tonight along with a family concert.  They  did a raffle  and  passed out  hats,  cook books and the big one.... a one week FREE stay at Portal.  Congrats to Kim and Christy for winning this  super prize!

We bid adieu to  Gary and Colleen  who leave for home  in morning. Hope to see them next time  and even sooner!

Awards Ardra  passed Goofy on to Henry who has been deserving of the award all week but today he did a 4 wheel drive trip  on one wheel!  He tried to lie but there were too many witnesses!

Randy  kept the Care  bear, well he actually awarded it to himself for caring for his  Golf friends  today.  Was something fishy about the  scores?  hmmmmmmmmmm

Gary  presented B ill R the  Happy Face award along with this  poem for his help spotting the group on the  4 wheel trip today.  Who knew Gary was such a creative poet?

Roscoe to the Rescue

Thank Goodness it's Friday
Doc Roscoe is on Duty
On Spot, Right On
Spotting the Jeeps

Cliffs, Rocks, Holes and Sand
Makes no difference to the Man
Kept us all in Line
Narry a fall just Fine

So here's to Spotter Bill
Left a little, Come Straight
Easy, Right a little, Now Down
There you are, safe and sound.

And here's your Reward
You did Good
A Cloth Flower
With immense Power

thx, GnC.

The Portal drew raffle tickets and  I've posted the winners.  Tara knitted 2 sets of slippers for winners too.

Attachments

• IMG_4524.JPG
    IMG_4524.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4525.JPG
    IMG_4525.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4522.JPG
    IMG_4522.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 32
On our off-road today, this little guy showed up; a Collared Lizard.

Attachments

• Collared Lizard 1.JPG
    Collared Lizard 1.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Collared Lizard 2.JPG
    Collared Lizard 2.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 48
A few pics from today Jeep run. It looks very easy but only a few jeeps make this climb.

Attachments

• 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 37
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 30
Betty Brewer said:
Randy  kept the Care  bear, well he actually awarded it to himself for caring for his  Golf friends  today.  Was something fishy about the  scores?  hmmmmmmmmmm

He he
Nothing fishy about the score. Just 2 different way to count. We count penalty shots in Australia and that messed me badly. one of the reason to have most points.  ;) ;) ;) 
But I know that I am not good golfer. I warned them in advance.
Ron win fair and square. :)

Dang, Frank!  I've been looking for a Collared Lizard the last three years out here!

Nice job catching him on the run!

Don

Frank I will post your 2 photos of collared lizard on my reptile website if you don't mine.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/
I started this forum 15 years ago.

After almost a week here at the rally, Dee and I just want to say thanks to all the great framily members who have made this a great trip for a couple of first time attendees.  All of you have really made us feel like part of the group. A special thanks to Frank and Barb for letting me go on my first ever 4 wheel drive trip with them.  Also a big thank you to a couple of framily members who suggested that we try to make an advance reservation in the Bryce/Zion area for the next stop on our trip.  This morning we got the last available electric site in Watchman CG for Tuesday and Wednesday next week.  It will be our first time there.  I hope framily members who have never attended a rally make plans to attend one.  You guys are great and this rally has been one of the best trips we've ever been on thanks to all of you!  ;D ;D ;D

Steve & Dee

Jan

Here's a couple shots we took last year at Goosenecks...You can use them if you want.

Attachments

• Goosenecks 2012-014.JPG
    Goosenecks 2012-014.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Goosenecks 2012-015.JPG
    Goosenecks 2012-015.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 31
FrankW said:
On our off-road today, this little guy showed up; a Collared Lizard.

You better check with Christi.....that's not a collared lizard, it's a yellow spotted lizard  ;)

Thank you Terry, I will use them.
Wendy I will let experts on my site to identify them. I am more in snakes my self. Thanks.

Yesterday's travels if the Happy Flower and Goofy.  The arch was above our lunch spot.  Terry picked well!  :)

Attachments

• DSC_7524b.jpg
    DSC_7524b.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_7527b.jpg
    DSC_7527b.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_7529b.jpg
    DSC_7529b.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_7532b.jpg
    DSC_7532b.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN2120b.jpg
    DSCN2120b.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2122b.jpg
    DSCN2122b.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 25
Some flowers from yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_7512b.jpg
    DSC_7512b.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_7513b.jpg
    DSC_7513b.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_7514b.jpg
    DSC_7514b.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_7515b.jpg
    DSC_7515b.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_7540b.jpg
    DSC_7540b.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_7541b.jpg
    DSC_7541b.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_7546b.jpg
    DSC_7546b.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_7548b.jpg
    DSC_7548b.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_7551b.jpg
    DSC_7551b.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_7559b.jpg
    DSC_7559b.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 15
Bill, you have some really nice flower photos.  Three are wonderful clumps of Indian Paintbrush.  The thing I noticed this year is the Mormon Tea plants that were in bloom.  I don't believe I've seen it blooming before and some of the bushes were more yellow than green.  The one labeled 7548 is what I know as Curley Dock, others know it as Wild Rhubarb, and still others have a third name.  Regardless of the name, it's a member of the buckwheat family and apparently the leaves are edible, although I'd certainly want to be sure before eating it.  I've never seen so many Curley Docks in bloom either.  We went through several acres of them yesterday.  There also were many Cliff Roses (white blossoms) and Desert Lupines (purple blossoms).  Many people think the desert is dull and boring, but as these pictures show the flowers can be quite beautiful.  Our front yard is planted in desert landscaping (no grass to mow  ::) ) and someone sent us a photo yesterday of a magenta bloom on a cactus.

I concur that our lunch location was beautiful.  The arch and cliffs above were in one direction and the La Sal Mountains were across the valley so wherever we sat we had a view.  Goofy enjoyed his day sitting between Barb and I in the Jeep, but he really liked having his picture taken with Picture Frame Arch as a backdrop.  I had never seen a square arch so that was interesting.

ArdraF

Goofy has been a real handful today, First he slept until noon and I am so glad. Second I asked if he wanted to go out 4wheeling and he said "not with me after yesterday" so we just hung out around the RV park today. First thing for lunch he enjoyed sharing Sardines with me ,playing with some of the neighbors kids and he just had to pet every dog that came by. I went in to grab us a beer and when I came out he was on my flag pole.
  I guess I will be stuck with him since I haven't seen anyone doing anything today. So if you happen to see a goofy act please report it to me as soon as possible. Send beer this guy can really put them down. God Bless Texas!

Attachments

• Goffey 003.JPG
    Goffey 003.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Goffey 004.JPG
    Goffey 004.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Goffey 005.JPG
    Goffey 005.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Goffey 008.JPG
    Goffey 008.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 42
This is a photo of Care bear having coffee before breakfast at the Eklecticafe. Unfortunately I did not get a picture of him having Huevos rancheros. Debbie did get that picture but I need to show her how to get it posted.

ken

Attachments

• IMG_20130518_082208_823.jpg
    IMG_20130518_082208_823.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 46
Okay Henry, you may be stuck with Goofy again after seeing what you had him doing today.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom